Focusing on Mental Health in Pre-Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prco226

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a post-bac pre-med student and got my B.S. in psychology. I thought about getting a PhD in psychology, but I changed my mind and decided that I wanted to become a psychiatrist instead. I'm interested in the biological aspect of mental illness, and I feel like developments in neuroscience and psychiatry will become really interesting in the near future compared to developments in clinical psych (not to mention the better job security and pay for psychiatrists given their shortage).

Because I have a strong interest in mental health, a lot of my extracurriculars are focused on mental health. I got an internship with an autism program, my main volunteer activity is being a hotline advocate for a rape crisis center for 20 hours a month, I was a research assistant at an eating disorder clinic, and I recently got a part-time job as a mental health technician.

I'm wondering if it would be a bit of a turn-off for medical schools if it seems like I'm interested in just mental health rather than medicine in general. For example, would medical schools prefer someone who was a CNA rather than a mental health technician (which are pretty much like CNA's except at mental health clinics)? Should I get extracurriculars less focused on mental health? Also, although there's always the chance of me changing my mind, I'm pretty intent on becoming a psychiatrist, but would it not be a good idea to say that I have plans on becoming a psychiatrist?

Members don't see this ad.

It would be pretty wild if someone with a résumé and app that screams "wants to go into psych" then says "nah I don't wanna do psych". Your best bet is just to be honest and say what you are interested in without making it seem like "medical school wouldn't be worth it if I didn't go into psych" or "nothing else in medicine is interesting or worthwhile to me", I.e: at least appear to have an open mind (which you probably do anyway).

I dont think you should be too concerned about this. If nothing else, it gives coherence to your app. You should try to get clinical exposure in a few other broad fields though (work in a clinic, shadow a PCP, shadow a surgeon) so it shows that you at least have seen what other parts of medicine look like. Just my opinion

Reactions: 1 user
Everything on my app is about mental heath, including 5 years of research experience and publications in psychology, my volunteer experience, psychology major. And my PS and essays.

I haven't received a single negative attitude about it and have done well with interviews and acceptances. I also took a lot of neuroscience and neurobiology courses outside my major and had mentors that were clinical psychologists and physicians.

In fact, I think it has been a great talking point because many people are not involved or interested in mental health and mental health disparities. Like you, I am interested in the biological basis and talked about that at interviews and I've had interviewers tell me that neurology would be a great fit, or double boarding because I have that experience from the psych side.

If your passion is mental health, focus on mental health. It in no way will hold you back from medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Both users above have great advice. I would second getting exposed to other specialties or other areas of health. You will be working with them in medical school regardless of what specialty you are interested in.

Happy to hear that you have a good goal to work towards!