1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

FMS searching for student med malpractice for US elective

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by mapkinase, Oct 6, 2000.

1. mapkinase

mapkinase New Member

I a med student in Buenos Aires Argentina and plan to do one of my electives in the US next year. But there is a problem that keeps on coming up..... many of the programs ask me to have student med malpractice insurance, and I dont know exactly who to contact to get it. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pags

pags Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I really think that insurance coverage is offered, or should be, by your medical school in Argentina. Contact your school first to see if they have such a plan. Good luck.

4. Your school may refer to it as "medical liability" or "medical defense fund". The problem you may run into is that many foreign defense companies do not cover students in North America, given its high rate of lawsuits.

However, your school will be the best source of information as I'm sure they've had students rotate through US schools before and have had to face this issue. There are some schools which provide the malpractice insurance for you if you pay for it. UCLA comes to mind, with you paying something like $5 a week (but check it out first before quoting me).

Hope this helps.

5. mapkinase

mapkinase New Member

in regards to the last reply: but does UCLA provide it for electives at other institutions? I found some hospitals that will provide me insurance but only at there facilities, the one that I wanted asked me to have this malpractice insurance or indemnification from my U. I would really like to do my elective at Univ of Chicago but this malpractice thing is really inhibiting me.

6. No, the UCLA malpractice coverage is only for rotations at their affiliated hospitals and medical care centers. This will be the case for any school that provides liability insurance.

If you have your heart set on a program which does not provide you with coverage, you will have to provide it yourself - either through your school or private insurer. You might try checking with some medical insurers in the US and see what the rates are, as I would have no idea about that.

Best of luck..