FMG's/Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trini

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any FMG's receive invites for interviews yet?? I've only received "not interested" and getting more and more worried!:(

Members don't see this ad.

Also in the same position (FMG),no invites yet.Are you after a visa ? Any FMG's please post any experiences you think may help.

i'm a us-img. invites from albert einstein NY, UConn, and henry ford hospital in detroit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your response drlee, but we are lower down on the food chain than that ;) A Foreign Medical Graduate (FMG) did not graduate from an American University, even if it is offshore, nor do we have any immigration status in the US.......so that makes it much for difficult for us. Hopefully something will come up soon!

i wish you well in getting interviews. much luck!

I am also a non american IMG who matched in anesthesia 2 years ago. The only tip I can give you is apply to a lot of programs. I got about 10% invites to interviews (applied to >100 and got 13 interviews). The extra money is worth is.

Good luck !!

Thanks Muehlsch

I applied to 97 programs, didn't think there were much more FMG friendly ones! ;)

Maybe you can suggest a few that I can apply to.

Trini

Good post to resurrect... Just curious how it's going this year with the IMG's/FMG's and gas... so far. (I know it's early).

-Skip

Same story here.I am an FMG too with visa issues.Haven't received any calls yet although got a rejection from Univ of CT.

I was also wondering why the programs haven't downloaded my dean's letter even though it has been uploaded to the ERAS post office????Any clues???Should I call up the programs??? :confused:

boylemk4 said:
Same story here.I am an FMG too with visa issues.Haven't received any calls yet although got a rejection from Univ of CT.

I was also wondering why the programs haven't downloaded my dean's letter even though it has been uploaded to the ERAS post office????Any clues???Should I call up the programs??? :confused:

I am a USIMG applying this year. I have received a bunch of "we have your application and we will review it". Nothing else so far. I'm just glad I have no rejections yet.... cause I know they are bound to start rolling in.

To make it fair for everyone, ERAS will not let the programs download the Deans letter until Nov 1st. I had the same question and called them up.

Recieved Interviews from St Louis University and University of Florida today(9/14). My first 2! Glad the ice is broken. I can now realx. Good luck to all. :D

NO interview invites as yet.
A rejection from Rush medical.
I am not ECFMG certified,wonder how that will hurt my application
Any inputs??

serenity said:
Any inputs??

Are you a USIMG or a FMG. 90% of USIMG's are not certified until they finish everything....I'm not certified yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Swaydaa said:
Are you a USIMG or a FMG. 90% of USIMG's are not certified until they finish everything....I'm not certified yet.

Clinical skills due on Oct 2
Its becoming increasing difficult to study for the test
I hope i pass or i am doomed

serenity said:
Clinical skills due on Oct 2
Its becoming increasing difficult to study for the test
I hope i pass or i am doomed

Clinical Skills is pretty darn easy. Just took it a few weeks ago. As long as you can talk english and have some basic medical knowledge, you should pass.

Let's get some more info on invites you've received....
Those of you who have them... can you put your board scores up? Grades? # of LOR from gas docs, etc...

sevoflurane said:
Let's get some more info on invites you've received....
Those of you who have them... can you put your board scores up? Grades? # of LOR from gas docs, etc...

Do not apply to John Hopkins. Got rejection stating they do not take USIMG's. I'm glad they were honest.

Swaydaa said:
Do not apply to John Hopkins. Got rejection stating they do not take USIMG's. I'm glad they were honest.

My stats for those interested

Above average for step 1/2
Will graduate with 4.0
No publications
No research
One anesthesiology letter (not great)

Good luck to all!

Swaydaa said:

230/93 step 1
229/93 step 2
Will graduate with 4.0
No publications
No research

Good luck to all!

