Folks applying to UQ Med for 2009 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ewc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just to start the admissions season early for UQ. I'm planning to go there for the med program. Anyone else applying? Anyone applied in the past? Please share your application experience and stats (if you could, it would really help!).

Members don't see this ad.

I just sent in all my stuff last week...not sure if it will get there by May 1st but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Did you send in your application already? Are you Canadian?

I just sent in all my stuff last week...not sure if it will get there by May 1st but I'll keep my fingers crossed. Did you send in your application already? Are you Canadian?

Yups. I sent it in early March. I'm not Canadian, but I'm applying from Canada because of short term residence in country. Did you speak to anyone with regards to your application i.e. about the timeline etc.?

Members don't see this ad :)

Forgot to mention that I did my undergrad in Canada, hence the "short-term residence" in Canada for now

Yes, they emailed me promptly after I filled out the online application. I just found out now that my transcripts got held up in Kingston, Ont...so my full application won't be there until Monday (april 21st). They said it takes about 2-4 weeks to process it. Do you think I will be a little late? or will I be okay?

Just wanted to join the club. :)
I will be sending transcripts soon, i didn't realize that there is a deadline looming. Could someone tell me when we are supposed to have our applications in by? Thanks.

I don't know about how late "late" is... But I got the impression that as long as you submit it in March (the main application), they hold your place in line. But if your transcripts don't arrive by 1 May (when they start assessing), then they push you back to the line, and let the complete application after yours go up. Don't quote me on this though... I'm just another applicant too lol! If it's really rolling admissions as the application website said, then I'd have to hold it to their definition... Did the university say anything to you guys?

Thanks ewc, that is good to know! I applied through OzTREKK and they didn't mention anything about deadlines, that is why i was confused. They should receive my transcripts by early next week, so i hope that they will send the application out in time.

Good luck guys!!!

Thanks ewc, that is good to know! I applied through OzTREKK and they didn't mention anything about deadlines, that is why i was confused. They should receive my transcripts by early next week, so i hope that they will send the application out in time.

Good luck guys!!!

Just to help with some confusion I applied through OZTREKK as well. I sent my application to UQ directly very early (December 2007) for 2009 intake. Then I contacted OZTREKK and had them handle it for me. I sent my transcripts to MAtt at OZTREKK in Canada and they certified them and sent them to UQ electronically. I emailed UQ and they said my applicaiton is now with the school of medicine. The only think I didn't like about the process was that UQ never told me to send actual transcripts, only scanned official copies. OZTREKK had to inform me of this. If you applied through OZTREKK your application will be sent within a couple days once the transcripts are received, from my experience.

Hey Coccinelle,
Welcome to the Aussie club, I think I remember you from the Ireland club...lol. Anyhow, I don't think there are any actually deadlines coming up but it is rolling admission and they start looking at applicants May 1st that is why I'd like to have my stuff in before then.

Hey RugbyMD! Yeah, i gave up on Ireland after two years of endless waiting... also, after the costs went up for their programs, i can't fathom ever being able to afford an education there. I am now praying that Australia comes through, i really would prefer not to have to resort to the Carib. Good luck with your applications!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Hey Coccinelle,
Welcome to the Aussie club, I think I remember you from the Ireland club...lol. Anyhow, I don't think there are any actually deadlines coming up but it is rolling admission and they start looking at applicants May 1st that is why I'd like to have my stuff in before then.

wow! i didn't know that there were so many people who were applying for UQ meds as well lol! it seems like some people applied thru australearn and directly to UQ. i applied thru Oztrekk as well. for some reason, i applied thru abp for the irish programs, they didn't seem very forthcoming... i spoke with matt at Oztrekk, it was free (albeit that we have to pay for postage and transcripts). i was impressed. did anyone else speak to matt about admissions stuff? please shpill the beans! haha thanks!

wow! i didn't know that there were so many people who were applying for UQ meds as well lol! it seems like some people applied thru australearn and directly to UQ. i applied thru Oztrekk as well. for some reason, i applied thru abp for the irish programs, they didn't seem very forthcoming... i spoke with matt at Oztrekk, it was free (albeit that we have to pay for postage and transcripts). i was impressed. did anyone else speak to matt about admissions stuff? please shpill the beans! haha thanks!

Scroll up about 3 posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
i did see the other posts. i'm just confused with the way UQ calculates GPA. i was looking at the oztrekk site, they said 2.67 for GPA or 65% (in the paper application), but 65% isn't 2.67. do they take averages or GPA. also, the main university website says that they calculate gpa over the whole degree, but i've seen something to the extent of taking just the last 3 years on the same website. north american degrees tend to be 4 years and honours bachelors (at least in canada), and they said that if it's an honours degree, they only take your honours year into account. it's just very confusing and i'm terribly confused... i'm just hoping that someone from the university or past applicants might know how this works etc..

i did see the other posts. i'm just confused with the way UQ calculates GPA. i was looking at the oztrekk site, they said 2.67 for GPA or 65% (in the paper application), but 65% isn't 2.67. do they take averages or GPA. also, the main university website says that they calculate gpa over the whole degree, but i've seen something to the extent of taking just the last 3 years on the same website. north american degrees tend to be 4 years and honours bachelors (at least in canada), and they said that if it's an honours degree, they only take your honours year into account. it's just very confusing and i'm terribly confused... i'm just hoping that someone from the university or past applicants might know how this works etc..

I have had experience with these types of discrepencies as well. The best thing to do is to research your particular question from reliable sources. I would first check last years ACER admissions guide (located here) and read how UQ caluculated GPA last year as it is likely to be the same this year. Also, contact someone at UQ directly about your inquiry. The only thing I know for certain is they take your GPA from your most recent key degree (i.e. Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD). The ACER guide should help with the actual calculation.

This is an excerpt from the ACER guide that pertains specifically to GPA calculations for UQ:

A key degree is a Bachelor degree, Honours, Masters (coursework or
research), or a PhD.

The GPA is calculated over the last three years of
the most recent key degee. All subjects studied while
enrolled in the key degree program are included in the
calculation, whether or not they counted towards the
award of the degree. Any other study for which credit
was given towards the most recent key degree must
be included. Where the most recent key degree was
completed as part of a combined degree or parallel
degree program, all subjects studied towards both
degrees are included in the calculation of the GPA.
Grades not percentages are used in all GPA calculations
by the University of Queensland. Each year is weighted
equally.

that's the problem... the excerpt says last 3 years of key degree, but the main uq meds website says whole degree, and i don't know what they mean by grade lol there's no numerical derivative from a B+, A-, D or C+ (as an example)... doesn't make much sense to me... thanks anyways though neulite and coccinelle!

The bottom line is that you need a 5.0 on a 7.0 scale, where:
A/A- = 7
B+ = 6.5
B = 6
B- = 5.5
C+ = 5
C = 4.5

etc etc

So, a 5.0 is about a C+ average (or 2.3 at my university). Their website also says that they expect a 2.67 on a 4.0 scale... there's a bit of a discrepancy, but that's because it's much easier to get a 2.67 in North America than it is to get a 5.0 in Australia.

Pretty much all of their international applicants have at least a C+ average at their respective institution, so they don't usually worry about making an exact guideline. If you have a borderline GPA, they'll probably consider you anyway if your MCAT score is good.

If you have a borderline GPA, they'll probably consider you anyway if your MCAT score is good.[/quote]

Define good...lol.

Well, my impression is that you need about a 30 or so to get in (assuming that you apply on time), but it might be a little easier this year because they have more spots.

If you're really concerned that you might not make it, talk to Matt at OzTREKK and he'll answer any questions for you.

If you don't mind telling us your GPA/MCAT, we can probably help you figure out your eligibility.

Well, my impression is that you need about a 30 or so to get in (assuming that you apply on time), but it might be a little easier this year because they have more spots.

If you're really concerned that you might not make it, talk to Matt at OzTREKK and he'll answer any questions for you.

If you don't mind telling us your GPA/MCAT, we can probably help you figure out your eligibility.

I've actually heard of quite a range when it comes to acceptance scores to UQ. This year might be a little different I would think since they are basing their decision on the admissions test only...or so they say. I've read of scores on these forums of people who have been accepted with 32-35. But like any SDN forum (especially pre-med) more people with higher scores are bound to report them. Obviously of the 10 or so people that shared their scores on here somewhere there were 57 other spots given to internationals we don't know about (67 last year given as reported on the ACER guide). Unfortunately there isn't any MSAR for AUS schools to give us an accurate breakdown. However, I have spoken and read of students attending there with 26 and 24 and heard as high as 37.

But I'll own up (lol) and report my sub-par MCAT: 28N (10VR, 9PS, 9BS)
-(I actually made a P on the writing the first time I took it but US schools don't care about that section so I slacked the second time to enhance my other scores)
-working on PhD, so GPA is for Master's: 3.7

Well my MCAT is 28Q...10bs 10ps 8vr and Qws
My gpa overall is 3.4/4.5 but my last 3 years are closer to a 3.7 I think...
So....provided my stuff should be in Perth, Ont by Monday...are my stats decent enough and is my application in soon enough?

So....provided my stuff should be in Perth, Ont by Monday...are my stats decent enough and is my application in soon enough?

What's in Perth? Perth, Canada? or Australia?

I assume it's the OzTREKK office in Perth, Ontario. When i sent out my stuff, the post office almost sent it to Perth, Australia by mistake. :laugh:

Well, 3.4/4.5 is probably good enough to meet the cutoff. 28Q will be pretty close to the borderline... you should probably ask Matt what he thinks. If he has your application materials by Monday, then that's probably early enough.

What's in Perth? Perth, Canada? or Australia?

Perth is one of the most empty cities on the planet, its absolutely quiet after 4 in the afternoon over there. A big contrast from the East Coast of the country.

hi JoeNamaMD, i'm assuming that you go to school in australia? do you have any perspectives to share with us?

Just read this on the OZTREKK website:

"For the 2008 intake, those students that applied any more than six weeks after the applications opened were unsuccessful. I strongly recommend to submitting your completed application to OzTREKK as soon as possible."

Seems like getting your application in on time is paramount.

Frick, I got my university to send my transcripts via courier, it's more expensive but "guaranteed" to arrive fast...however something went wrong on the way from Winnpeg to Perth, Ont. Last week it ended up in Kingston and was supposed to go to Perth, but now it's in Ottawa being mailed to a place called "god knows where" fack, I'm hoping to gets there ASAP!!!!

Frick, I got my university to send my transcripts via courier, it's more expensive but "guaranteed" to arrive fast...however something went wrong on the way from Winnpeg to Perth, Ont. Last week it ended up in Kingston and was supposed to go to Perth, but now it's in Ottawa being mailed to a place called "god knows where" fack, I'm hoping to gets there ASAP!!!!

I wouldn't worry. You have two things going for you: the application materials are in transit and UQ increased their international slots this year from 67 to 100. This means it will take longer to fill (possibly) than 2008. Plus my experience with OZTREKK was great. They expedited the process and sent my transcripts to UQ electronically and my application was with the SOM within days.

