Folks interviewed at OHSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemurlover

All night dancer
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all, i'm from cali and i wanna go to OHSU really bad. my mcat score was not great but okay. i'm a nontraditional student. (philosophy and lit and returned to school for sci, math). what are gpa/mcats for folks who have gotten interviews and/or been accepted. also, are you from OR or outta state?

thanks! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

lemurlover said:
hey all, i'm from cali and i wanna go to OHSU really bad. my mcat score was not great but okay. i'm a nontraditional student. (philosophy and lit and returned to school for sci, math). what are gpa/mcats for folks who have gotten interviews and/or been accepted. also, are you from OR or outta state?

thanks! :luck:
OHSU seems to be a great school but is anyone worried about their financial aid and tuition? They seem to be the only school I know that doesn't award enough financial aid to cover all living expenses. Can anyone comment on this?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm jealous of all you people that got interviews. i'm in-state and have yet to receive anything other than the completion postcard. my MCAT is above average and my GPA is at the average...

Does anyone know if they are still giving interviews out? I really like the school but haven't heard anything since my complete postcard. :(

preetster said:
Does anyone know if they are still giving interviews out? I really like the school but haven't heard anything since my complete postcard. :(

md/phd applicant

ca resident. mcat 32, gpa 3.5 (bioengineering, though. thats about where we top out)

i got rejected post interview, but my interview was a absolute nightmare DISASTER. one of my interviewers was hideously insulting. i'm pretty strong but i nearly burst into tears before the end of the day. what a waste of 3 days of paid work and $250 for a plane ticket

the school is old but nice with a ton of construction. my host was darling as is the dean of admission

I'd guess that they are still handing out interviews, since the school is, for the most part, non-rolling. OHSU only accepts a handful of people initially, and puts everyone else on hold (so that people who interview later are not at a disadvantage). We were told at the interview day that OHSU is lowering the number of people it invites for interview this year by ~100 people.

scrappysurfer said:
md/phd applicant

ca resident. mcat 32, gpa 3.5 (bioengineering, though. thats about where we top out)

i got rejected post interview, but my interview was a absolute nightmare DISASTER. one of my interviewers was hideously insulting. i'm pretty strong but i nearly burst into tears before the end of the day. what a waste of 3 days of paid work and $250 for a plane ticket

the school is old but nice with a ton of construction. my host was darling as is the dean of admission

I'm so sorry to hear that scrappy surfer! :eek:

It's OHSU's loss...

Hi, I interviewed at OHSU 1/5/05 and am waiting to hear back, they said it will take 4-6 weeks so I'm not worried yet. ;) I am an OR resident, 32 MCAT and 3.75 GPA (3.45 BCPM). It is a great school and very open to out-of-staters (bad for us, good for you)--at my interview, the vast majority (~17/20 applicants) were non-residents. Almost all of those were from CA, too. I have heard they have a secondary cut-off for non-residents, I think GPA >/=3.5 and MCAT >/=30--maybe someone can confirm this? I'm hoping to hear good news soon, keep your fingers crossed for me! Good luck when you apply!

Mistress S said:
Hi, I interviewed at OHSU 1/5/05 and am waiting to hear back, they said it will take 4-6 weeks so I'm not worried yet. ;) I am an OR resident, 32 MCAT and 3.75 GPA (3.45 BCPM). It is a great school and very open to out-of-staters (bad for us, good for you)--at my interview, the vast majority (~17/20 applicants) were non-residents. Almost all of those were from CA, too. I have heard they have a secondary cut-off for non-residents, I think GPA >/=3.5 and MCAT >/=30--maybe someone can confirm this? I'm hoping to hear good news soon, keep your fingers crossed for me! Good luck when you apply!

I think those cut-offs are too high. Or maybe they look for evidence of service as a cut-off factor as well. When you interviewed, did they tell you how long they'd be interviewing? And was it Dean Robertson who seemed to be the admissions head-honcho, or was it someone else? If so, do you have his email info or did they give you another contact name/address with which to stay in touch? Thanks, and lots of :luck: with your acceptance.

