Focused on the MD/DO route but researching the PA path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatewayhoward

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I had the idea that I should research the PA field because I've jumped into the MD/DO path. I've talked to many disgruntled doctors. One cardiologist says his job these days is nothing more than "abuse." Many MD's tell me to consider the PA path.
I've always just written it off cause I used to think you're so close but yet so far from being a doctor. I'm now questionig that idea and wondering if I'll enjoy it.
Right now I've just began majoring in BIology. I have an AA in EMS but I'm still a freshman as far as the BS degree goes. My ambulance company also helps its employees pay for a certain PA program. So it's an easier route than MD but I don't know which route will make me fulfilled.
I asked one PA if there's a bridge program to MD but she said all it does is take one year off med school. Will there ever be a real bridge program?
Does anyone have any advice or ideas for someone in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Gatewayhoward said:
Today I had the idea that I should research the PA field because I've jumped into the MD/DO path. I've talked to many disgruntled doctors. One cardiologist says his job these days is nothing more than "abuse." Many MD's tell me to consider the PA path.
I've always just written it off cause I used to think you're so close but yet so far from being a doctor. I'm now questionig that idea and wondering if I'll enjoy it.
Right now I've just began majoring in BIology. I have an AA in EMS but I'm still a freshman as far as the BS degree goes. My ambulance company also helps its employees pay for a certain PA program. So it's an easier route than MD but I don't know which route will make me fulfilled.
I asked one PA if there's a bridge program to MD but she said all it does is take one year off med school. Will there ever be a real bridge program?
Does anyone have any advice or ideas for someone in my situation?

Hi there,
The question that you have to answer to your satisfaction is: What career do you actually want to pursue? PA and physician are very, very different though many of their duties do overlap. You probably need to spend some lengthy time with both a PA and a physician to figure out the answer to your question.

Yes, many physicians are not happy with their career choices. I can understand their plight but I do not share it. I love every aspect of what I am able to do and I love the idea of practicing independently. Every surgical case that I do these days is loaded with hands-on problem-solving, something that I would never be able to do as a PA. My MD (and this applies to DO too) degree has given me tons of options in terms of how I plan to practice and what I will be able to achieve. I could have nowhere near the options with a PA degree or certificate and nowhere near the level of satisfaction.

PA and MD/DO education are very, very different. PA students do not have anything near the level of basic science that a physician must master in the first and second year of medical school. Medical school is difficult, grueling and challenging but well worth the effort to master. As I am now studying for my specialty board exam in General Surgery, I have come to appreciate the breadth and depth of my medical school coursework and my excellent clinical training. As far as a bridge from PA to MD: with the current differences in level of teaching, I do not think that this is feasible or possible.

What do you want to accomplish in your career? Can you accomplish them as a PA? If so, then maybe PA is a viable route for you. I will say that I have two very close friends who have just finished their PA training and are now trying to get into medical school. I have another friend who is an Emergency Medicine physician who was a former PA who did attend medical school with me. For some people, PA didn't work after they finished the degree. For others, PA is a wonderful career that satisfies their career aspirations.

Do remember that as I stated above, PAs and physicians do have overlap of some duties (H & P, routine orders, etc). On many days, I operate with PAs who assist me, especially with laparoscopic procedures and they do a wonderful job. It would be very difficult to operate without them as laparoscopic cases take more than two hands. The purpose of my training is that I may direct the surgical care of my patients. This is not the role or the job of a PA, which is something else that I find appealing.

Again, spend some time with a PA and ask hard questions. Figure out what you want and how much you are willing to do, to get what you want in your career. Finally, if you want to be a physician, be a physician and plot a course that will take you there. I promise you that this road is long, hard and frought with sacrifice for both you and anyone that you are involved with personally. Your patients come first on call nights and you WILL miss out on holidays etc. but for me, the sacrifice has been well worth it.

njbmd :)

njbmd, thanks for the advice. I am going to shadow physicians and PA's. The leadership and independence of being a physician seem to fit my personality more than what it sounds a PA does. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, it was knowing I'd never be a doctor as a PA. That is not to say that I chose med school over PA school because I wanted the Dr. before my name. What I mean, is that as a PA, I'd basically just be a technician that does some secretarial work. PAs will probably firebomb my house for saying that, but it's true. They do H&Ps, etc., but none of that is really difficult. In the OR, I've heard some PAs say they do the majority of the procedure. I don't know how common this is, but every experience I've had with PAs has utilized them as first- or second-assistants if they scrubbed in at all.

I just wanted to be the guy the patients came to, the guy that got stuff referred to him, and the one actually DOING the procedure with the know-how for all the complications, etc. You know that voice inside you that tells you when something is not quite right? Well, when I was seriously considering PA programs, it was going crazy. I listened to it, and I'm glad I did.

That's the thing, nothing's deterred me at all from this dream, which is the first one I've ever had. Everything else I worked for up to now has been just a direction. Nothing scares me: the time it will take to get my undergrad degree, negative statements from doctors, family and friends who will wonder why I don't just stick with an easier-more stable career in healthcare, the money, the time, even twice reading "The House of God."
So I'm just curious about the PA path but I think if I become one I'll probably be one of those who regret it.

Gatewayhoward said:
That's the thing, nothing's deterred me at all from this dream, which is the first one I've ever had. Everything else I worked for up to now has been just a direction. Nothing scares me: the time it will take to get my undergrad degree, negative statements from doctors, family and friends who will wonder why I don't just stick with an easier-more stable career in healthcare, the money, the time, even twice reading "The House of God."
So I'm just curious about the PA path but I think if I become one I'll probably be one of those who regret it.

Don't take any stock in The House of God. Pure crap. Instead, read: 1. White Coat, by Ellen Lerner Rothman, and 2. Intern Blues, by Robert Marion. Check up on them on Amazon.com.

Keep in mind that as an M.D., you have more options to tailor your career, compared to a PA. As an M.D., you have autonomy. Don't want to take the "abuse?" Then be a country doctor, and/or work part time. Or use your M.D. and go work for a pharmaceutical company, consulting company, work for NIH, etc. Lots of options!