Focusing my PS on the following... Sound decent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vairules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm writing my PS currently. My main story deals with a sort of med school camp I had when I was nearly a senior in HS. We lived in the dorms with med students and did medical school exposure activities all day. Specifically, my focus is on how this solidified my desire to be a physician, in addition to family ties to the profession and extensive shadowing. Would this be a decent story to focus on, or would it be too "cheesy" in your opinion?

Members don't see this ad.

When I read the words "med school camp" I thought "this sounds cheesy"

You don't want to make it seem like you are basing your medical desire on a camp that was made to be "fun" for kids.

you can mention it as being the catalyst for your interest in medicine, but most of the PS had better be about things you've done since then (ie, in college) to confirm and reinforce your interest in the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't want to hear about HS experiences unless they influenced you in college or post college. I agree that it sounded cheesy.

Ok, thanks for the input. Definitely gonna need to pretty much start over now. I guess what I'm confused about now is this: Is it okay to make the central "story" or narrative of the statement be something that did not take place in college? Like for example a family member being a doctor? Then speak of all of the other things that contributed and solidified your interest? What's kind of confusing me is that I've heard to fall into the trap of focusing too much on extra curriculars in a PS... The thing is, the only things that have solidified my desire in my post secondary education have been extra curriculars.

That ties into my second question: would it be necessary to have the central theme be a story about a specific occurrence? Or could the central theme be a drive/character trait, with the experiences being described along the way?