Scrappysurfer, I am curious as to what went wrong with your interview. Was it the interview and the direction that he/she steered it? or was it other factors?

scrappysurfer said:

does this mean all the buildings under construction will be ready for the CLass of 2010? =D

nona1 said:
I think those cut-offs are too high. Or maybe they look for evidence of service as a cut-off factor as well. When you interviewed, did they tell you how long they'd be interviewing? And was it Dean Robertson who seemed to be the admissions head-honcho, or was it someone else? If so, do you have his email info or did they give you another contact name/address with which to stay in touch? Thanks, and lots of :luck: with your acceptance.

Hi nona1--I could be wrong about the cut-offs, I have heard different things and they may consider other factors. As an OR resident it wasn't really something I looked into. I was not given contact info for anyone to keep in touch with, that would have been nice though. They stressed at the interview that admissions are not really rolling at OHSU, so it isn't so important when you interview--they only accept 5-10% of students outright, everyone else either gets rejected or put on the hold list, and they accept the majority of the class from that list. Once they have completed interviews (in April or May?), they rank the hold list and tell you your position on it, then you just wait to hear if you are in or not--last year I think they accepted up to ~#60, so if you are ranked high on the waitlist it's pretty much an acceptance. I'm hoping of course to be one of the lucky few who gets an outright acceptance, but will be okay with the waitlist--just praying I won't be rejected! I've only got one other interview coming up and it's getting late to hear anything more from schools, plus OHSU would have been one of my top choices regardless. Oh, about the construction: much of it is already underway, I was impressed with the waterfront development projects, some of which will be finished as early as 2006. Anyway, good luck to everyone else who is waiting for OHSU too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mistress S said:
Hi nona1--I could be wrong about the cut-offs, I have heard different things and they may consider other factors. As an OR resident it wasn't really something I looked into. I was not given contact info for anyone to keep in touch with, that would have been nice though. They stressed at the interview that admissions are not really rolling at OHSU, so it isn't so important when you interview--they only accept 5-10% of students outright, everyone else either gets rejected or put on the hold list, and they accept the majority of the class from that list. Once they have completed interviews (in April or May?), they rank the hold list and tell you your position on it, then you just wait to hear if you are in or not--last year I think they accepted up to ~#60, so if you are ranked high on the waitlist it's pretty much an acceptance. I'm hoping of course to be one of the lucky few who gets an outright acceptance, but will be okay with the waitlist--just praying I won't be rejected! I've only got one other interview coming up and it's getting late to hear anything more from schools, plus OHSU would have been one of my top choices regardless. Oh, about the construction: much of it is already underway, I was impressed with the waterfront development projects, some of which will be finished as early as 2006. Anyway, good luck to everyone else who is waiting for OHSU too!

Okay, thanks. Do you happen to remember the name of the person who seemed most in-the-know during any presentations or amidst the buzz? I see that they have quite a few 'Deans'...

Hey, I looked through the info I was given the day of the interview, it says to contact Debbie Melton (the admissions director) afterwards with questions. I don't have an e-mail though, maybe you could get one from the admissions office or just call and ask for her? It says interviews are conducted only through march, a little earlier than I thought. Also, for 2004 the avg MCAT for matriculants was 31 and avg GPA was 3.63. Hope this is helpful!

macaddict78 said:
Scrappysurfer, I am curious as to what went wrong with your interview. Was it the interview and the direction that he/she steered it? or was it other factors?

Name the mess and it happened to me:

My research is in orthopedics biomechanics R&D. I've been doing mechanical/biomechanical testing of products, deformity investigation, and animal trials for about 3 years. I did some benchtop research in high school in neuroblastoma. After about a 20min converstation about this research, which has resulted in a pub list nearly a page long, my first interviewer, a biochemist, asked me "So have you ever done any acutal benchtop research?" Translation: your work is basically **** and you shouldn't be here. The rest of the interview went along in the same lines. I felt like she resented the idea of an MD/PhD in the first place and as if she was knocking me based on my credentials (in engineering, GPAs top out around 3.5). Your MD-only interviewers won't have credentials so this won't matter for you. My next interviewer tried to tell me that I didn't need a PhD for my research because my boss has an MS, but we need an MD or PhD on everything we ever publish. Then I proceeded to blank on the name of the guy who ran the lab I wanted to work in.

