Food Allowance when not in the hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our program currently has $125 a month for residents to use while they are in the hospital on a rotation and nothing for outpatient clinics. I have heard that some programs use a debit/credit card to provide GME funded meals/educational allowance. Does anyone know of a particular program that does this? It would be particularly helpful if you could name the program so the residents could present this to the DME as a suggestion. (It's a new program and apparently, the DME has really never heard of this).

Members don't see this ad.

Our program currently has $125 a month for residents to use while they are in the hospital on a rotation and nothing for outpatient clinics. I have heard that some programs use a debit/credit card to provide GME funded meals/educational allowance. Does anyone know of a particular program that does this? It would be particularly helpful if you could name the program so the residents could present this to the DME as a suggestion. (It's a new program and apparently, the DME has really never heard of this).

At CCF we are planning to switch to a debit card system, but it would only be available inside the hospital. Currently, we are allowed $9 for meals each day we're on call, but there is no system for verifying who's actually on call. Subsequently, the number of residents "on call" greatly increases in the cafeteria and restaurants;)

PMPMD's model is what I've heard done most. Many programs give residents/trainees a debit card or load their hospital ID with a certain amount of money for the year, which is calculated based on # of calls per year and money/call. You can use it however you want IN the hospital. So if you're not on call but just working a regular day and want to use that money go for it-- you spread the money out how you like for work related meals. Never heard of programs giving money for eating OUTSIDE of work (i.e. not the hospital cafeteria) but I'm a few years out. Of course, if you're not at work, you are welcome to use your funds in the hospital cafeteria, but then I would question your non-work life ;-)