Focus on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstu2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes while I am taking the test, I feel that I am losing focus. How do you guys keep focus? My focus gets worse when I fall behind the schedule and know that I will have to skip a passage or 2. How do you cope with this?

Members don't see this ad.

medstu2006 said:
Sometimes while I am taking the test, I feel that I am losing focus. How do you guys keep focus? My focus gets worse when I fall behind the schedule and know that I will have to skip a passage or 2. How do you cope with this?

Which section are you referring to??? As far as losing focus in general when it happens to me, I think about having to take this blasted test over again. That in itself is motivation to regroup my thoughts, and then attack the passage. Which section do you lose focus most in???

adiddas125 said:
Which section are you referring to??? As far as losing focus in general when it happens to me, I think about having to take this blasted test over again. That in itself is motivation to regroup my thoughts, and then attack the passage. Which section do you lose focus most in???

Usually Verbal. Especially when I read the passage once and don't understand a thing. Then, I get nervous about finishing in time.

ritalin. :D

but in all seriousness, this happens to me too. sometimes i find that it's when i lose motivation. when this happens i try to refocus myself by taking a sec to just shake my brain. if that doesn't work, i try to move on to the next passage, take a deep breath, clear my head, and dive in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry -- on the day of, you will be able to focus
even if there're a marching band playing outside.
Try making the most of those 5 minute break and use
that time to focus.

Try what EK says and take a 5 sec break before doing any passages. Its going to add up to about 45 seconds out of your 85 mins but it'll definitely help you focus and save you much more time in the long run. Try it and see.

Wasn't there another thread about this?

I remember two useful tips:
1.) As everyone said, take a 5 second mental break.
2.) Think of someone you hate, getting a 45.

This has never happened to me. How odd. This is one of the few events in life that I think would keep me so focused that if a naked woman were to walk through the room I wouldn't notice.

wow.. i didn't think that bs was that easy.. i missed 4 on that stupid passage about nematode... argh.. other than that i would have performed well.. i'm bitter.. ;(

Bhavesh said:
Wasn't there another thread about this?

I remember two useful tips:
1.) As everyone said, take a 5 second mental break.
2.) Think of someone you hate, getting a 45.

And rubbing it your face... :D