I just recieved another rejection or should i call it "regret" e mail from university of florida.Really wonder what's coming next.
Everyone in this forum has scores in 90s.
Is there any future for the ones in high 80s.
IMG,visa issues,3 year anesthesiology residency in home country,1 Us lor,2 strong anesthesio LOR, 88/218,82/202
Any input??

serenity said:
I just recieved another rejection or should i call it "regret" e mail from university of florida.Really wonder what's coming next.
Everyone in this forum has scores in 90s.
Is there any future for the ones in high 80s.
IMG,visa issues,3 year anesthesiology residency in home country,1 Us lor,2 strong anesthesio LOR, 88/218,82/202
Any input??

Hang in there budy. Apply wide (40-60), specially at community hospitals. I belive that is the key. Your scores are not bad at all, so don't be discuraged. In fact they are very close to the average scores for anesthesia residents. Best of luck. :cool:

Ahh.... finanilly. Wayne State University. I think I can now check my messages 40x qd rather than 80x qd. step 1= 221, step 2= 237, average preclinical, all honors thus far in clinical (except psych). Some research. :D

Harbor Hospital for Transitional (9/22)

serenity said:
Any inputs??

I was not ECFMG certified during interview season. However, I did have it prior to match day. I called every program I was ranking to tell them that I had received it. SOme programs will not rank you unless you will be certified by match day. Be sure to ask them when you visit.

I am Non-US FMG. ECFMG certified.
Invitation from Rush, Cleveland Clinic and Wayne Univ. :)

Drlee,
What happened last year? Didn't you match? I thought you had a lot of interviews? Aren't you from Ross? Where are you working now?
Good luck with interviews.
Gasdr

GASDR said:
Drlee,
What happened last year? Didn't you match? I thought you had a lot of interviews? Aren't you from Ross? Where are you working now?
Good luck with interviews.
Gasdr

The original thread was from last year..Dr lee matched at Illinois Masonic

It was bumped up for this years match

I see Dr. Lee on a daily basis and let me tell you something. He is one hell of a fantastically wonderful beautiful caring compassionate physician. I am humbled to be in his presence. Even buzzed at 2am at some Chicago club blowing smoke rings.

Good luck this year guys!

Ventdependent,

Thanks for the compliments! Congrats on finishing your two-month sentence in purgatory. I'm gonna buy you several shots of jagerbombs to kick off the new month; I just hope your acute abdomen doesn't pop up again! ;)

drlee

VentdependenT said:
I see Dr. Lee on a daily basis and let me tell you something. He is one hell of a fantastically wonderful beautiful caring compassionate physician. I am humbled to be in his presence. Even buzzed at 2am at some Chicago club blowing smoke rings.

Good luck this year guys!

After waiting anxiously for a while,I got my first interview invitation from Jackson Memorial, Miami by email
Have heard its a busy program with lots of CRNA's,any inputs??
anyways I am quite delighted,atleast something is better than nothing!!

Excellent serenity!! Congrats to everyone.

*Interviews so far:

Anesthesiology

1. University of Florida
2. St. Louis University
3. UMASS
4. UCONN
5. Louisville
6. Wake Forest
7. University of Pittsburgh
8. University of New Mexico
9. University of Missouri-Columbia
10. University of Cincinatti
11. Medical College of Georgia
12. SUNY Upstate
13. Weschester (NYMC)
14. Wash U.
15. Western Penn.
16. Albany Medical Center
17. Ohio State
18. University of Kansas (Wichita)
19. Medical College of Wisconsin
20. Kentucky
21. Oklahoma
22. Thomas Jefferson
23. Penn State

Trans/prelim

Harbor Hospital for Transitional
Griffin Hospital for Transitional
Griffin Hospital for Preliminary
St Vincents for Preliminary
St Vincents for Transitional. Mt Carmel for Transitional
St. Rapheal for Preliminary.
UCONN for Preliminary

Rejections so far:

1. Cleveland Clinic
2. John Hopkins
3. Colorado
4. Baystate

* I got a little crazy with the application button on ERAS. I applied to approx. 70% of the programs in the U.S.

