1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Focusing while reading a passage

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by MyInitialsAreJC, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MyInitialsAreJC

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do you win the head game?

Yesterday i was taking a practice test and i felt like i was freakin out the entire time.

I would see what a passage is about and think "oh no i dont know this very well"

then while reading the passage im thinking "im not getting this! im not getting this!"

and so i miss some of the passage and i go back

happens in all three sections - and if this was just a practice test its gonna be worse on mcat day.

so yeah - how do you beat it?

i also noticed that i was listening to a chase scene from a movie sound track on the way to the testing center and i could still hear it throughout the whole test... was kinda distracting

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. viciouz

viciouz WesternU 2013
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you shouldn't look at the passage and be intimidated by it... look at the answers and tell yourself you can do it... plus if you really feel like your not understanding what your reading... take a few seconds and close you eyes and breath. Sometimes you just need a break, even though you might not want to take one... your brain will take one no matter what. If you are still feeling like your not getting it... SKIP IT... and move on... no point on wasting time on something you might get wrong... when you can spend more time and get more questions right.

Also... for the chase scene... i wear headphones of classical music the night before and the day of up until the test... that way I don't have any annoying songs or outside music or sounds stuck in my head. And classical is something I don't even notice.

4. AWhitehair

AWhitehair EM PA-C. MD wannabe
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Something that has helped me that I just recently started:

If I am breaking down a practice test to take in sections over a few days. For the PS section and sometimes for the BS section I would go through it and just by skimming I would look at what subject area it was testing me over. Like for "Electrochemisty" I would write on the top and tell myself "okay, I have fully reviewed this topic and I know the material down to a T ...there is nothing they can ask me outside of what I have covered or what is given to me in this passage that I can't handle."

Of course, on the real thing you can't skim through and do this due to timing issues...but, you can look over a passage and realize it is testing you on a certain topic and think quickly (like seconds quickly) about what you covered relating to said topic (equations and stuff)...this will help replace negative thoughts with CONFIDENCE.