Follow up to unique situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reed0104

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies, I truly appreciate all of your thougtful responses. Just a couple more questions. Why should I wait to take the april MCAT if I can take it the august before, I realize now this puts me at a disadvantage for fall 2000, but aren't the MCAT's good for 3 years? The reason I'm not taking the April test is that I won't be through with my physics until June. (I put it off until I took short Calc.) Additionally, what do admissions want from DO recommend ations? I shadowed a couple of DO's and one said she'd write me a strong letter,(she said she would look at letters from other people and write one based on that) but what kind of involement in osteopathy do they want to see? How did you folks get involed and what kind of DOish experience do you have?

Thanks Again,

Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have much info for you on DO stuff. I personally did not work with any prior to applying to UNECOM. I just did a lot of reading and talked with a couple of DO's. I think what they want in those letters of recommendations is to see whether you understand the DO way of thinking, are committed to being a DO, that kind of thing.

I for one think you should take the August 1999 MCAT. I never meant to give the impression that you shouldn't, only that you should wait to apply until next year. This gives you the opportunity to retake the MCAT in April of the following year (2000) and also apply as early after June 1st as possible.

Renee

i should have been clearer. if you want to apply for med school, then take the MCAT in April or earlier prior to the year you want to atted school. i.e. want to get into the 2000 class...take the april 1999 mcat or ealier mcat. but caution yourself, even though the mcat is good for three years, some schools might not accept scores over two years old. i think the idea is that they want to see how you rate at a current level. also shadowing a DO and getting a strong letter on your personal character and knowledge and comprehension of oseopathy will be extremely important. i don't know much more DOish experiences you can get. just my opinion, rene

Members don't see this ad :)
reed0104,

I'd make sure to follow a DO that practices manipulation. I was asked if I had ever witnessed manipulation at my TUCOM and COMP interviews.

JY

To Reed 0104,

I actually got involved by attending a Osteopathic Awareness Conference at the local Osteopathic school (COMP, Western U). I also talked to an old school DO (pre-CA amalgamation) about the technical aspects of osteopathy.He answered any questions that I had and also wrote my recommendation. I suggest you help your DO get to know you better by writing an autobiography (7-10 pages). You should include your reasons on why you wanted to become a DO, and any life events that inspired you to be a physician. ( This will also help you strengthen your confidence for your interviews.) Another thing is to ask your friends who are going to DO school about any information that you may want to know. If you don't have any friends going to DO school yet, I'm sure that there are plenty of people here that can help you.. About the MCAT, I hear that the August version is a little harder than the April MCAT. This maybe a rumor, so check out the facts..Try and take a review course if you can afford it. It'll keep you studying.
Good luck,
Duke

[This message has been edited by Duke (edited 01-26-99).]