Serenity...........I'm a caribbean grad who will be starting at U.Miami next July. I hear its a pretty grueling program and I've heard the same thing about the CRNAs, but you can't beat south beach. I ranked it #1 and was stoked to match there!

Good luck!

Still don't have my LORs and Transcript scaned, but got invitation to 1 program so far - Wayne State Univ, Detroit. Dont' know much about the program except what could find of their web site. Is it a good program? (cold though:eek: ) Got 2 refuses: anest. of Arizona Univ. and prelim in IM of Univ. of Maryland.
My scores are Step 1 - 91% (224), Step 2 - 98% (242).

Hi, guys,
hello serenity and vigvik!

two interviews so far - SUNY Upstate and MGH.
One preliminary IM and one preliminary surgery.

hoyden said:
Hi, guys,

Nice to see you here too.

hoyden said:
Hi, guys,

Great! Hope to see you there on interviews :thumbup:

Hi, everybody!

Yes, I hope to meet you there too :)

Just cot confirmation from MGH and invitation from U of Florida.
H :luck: appy

Just recieved a call fromm them.Have heard ,its not a great program.Can anyone throw some light!!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=104256&highlight=university+mexico

I decided to check em out as I was in Arizona during that portion of the interview cycle. Overall the anesthesia staff are very approachable. You will become despondent if you are a city person. However if the outdoors are your thing UNM is a great place to be.

Being an aggressive learner seemed to be the key to success at this program. Best o' luck.

Swaydaa said:

Above average for step 1/2
Will graduate with 4.0
No publications
No research

Good luck to all!

Congrats on your record. Would you mind sharing about well you did on your basic science shelfs? Thanks and congrats on your interviews so far. Good luck on the interview trail.

awdc said:
Congrats on your record. Would you mind sharing about well you did on your basic science shelfs? Thanks and congrats on your interviews so far. Good luck on the interview trail.

I did average to above average on all the shelf exams. I did notice a direct correlation with areas I scored well on shelf to the actual step 1 exam.

I hear they no longer require Ross students to take All these exams. We had to take every darn shelf exam....It did help to get a gage on where you stood compared to the U.S. students.

Is it possible to get a prematch in Anesthesiology?
Does anyone know which programs offer prematch

It has been nearly 10 days now and I am not hearing any good news from anywhere.
Is it still early to worry?
Recieved a rejection e mail from Suny upstate.
Have started to become a bit uneasy..............

MT. Sinai in NYC....hopefully more to come...

serenity said:
It is difficult to predict what will happened this year, but one of my friends have been offered prematch in Cleveland Clinic last year.

serenity said:

Brookdale Hospital Center in Brooklyn, NY. Actually, rumor is that they barely even look at ERAS and that the majority of their residents come from pre-matches.

-Skip

serenity said:
It has been nearly 10 days now and I am not hearing any good news from anywhere.
Is it still early to worry?
Recieved a rejection e mail from Suny upstate.
Have started to become a bit uneasy..............

Hang in there - and apply widely, I think that can not be overemphasized.
I also got the boot from SUNY upstate...

Recieved an invitation to interview today 10/18
They say they wish to interview for CA-1 position
Isnt this program categorical as well?
They have a description of the Clinical base year on their website.
Dont have any prelim calls from anywhere....

Me too - West Penn by e-mail, Westchester by snail mail. :luck:

To make it sour - two rejections from transitionals. :(

hoyden said:
Me too - West Penn by e-mail, Westchester by snail mail. :luck:

To make it sour - two rejections from transitionals. :(

Also got Weschester and Western Penn today. Got Medical College of Wisconsin a little later.

Will be at Western Penn on Saturday Jan 22nd.

GOT THE BIG BOMB from Colorado today....that one killed me!

Hey, Swaydaa,
what is you "big bomb" ? :)

I'll see you at West Penn :D

Hope serenity will be there same time :thumbup: