Food Animal Vets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lsucouple

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you are planning on becoming food animal vets? What are your job prospects after graduation?

Just wondering...It's my area of interest.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm open to being mixed practice when I graduate. I particularly like small ruminants (goats and sheep), camelids (alpacas and llamas), and maybe small scale (i.e.-backyard) poultry flocks, but cattle are okay too. Not a big swine fan. I haven't done a ton of looking yet for jobs. Hope they're out there! ;)

I am probably going to cow the dairy cattle route, maybe get some additional education in therio or epidemiology

Members don't see this ad :)
If I don't end up in zoo med, I will probably do mixed animal practice. Here food animal tends to imply industrial ag, which I don't really care for.

I am planning on being a mixed animal vet, and I really like dairy, camelids and small ruminants as well :). I think the combination of clinic work followed by occasional farm visits sounds wonderful! Mix it up!

I'm planning on tracking food/dairy. I've heard mixed opinions about job prospects here in California. Some people are saying there's a major shortage of vets, and I'll likely have multiple job offers at graduation; on the other hand, some people are saying there are no jobs for large animal, and to take small animal electives because I'll need them. :confused:

Probably do large animal only for a few years on a loan forgiveness plan if I can get into it, then do mixed in the long run.