The 5 interviews, as it turned out, were put on not one, but two schedules. Looking at my main schedule with directions to 3 interviews it appeared that I had a two hour break like MD-only students. The med student guide (a sweetheart) assured me that this was true. It wasn't. So I missed one interview (on a different sheet) and it had to be rescheduled. The next interviewer was darling, but 40min late for an hour interview. I have worked so hard to get here, so by this point I was nearly in tears. Now my phone is on to contact the office about the scheduling disaster. It goes off during the rescheduled missed interview and I look horrible because 1) I just hung up on my mother 2) my phone went off during a rescheduled interview.

I loved the school, 2/5 interviewers, the new researchers being brought in for my field, my host, the students I hung out with afterwards, and my fellow interviewes. The gorgeous new campus towers should be up in a little over a year. Needless to say, they now want nothing to do with me. As I had physician coworkers push me in the direction of medicine in the first place, I don't feel as if I should perform badly in interviews. Oh well, the admin at Vermont confessed that my interviewer loved me. On the flip side, I laughed when I found out what the mid-interview phone call was about: someone at Harvard has pulled my name out of the interview hat. My father got excited and called me on the spot.

Don't worry about your OHSU interviews. I think my experience was a disaster of circumstance and all of you should do fine. One of my fellow interviewees was really supportive.

scrappysurfer....

I think I've had nightmares like that. Wow!! that is one of the worst interview stories I've heard. What a terrible chain of events. Karma dictates that good things are to come for you. Especially given the great attitude you show about the events. OHSU doesn't know what they're missing. Here's hoping Harvard will know what to do with you.

preester & Econstudent....

Don't give up hope. I didn't get my interview invite until 3 days AFTER the 12 weeks "max" they told me I'd have to wait to hear from them (I'm instate too and just resigned to the fact that OR residents get screwed by the process). Then they called me up to see if I wanted to move my interview up almost a month because they had a cancellation. I think the same thing happened to Mistress S.

Queen of Cryptic...

They say some of the building will be open as soon as 2006, but the real question is .... when will the arial tram be finished? Because, let's be honest, that'll be a fun lil' ride.

Good Luck to all of you

bdt said:
scrappysurfer....

Don't give up hope. I didn't get my interview invite until 3 days AFTER the 12 weeks "max" they told me I'd have to wait to hear from them (I'm instate too and just resigned to the fact that OR residents get screwed by the process). Then they called me up to see if I wanted to move my interview up almost a month because they had a cancellation. I think the same thing happened to Mistress S.

Good Luck to all of you

That is correct about rescheduling the interview--I sent in my secondary mid-Oct, finally received a "complete" postcard 11/8/04, and was invited for an interview mid-Dec, which I guess is fast by OHSU standards. ;) My original interview date was for early Feb, but the admissions office is very friendly and offered to put me on a list for cancellations, so I got in a full month earlier than that. I was only given 2 days notice for that spot though, so if you ask to be put on that list make sure you are prepared to come on short notice! Good luck to everyone applying to OHSU! Hopefully we will get invites/acceptances soon. :luck:

bdt said:

Wait, they gave you a 12 week max? haha, i've been complete there since mid sept...

Hi All,
A quick OHSU tuition question:
Is it possible for out-of-staters to become instate residents after the first year, and then pay in-state tuition for the next three years? Is it necessarry to work in Oregon or something? buy a condo? get a driver's license? I'm looking at whether or not to keep my interview here, and would love to know what I might end up paying for an OHSU education.
Thanks!!

arisunomori said:
Hi All,
Is it possible for out-of-staters to become instate residents after the first year, and then pay in-state tuition for the next three years? Is it necessarry to work in Oregon or something? buy a condo? get a driver's license? I'm looking at whether or not to keep my interview here, and would love to know what I might end up paying for an OHSU education.
Thanks!!

if you are a full time student, you cannot become a resident.
they make it nearly impossible.
http://www.ohsu.edu/registrar/residencypolicy2003.pdf

bdt said:
scrappysurfer....

