Foget medicine. Philosophy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A-DOG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at NYCOM, but I am having second doubts about medicine. I really love philosophy, and I wonder if I might be more satisfied getting a Phd in Phil. What can you do besides teach with a Phd in phil.?

Members don't see this ad.

Write a book?

Teach, and only if you are very lucky. There are a lot less teaching positions avaliable than people receiving PhDs. I did start that route once, and I am glad I got out early enough. A good friend, who was a year ahead of me, many published papers, gave several talks at meetings, and not the student variety ones, including been invited to present a paper at a major international conference, got his PhD from a top university, did a one year post doc fellowship at the Sorbonne (his specialty is skepticism), his mentor is one of the great names in philosophy in this country, and yet got only offered teaching positions which were not tenure track or that were tenure track at some podunk U. So, he took a teaching position overseas...

Is your undergrad in philosophy? What is your area of interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergraduate major is biology, and after being drowned in "hardcore" science for 3 years I long for something else. Science is interesting at times, but I feel there are so many things to explore in the humanities that stimulate me more than science. On the otherhand, I can always become a D.O. pediatrician, psychiatrist, or F.P. and have a profession that is both scientifically and humanistically oriented. I mean I have worked very hard for three years. I guess I'm having doubts about a choice that I never thought I would doubt. Thanks for the feedback.

interesting... i was in the same boat once, my undergrad major was philosophy of science, i was always pre-med, but the more i got into philosophy the more i liked it, and i did consider the phd in philo. for a while. i also thought a lot about biomedical ethics which is a good hybrid between the two, upenn has a good site on this topic. ultimately i got into research, and thought about the phd in the medical sciences, but although i've been accepted for a phd at a top school, as well as d.o. schools, i feel that i can do research, or even postgrad. training in med. ethics as a d.o., but as a phd, i can never see patients, so if you're confused go for the career that gives you the most options...

I understand your dilema. When I first entered school I dreamed, and applied pre-med. My parents were from the old school and hadn't even thought about sending their daughter to college. By the grace of God, I received a full scholarship for music (something I hadn't really considered.) Life took over, parents got sick, I ended up the main caregiver and "slid through" on music without the sciences just so I could get a degree. I am now returning to pre med with two non science degrees behind me, and I don't regret it for a minute. The music has paid all my bills thus far. Mind you I don't live very extravagently. I have an aquaintance that is doing her grad work in philosophy now and she is loving it. I would suggest doing side work and research in it for your own sanity. Who says you can't submit papers or do research on a subject just because your degree doesn't have that subject listed. You are obviously an intelligent person. Let philosophy be your "side job" for a while. You will be a more interesting person and a better doctor for it. Good luck.