focking "except" questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOOYAH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i hate them.

i'm studying for this GI path exam and the practice test is almost all "which one of these x is y EXCEPT" questions. it makes me want to stick my finger in my ampulla of vater and give myself obstructive jaundice.

goddamn.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a professor this year who wrote both "except" questions and those multiple choice types where you have a, b, and c as separate answers, yet d and e are combinations of a, b, and c. ******ed thing is that he told us consistently that both these question formats are highly used on the usmle step 1. Way to stay current.

It's a good thing I have textbooks, review texts and the desire to read or else I would be receiving no education at all. :(

Yeah I hate these Q's w. a passion. One of my profs. insists on "trying out" new question types on us. Most hated of all has to be the K-type (I think thats what he calls em) where the stem is: "The pt. had X BECAUSE of Y" and the choices are

A. X is true and Y is true and the relationship is correct
B. X is true and Y is trues but they are not related
C. X is true and Y is false but the relationship is correct
D. X is false and Y is true but they the relationship is correct
E. X is false and Y is false and they are not related

Drives you nuts trying to figure out if the statements are true and if one caused the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
The last example are the worst types on the USMLE, in my opinion. K-types are where:

a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2 only
c) 2 and 4 only
d) 1 and 3 only
e) 1, 2, 3 and 4

AlexRusso said:
Yeah I hate these Q's w. a passion. One of my profs. insists on "trying out" new question types on us. Most hated of all has to be the K-type (I think thats what he calls em) where the stem is: "The pt. had X BECAUSE of Y" and the choices are

A. X is true and Y is true and the relationship is correct
B. X is true and Y is trues but they are not related
C. X is true and Y is false but the relationship is correct
D. X is false and Y is true but they the relationship is correct
E. X is false and Y is false and they are not related

Drives you nuts trying to figure out if the statements are true and if one caused the other.

tha'ts actually an E-type of question.

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~smx/PGCHE/AKE-type.html

we have k-types on tests and i absolutely hate it. :mad:

Idiopathic said:
The last example are the worst types on the USMLE, in my opinion. K-types are where:

a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2 only
c) 2 and 4 only
d) 1 and 3 only
e) 1, 2, 3 and 4

I thought K-types were eliminated from USMLE years ago. :confused:

Yogi Bear said:
tha'ts actually an E-type of question.

http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~smx/PGCHE/AKE-type.html

we have k-types on tests and i absolutely hate it. :mad:

Yep, that's right the E-type...I HATE those. This prof also used to like stating: "what is the most PROXIMATe cause of ...." and then proceeed to list things that all lead to a disease or symptom.

There are no 'except', 'which of these is not', or K-type or E-type questions on the USMLE Step I.

You guys didn't have these types of questions during undergrad?

mpp said:
There are no 'except', 'which of these is not', or K-type or E-type questions on the USMLE Step I.
Thank god. But for some reason they do show up in review books.

How about this one from one of my biochem tests last semester:

Which one of the following is least likely to not be true? :confused:

try answering that on 3 hours of sleep.....