I think I've had nightmares like that. Wow!! that is one of the worst interview stories I've heard. What a terrible chain of events. Karma dictates that good things are to come for you. Especially given the great attitude you show about the events. OHSU doesn't know what they're missing. Here's hoping Harvard will know what to do with you.

Queen of Cryptic...

They say some of the building will be open as soon as 2006, but the real question is .... when will the arial tram be finished? Because, let's be honest, that'll be a fun lil' ride.

Good Luck to all of you

Thanks for confidence booster!

I guess I'm just gonna have to wait and see what they throw my way! :D

econstudent said:
Wait, they gave you a 12 week max? haha, i've been complete there since mid sept...

econstudent,

Take a look at you completion postcard. It says something like, "We will contact you when we've made a decision. It may take up to 12 weeks." If they're past that 12 weeks, I'd say you're more than justified in calling and saying something like "It's been 16 weeks and the card says 12, I've heard you're really busy this year, but wanted to check in and make sure there was nothing missing from my app that may be holding it up."

I have heard that they're behind their normally slow timeline this hear (just rumors from folks. No concrete evidence), but I'd check in if I were you. It might be good news, no news, or bad news, but at least you'll know something.

arisunomori said:
Hi All,
Thanks!!

It is all but impossible to become a resident, but the school is raising in-state tuition while capping out-state tuition (at least that's the plan the dean mentioned during my interview day), so the differences in tuition will become less and less. Something to think about.

Good Luck

bdt said:
It is all but impossible to become a resident, but the school is raising in-state tuition while capping out-state tuition (at least that's the plan the dean mentioned during my interview day), so the differences in tuition will become less and less. Something to think about.

Good Luck

Thanks so much for your help and the link.. It's a hard interview to pass up...

arisunomori said:
I'm in shock. Can the out of state tuition for the academic 04-05 year at OHSU really be $5,443.75.???

http://www.ohsu.edu/academic/registrar/fees2004-05 final.htm

Wishful thinking! That page you brought up starts on the medical informatics tab (look at the bottom of the page, you'll see tabs for the different programs at OHSU). So if you want to go into medical informatics, it'll cost $5,443. If you click on the tab termed "medicine" you'll see the cost/term for the md program. There are 3 terms per year. Here's another link that is easier to see the costs....

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/admissions/tuition.shtml

So basically this is it...
In-state: $23,000
Out-state: $33,000

bdt said:
Wishful thinking! That page you brought up starts on the medical informatics tab (look at the bottom of the page, you'll see tabs for the different programs at OHSU). So if you want to go into medical informatics, it'll cost $5,443. If you click on the tab termed "medicine" you'll see the cost/term for the md program. There are 3 terms per year. Here's another link that is easier to see the costs....

http://www.ohsu.edu/som/dean/md/admissions/tuition.shtml

Ok, too bad it's not just $5,443, but that makes more sense. Thanks for your help!

bdt said:

Actually, I think those figures are for 2002--the info they gave us at the interview for projected 2005 tuition was ~$27,000 for in-state and $38,000 for out-of-state. :eek:

Mistress S said:
Actually, I think those figures are for 2002--the info they gave us at the interview for projected 2005 tuition was ~$27,000 for in-state and $38,000 for out-of-state. :eek:

Yup, those numbers I posted sure did seem low when I typed them. I'm sure in-state will be above $30k in the very near future. Thinking of avoiding those $$$ softens the blow of that impending rejection/hold letter a little bit (OK not really).

Still have you seen the view from the new hospital building? Gorgeous view of Mt. Hood and the city. $30K a year wouldn't buy be a house with that view in Portland. I figure with all the time I'd spent at the hospital years 3 & 4, the tuition is worth it for the view (OK maybe not, but rationalizition helps)

skyline01.jpg

Thanks for the correction.

Did OHSU notify those of you who received interviews by phone, email, or snail mail?

How about if you were rejected post-secondary & pre-interview?

Old_Mil said:
Did OHSU notify those of you who received interviews by phone, email, or snail mail?

How about if you were rejected post-secondary & pre-interview?

Interview offer and subsequent rejection arrived by snail mail.

Housing (at least by san diego standards) was remarkably affordable. my host actually bought her gorgeous little house around the corner from the classrooms. She had hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, and the view of mount hood (shown in the photo above) from her study.

You would have to establish residencyby working for one year. You cannot establish residency while a student.

Increases in for in-state tution are due to major cuts in state support. the school is becoming increasingly private.

I interviewed 1/4/05, I'm in-state. Just click the link in my signature for my stats. :)

My interview was actually much like surfer's, only mine was MD only. My first interview was FANTASTIC, went perfect. The second interview...well, I'm pretty positive he was being a general a-hole just to test my reactions. In the course of an hour he did this:
-insulted my previous interviewer on a personal level
-insulted OHSU and much of their curriculum
-told me all the doctors I've shadowed have lied to me and were worthless
-brought up political issues, told me I was wrong and he was right, no matter what
-told me that my current ideas for future specialties were all pretty much horrid and I'd hate them

Course, he was a chief surgeon, so this personality is pretty typical.

I'm pretty sure this was his interview style...to argue with you, even about your name, if need be. I was taken aback, and felt I wasn't in control...but I was calm, stuck to my guns, and refused to give in to his point of view just to please him. I was able to get the last word in, but I still don't feel confident about the interview. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks....

Anywho, I loved the school though, regardless of tuition and a bad interview. I gave out-of-staters the "grand tour" of OHSU instead of self-guided. Course, it was my first time there as well, but I memorized the map (former geographer) so I led them around. It was a gorgeous day, and they all got to see the mountains. :)

OrnotMajestic said:
I interviewed 1/4/05, I'm in-state. Just click the link in my signature for my stats. :)

My interview was actually much like surfer's, only mine was MD only. My first interview was FANTASTIC, went perfect. The second interview...well, I'm pretty positive he was being a general a-hole just to test my reactions. In the course of an hour he did this:
-brought up political issues, told me I was wrong and he was right, no matter what
-told me that my current ideas for future specialties were all pretty much horrid and I'd hate them

I'm pretty sure this was his interview style...to argue with you, even about your name, if need be. I was taken aback, and felt I wasn't in control...but I was calm, stuck to my guns, and refused to give in to his point of view just to please him. I was able to get the last word in, but I still don't feel confident about the interview. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks....

Anywho, I loved the school though, regardless of tuition and a bad interview. I gave out-of-staters the "grand tour" of OHSU instead of self-guided. Course, it was my first time there as well, but I memorized the map (former geographer) so I led them around. It was a gorgeous day, and they all got to see the mountains. :)

Was your interviewer that was a little difficult at the VA? I had a similar interviewer last week at OHSU and he was a chief surgeon as well. He grilled me all about healthcare finance and economics for at least 30-45 minutes. Finally at the end he told me he did it to see how I handled stress and to see if I can formulate ideas with info I don't know a ton about. Anywho, I guess we will see soon. Keep fingers crossed!

OrnotMajestic said:

I had a similar experience there...one of my interviewers was a complete jerk.... he didnt read my app before so he read it in front of me, he started questioning me about where else i interviewed (he made sure i knew he went to and ivy leauge med school) to judge how qualified i was since this was supposed to be an interview where the interviewers dont know your stats . He just made me very uncomfortable. They say they tell you within 4 weeks so I should hear soon although initially most people get put on hold so I'm expecting that for now since my stats aren't great (33, 3.6).

My other interviewer was the opposite...he was really nice, didn't push me into saying anything that he wasn't supposed to, etc.

Overall, the school and hospital are great. I'm from L.A but I actually liked Portland a lot even though it seems to be raining/sprinking all the time (at least when i was there).

dsherida said:
Was your interviewer that was a little difficult at the VA? I had a similar interviewer last week at OHSU and he was a chief surgeon as well. He grilled me all about healthcare finance and economics for at least 30-45 minutes. Finally at the end he told me he did it to see how I handled stress and to see if I can formulate ideas with info I don't know a ton about. Anywho, I guess we will see soon. Keep fingers crossed!

Yup, that was him. Same questions, too. He really took me off guard from the beginning of the interview, so I have to admit I was ill prepared (normall, I'm a fantastic debater...just not when I have to remember to be overly respectful and nice). My issue was, I didn't know where to draw the line. I'm in a chief surgeons office, interviewing to get into my top medical school...what do you say? Like I said, I stuck to my guns, admitted when i didn't know the information, and still brought up points and ideas while acknowledging his side. The only thing that worries me right now, is that he told you he did that on purpose...and he mentioned nothing of the sort to me...wonder if that means that i failed his test? Obviously you did well if he told you his game.

Oh well, if I don't get in, it's not the end of the world I suppose!! Even though now it has been verified that this is his interviewing technique...much of the other interview (the 15 minutes we DIDN'T talk about government subsidized health care) was filled with unecessary, rude and uncalled for statements.

Funny how I didn't even mention chief surgeon OR the VA and you knew who he was.

OrnotMajestic said:
Yup, that was him. Same questions, too. He really took me off guard from the beginning of the interview, so I have to admit I was ill prepared (normall, I'm a fantastic debater...just not when I have to remember to be overly respectful and nice). My issue was, I didn't know where to draw the line. I'm in a chief surgeons office, interviewing to get into my top medical school...what do you say? Like I said, I stuck to my guns, admitted when i didn't know the information, and still brought up points and ideas while acknowledging his side. The only thing that worries me right now, is that he told you he did that on purpose...and he mentioned nothing of the sort to me...wonder if that means that i failed his test? Obviously you did well if he told you his game.

Oh well, if I don't get in, it's not the end of the world I suppose!! Even though now it has been verified that this is his interviewing technique...much of the other interview (the 15 minutes we DIDN'T talk about government subsidized health care) was filled with unecessary, rude and uncalled for statements.

Funny how I didn't even mention chief surgeon OR the VA and you knew who he was.

I finally asked him towards the end of our long healthcare finance talk if he had any questions about my motivations and reasons for entering medical school beyond what we were talking about. That is when he told me he felt that he couldn't analyze such a big thing in a short interview with a person and so he applies his strategy. I am sure you did fine and he only told me that because of the question I asked him. Before we even started really talking, I knew I was in for it because he was over 40 minutes late and when I asked him how things were going he said, "horrible, my patient just had a heart attack." In my head, I was like, 'awesome, probably isn't going to be as laid back as my first'. But we both got through it and I will keep my other fingers crossed that it comes out well for you!

bdt said:
Yup, those numbers I posted sure did seem low when I typed them. I'm sure in-state will be above $30k in the very near future. Thinking of avoiding those $$$ softens the blow of that impending rejection/hold letter a little bit (OK not really).

Still have you seen the view from the new hospital building? Gorgeous view of Mt. Hood and the city. $30K a year wouldn't buy be a house with that view in Portland. I figure with all the time I'd spent at the hospital years 3 & 4, the tuition is worth it for the view (OK maybe not, but rationalizition helps)

skyline01.jpg

Thanks for the correction.
Considering these numbers, is it possible to attend OHSU without any family or spousal contributions? I read on there website that they expect students to have outside financial support. Any comments, especially from current OHSU students?

Who interviewed last friday in the rain? I saw three of you walking behind a female tour guide...you guys looked nice. If you are from out of state then rest assured the weather isn't always like that; you picked the only rainy day of that week to interview.