Don't worry rugbyMD, i'm sure everything will turn out alright! Worse case scenario, (if you have electronic transcripts) send Oztrekk the electronic version, then call them to explain? I'm pretty sure that once they get the actual transcripts, they'll verify, and your marks would have already been sent in... Just some thoughts, hope it helps

Don't worry rugbyMD, i'm sure everything will turn out alright! Worse case scenario, (if you have electronic transcripts) send Oztrekk the electronic version, then call them to explain? I'm pretty sure that once they get the actual transcripts, they'll verify, and your marks would have already been sent in... Just some thoughts, hope it helps

Thank you all for the support! I am going to see what I can do with the transcripts, I'm hoping they will arrive tomorrow but if not I will look into sending them the electronic version (which I'm not 100% sure are). Is that something my school will have to send or is that something I can just print off from my computer and fax them?

Thank you all for the support! I am going to see what I can do with the transcripts, I'm hoping they will arrive tomorrow but if not I will look into sending them the electronic version (which I'm not 100% sure are). Is that something my school will have to send or is that something I can just print off from my computer and fax them?

Depends on your school. At my university, they won't send (unofficial) electronic transcripts to alumni... they only send them to current students, which means that I couldn't get one (since I graduated in May '07).

When I need to send an electronic version, I usually log into my university's website for academic history, then print out a PDF version, instead of paper. Hope this helps!

Hey guys,
I also applied to UQ. I sent everything in except my MCAT and GAMSAT. They'll be in mid May.

My stat:
- B.A. in Biology & Philosophy (premed)
- 3.28/4.0

I am also applying to Flinders and Wollongong. I'm not really sure where UQ stands. City-wise I choose Brisbane over Adelaide or Wollongong, but UQ is a bigger school. I think, for now, it's my #3. I just think that I will perform a lot better in a smaller school. I go to a liberal arts college if it makes any difference.

http://uqms.org

Good resource. I didn't know about it and it has a forum as well. Find the article that discusses why they abandoned the interview process (here) and their rationale, interesting.

Just an update...my transcripts may or may not have been received. More importantly, does anyone really know what this phone conversation/informal interview is all about?

I am as confused as you regarding the interview. I know they threw it out for local students but this "informal" thing for internationals is odd. My impression is that if you are an international student they still need to contact you so that they can make sure you speak English fluently and talk coherently I guess. I don't think it counts towards the final ranking which I believe is based soley on MCAT now, once you meet the gpa hurdle.

Ah i see, and apparently no formal medical school interview questions are asked....on a happy side note, my transcripts finally arrived in Perth, Ont...so now my application is "fully" there.

congrats! now all of us have to wait until next thursday, when they start viewing applications...

Speaking of which, good luck to everyone!

It says they will contact us within two weeks of an application being approved by the school of medicine to set up a time to speak with an academic official.

Thanks Neulite! I also want to wish everyone the best of luck!!!

UQ does not use an interview score now? its all on MCAT now? and they've increased international intakes from 67 to 100? the school was already ginormous before. sounds like they are taking the role of degree mill to a new level. while they are a respectable uni, i have a hard time respecting a med school that doesnt utilize the interview for screening (including if its just to assess English fluency). they are really just trying to cash in on international students that couldnt get in in their home countries. i'm gussing the so called tsunami is bound to get even worse.

UQ does not use an interview score now? its all on MCAT now? and they've increased international intakes from 67 to 100? the school was already ginormous before. sounds like they are taking the role of degree mill to a new level. while they are a respectable uni, i have a hard time respecting a med school that doesnt utilize the interview for screening (including if its just to assess English fluency). they are really just trying to cash in on international students that couldnt get in in their home countries. i'm gussing the so called tsunami is bound to get even worse.

All about your perspective. But read up on why they discarded the interview process.

