FML 4 Interviews 1 wait list, 1 deffered, 1 rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedapplicant

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the f#$% do I do now?

I'm already a re-applicant. I got some killer early interviews - and I thought I did really well! Only to find out I was rejected, deferred, wait listed in that order!

To say I feel crestfalled, crushed, defeated is almost an understatement.

But God Damn It I want to a Doctor!

I'm not sure what the weakness is - my gpa is 3.3 but sgpa is 3.7 mcat is ps 12 vr 11 bs 12 R - 200+ hours volunteering research, phlebotomy...
only thing I'm weak on is community service leadership BUT I am heavily involved in a 12 step group but didn't want to put that in becuase of stigma and now its like **** should I have included it?

What do I do now! I have another interview soon and I'm waiting to hear from the last one but seriously wtf do I do now...I really don't think I interview badly...

ugh this is so freaking depressing/upsetting irritating/humiliating and just awful

Members don't see this ad.

What the f#$% do I do now?

Continue your activities, write a letter of interest to the school that waitlisted you, send update letters/letters of interest to schools that you haven't heard back from after being marked complete

I'm already a re-applicant. I got some killer early interviews - and I thought I did really well! Only to find out I was rejected, deferred, wait listed in that order!

Sorry to hear that. Were they schools that you interviewed or applied to in the previous cycle?

To say I feel crestfalled, crushed, defeated is almost an understatement.

But God Damn It I want to a Doctor!

I'm not sure what the weakness is - my gpa is 3.3 but sgpa is 3.7 mcat is ps 12 vr 11 bs 12 R - 200+ hours volunteering research, phlebotomy...
only thing I'm weak on is community service leadership BUT I am heavily involved in a 12 step group but didn't want to put that in becuase of stigma and now its like **** should I have included it?

Depending on what school you applied to, that 3.3 may be a huge hurdle to overlook (ie if all top 25 schools). Leadership and community service are big holes to be missing... what about non-clinical, non-academic activities?

What do I do now! I have another interview soon and I'm waiting to hear from the last one but seriously wtf do I do now...I really don't think I interview badly...
Go to some practice interview session where they give you immediate feedback (ie premed counselors or something). It's hard to judge yourself because you always feel like you did well (and your school interviewers will almost always be polite and tell you that you did well irregardless of whether or not you did well). It requires a person with some outside perspective to be able to provide constructive criticisms. Did you ask the schools from the last application cycle for any feedback?

ugh this is so freaking depressing/upsetting irritating/humiliating and just awful

chin up. You got 5 interviews during your re-application cycle which is supposed to be more difficult so you have something going right

wat's FML?

You have a really solid application dude - I don't understand why you're having bad luck - maybe you're applying to the wrong schools - try applying to the "easier" schools even if you feel you're better

If it helps - i have 3 rejections - 2 future interviews - 0 acceptances

Members don't see this ad :)
FML = F$%K My Life lol

All the schools I have had interviews at I didn't apply to last cycle - and I applied to 40 schools this cycle all tops mid and "bottom" (is there such a thing in the us?). Was early. Secondaries were all done by August mostly.

Just not sure what to do at this point - I did just send an update letter as I got an additional LOR from my new job. Maybe I should start volunteering in some significant way. I am not sure.

I know its like wow I got 5 interviews but this is the re-application cycle and I'm just so terrified I won't get in and THEN what do I do!

I guess its still early in the cycle but ... :bang:+pissed+ I just want to get in to ONE school! Any school! Seriously!

FML = F$%K My Life lol

All the schools I have had interviews at I didn't apply to last cycle - and I applied to 40 schools this cycle all tops mid and "bottom" (is there such a thing in the us?). Was early. Secondaries were all done by August mostly.

Just not sure what to do at this point - I did just send an update letter as I got an additional LOR from my new job. Maybe I should start volunteering in some significant way. I am not sure.

I know its like wow I got 5 interviews but this is the re-application cycle and I'm just so terrified I won't get in and THEN what do I do!

I guess its still early in the cycle but ... :bang:+pissed+ I just want to get in to ONE school! Any school! Seriously!

it's probably your essays dude - try to get them edited by your adviser before sending them - even the secondaries - or even your friends

or maybe your age or major ? how old r u? i can't think of any reason y u have no acceptances

All it takes is one. Keep your chin up. Many schools wait list most of their applicants early on and then start sending out acceptances once they have a full idea of the applicant pool.

I hope it works out for you. If you have any more interviews scheduled, try to get in a mock interview before then.

Did you apply to all MDs or did you include a few DOs?

I interviewed late october thru feb, first acceptance somewhere in mid-december, all it takes is one. So relax, don't become neurotic (easier said than done, i admit :D); just remember that u're doing all the right things and the process has to play itself out. Waitlist can always turn into acceptance especially this early in the cycle. Also what do u mean by deferred (did u defer an admission at some school?)

Finally don't despair, schools are definitely interested in you, hence ur multiple interview invites, so patience my friend and goodluck!!!

i have a bunch of friends who are like "FML NO INTERVIEWS STILL"

they all have better GPA's and MCATs than you, so don't feel too bad.

OP, You still have time so relax. 4 interviews is not bad and good luck on the future one(s). Unless you only applied to 4 schools you still have a good chance of getting more interviews and an acceptance.

i have a bunch of friends who are like "FML NO INTERVIEWS STILL"

they all have better GPA's and MCATs than you, so don't feel too bad.

This. I know it's hard and sucks, but I'm guessing you've probably got more interviews lined up, so there's definitely not a reason to despair. While I wouldn't say it's early in the cycle anymore, there's still plenty of time to win the game.

Good luck.