All about your perspective. But read up on why they discarded the interview process.

so i found a transcript of an abc interview with some head of the UQ SOM. i am not sold on this at all. while i do agree that admissions to many schools is somewhat random, i think the interview is incredibly important. it is where you seperate those that simply get could marks and are good test takers from those who would actually make good doctors. for instance, motivations and knowledge of the field the applicant is trying to enter would be expressed. a huge reason why aus med schools are have been pushing grad entry (not that there arent other reasons) is that many high school leavers would go into medicine simply because they had the scores to do it. and even they had to interview.

i think the real reason is that the student body of UQ has become so obes that they simply dont have time to interview that many applicants. its huge! its unheard of!

so i found a transcript of an abc interview with some head of the UQ SOM. i am not sold on this at all. while i do agree that admissions to many schools is somewhat random, i think the interview is incredibly important. it is where you seperate those that simply get could marks and are good test takers from those who would actually make good doctors. for instance, motivations and knowledge of the field the applicant is trying to enter would be expressed. a huge reason why aus med schools are have been pushing grad entry (not that there arent other reasons) is that many high school leavers would go into medicine simply because they had the scores to do it. and even they had to interview.

i think the real reason is that the student body of UQ has become so obes that they simply dont have time to interview that many applicants. its huge! its unheard of!

Well, studies show that the interview isn't a strong indicator of future performance. They say that it causes subjective impressions that lead to inaccurate admissions decisions. I know plenty of people who are able to put on a farce during the interview to make themselves seem much better than they are.

Well, studies show that the interview isn't a strong indicator of future performance. They say that it causes subjective impressions that lead to inaccurate admissions decisions. I know plenty of people who are able to put on a farce during the interview to make themselves seem much better than they are.
yeah, but to be realisitic, those studies would correlate a given factor, whether it be gpa, mcat, interview, etc... with performance. and a serious flaw would be how the performance is calculated. patients may self-select not to continue seeing a doctor they feel is not compassionate, has no social skills, etc..., all things which are important to being a good doctor, maybe not for being a well performing doctor. so the performance of that doctor is being skewed. a doc may know his medicine and get the job done but also be completely socially inept, a greedy bastard, and/or simply a total a-hole. the performance score wont tell you this. and you may think these factors dont matter much if the doc is getten things done, but given the number of applicants far outnumber the number of medical school seats, the schools have the luxury of being able to pick the BEST future docs, not just the best performing docs.

and come on, if your job is to interview medical school applicants and you've gone through it hundreds of times, you will be able to spot the bull****er, or at least spot the ones that are likely to be bs'ing you. and it may involve subjective impressions, but thats why there are structured interviews with more than one interviewer. if 3 interviewers think you'd make a lousy doctor, your probably much more likely to be a lousy doc than if if all 3 thought you'd make a great doc. but schools that have multiple interviewers wouldnt necesarrily reject you if your interview scores were not unanimously poor.

There are some US Diploma mills now too, RVU is the first for profit medical school in the US. I think though they still have plenty of applicants and pick the best from that lot. I would have to say lately that UQ is becoming more of a diploma mill, cashing in on international students. Most Australian medical schools take international students because they need the money. I think a few are not like this. The undergraduate high school leaver programs usually do not admit internationals.

i agree totally. they are becoming a mill catering to the money which internationals bring to the uni. undergrad entry for internationals is definitely available, but my impression is that they have the same high admissions criteria (or similar) as locals, arent making 1/5 of the class available to internationals, and are not seriously recruiting overseas as are the grad entry programs.

i was not aware of RVU. of course they "pick the best from that lot". but being a DO school, their selectivity is already somewhat low, and I think it will have to be even lower given it is for-profit. they will take the best of their applicants, but their applicants pool would mostly comprised of those that couldnt get into MD schools or even not-profit DO schools.

Some DO schools are actually pretty competitive and some are statistically harder to get into than Allopathic programs. Still DO for North Americans is far more legit than an Aussie MBBS.

Schools like Flinders, Melbourne, and USyd seem to be the more legitimate of the Grad Entry programs. A few Sydney students I met dismissed "Queensland" as backward, Queensland is a good school but with some of their recent actions like placing 2008 applicants into a waiting list for 2009 and the like, I starting to wonder. All three of the other Grad Entry programs use the interview format. ANU and Sydney use MMI in place of the traditional interview.