Food during MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XsmallX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took my first practice mcat test (it was the free one by amcas) and got a 34. While I am happy with that score (I have two more months until my exam :)), I would like to maximize as much as I can. I have partial anemia (just iron anemia) and so energy is always a REALLY BIG problem for me:scared: Energy was a big problem for me on this practice test too, so obviously I need to find something around it.

What did you guys eat during the breaks for energy? my friend keeps telling me to try the 5-hour energy drinks, did that work for anyone here? Any other ideas? Before you suggest alcohol (well you might!:confused:) or anything crazy, please keep in mind that i'm short and thin :p

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you're a regular caffeine junkie, you may want to avoid energy drinks and coffee. Caffeine has irritating side effects for those not accustomed to it.

I took PB & J sandwiches and a sports drink (Powerade, Gatorade, etc.) to the test center.

I ate a banana, a blueberry crisp cliff bar (the best flavor IMHO :) ), a sandwich, and water & a soda to drink. I was pretty much stuffing food in my mouth during breaks... Lol. I'm hypoglycemic, short, and thin, so I definitely feel ya.

Protein bars are a good idea- try the Snickers Marathon protein bar- the one with 21 grams of protein instead of 26. Tastes WAY better.

I would never recommend a 5 hour energy drink. I also would only recommend coffee if you drink it a few hours before. on the actual test day you are going to be nervous and probably have some adrenaline going, and these things can make it worse. On my test day, I ate a power bar between breaks and drank a sports drink. My most important advice: Whatever you decide to do, make sure you simulate your test day exactly when practicing! If you rarely drink coffee, don't decide to do drink it the first time on test day. If youre taking the test at 1, then practice taking the test at 1 with all breaks and what you're going to do on those breaks. This will help gauge if you are going to be fatigued, hungry, thirsty, if the coffee is gonna make you pee in your seat during the biology section, and then you can adjust accordingly. Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
@ toomuchresearch - when i took the gmat (doing mba and bs at the same time), i ate pb sandwiches and it really didn't help me, maybe I should I try the powerade...? I ended up doing well on that since I really didn't have any pressure *phew*

@ LRAccord - I will definitely try the protein bar idea, snickers sounds good:D:D

@kated - that's exactly the problem i have with the 5 hour energy drink, I've only had coffee twice in my life:eek: so i don't want to die during the exam...yeah my exam is at 1 and i took my practice at 12 (cause i got tired of waiting for one:cool:)

anyone tried cheez-it? did that help anyone?

Just a heads up, as obvious as it is, also watch what you eat the night before. If your friends want to take you to this exotic locale that has $1 sushi, avoid it.

If you're anemic, let's think about things high in iron...

Try having a steak (assuming you eat meat) and a big green, leafy salad the night before. That should boost your iron levels for the morning of. And I definitely suggest NO on the caffeine (that can actually decrease absorption of iron, according to the phlebotomist that turned me away the last time I gave blood!) - I recommend a Clif bar [or any other high fiber, high protein, high iron type bar]. The morning of my MCAT, I had a bagel with peanut butter and sliced up bananas. It was a good boost, but just my $0.02.

If you just want a carb with no nutritional value, this is right on. :thumbdown: Seriously though, try something with more substance. You're gonna be kicking yourself if you just bring Cheez-its, eat them during the first break, and then hear rumbling while you're in the writing section! Good luck!!

Yeah dude, cheez-its are definitely worth an extra 2-3 points :laugh:

Seriously though, stay away from the stimulants, you'll be running on more than enough adrenaline.

I did 1 liter of gator/powerade to sip throughout, and a footlong sub to tear into at each break + a banana. Food bars (esp. cliff bars) are pumped full of sugar you don't need. Last thing you want to do is start crashing halfway through bio.

@glasshalfMD - i didn't mean just cheez-its for the exam:scared: i meant something else + cheez-its, but you and amakhosidlo are right, cheez-its doesn't seem like the right idea....thought it is filled with cheesy goodness:love: haha i don't eat meat and I eat lots of green things, but during exams that doesn't seem to help me...

I think i'll go with the bagel, protein bar and powerade, thanks everybody:thumbup:

OP, may i suggest you try adding some steak to your diet? its the best source of iron (10-100x better than iron from leafy greens) and might help your anemia in the long run.

for test day, try to maintain a moderate to high blood sugar level...i would recommend powerbar or nature's valley bars, they are easy to eat, taste good, and provide alot of energy. bring some chocolates/hard candies too for immediate boosts if needed.

@ pelliper - i am aware that steak is way better than leafy greens, but I have chosen to be a vegetarian:D of course i do take iron supplements everyday:) thanks for the suggestion anyway:love:

alright will definitely get those bars:) wouldn't chocolate make me crash though in the middle of the exam?:scared:

@ pelliper - i am aware that steak is way better than leafy greens, but I have chosen to be a vegetarian:D of course i do take iron supplements everyday:) thanks for the suggestion anyway:love:

alright will definitely get those bars:) wouldn't chocolate make me crash though in the middle of the exam?:scared:

Yay for vegetarians! Me too..just started two weeks ago!

Congrats on the practice score not a bad place to start. I think the best thing you can do is just take lots of practice tests to get used to the length and the grind. I was in a similar position as you before taking mine, I spent the couple weeks before my exam cramming and trying to take full practice exams as often as I could, almost every other day. The ones offered by the AAMC are great and cheap compared to a kaplan online class. I also highly recommend red bull, but that's me and I am a recovering energy drink addict ha. I had one right before my exam and got through it no problem (just got the scores back today too :)!) Good Luck!

I had a big dinner the night before and breakfast the morning of, but didn't eat a thing during the exam (took it in the morning). I didn't want to waste any energy digesting!

candy/granola bar is a 1-2 punch. the candy acts fast on blood sugar levels but its effect runs out fast. the granola bar acts more slowly but over a long period of time. so if u feel tired during the exam, eat the chocolate or candy together with a bar during your break, and u will be set for at least the next hour or so. don't forget to drink water too, and use the bathroom if needed. personally i cant concentrate if i have to pee :D

Yay for vegetarians! Me too..just started two weeks ago!

Nice :D I've been one for 8 years :D

@jc235 - I think the energy drink idea is definitely out for me after all the input i received from the SDNers

@barcoderider - my exam is at 1, so I will have to eat something there's no way I could go without food X___X kudos to you for doing that! :D i really wish i could do that...(and I know lots of vegetarians who can, but i can't :()

@ pelliper - thanks for the suggestion :D i'm definitely taking the granola bar and chocolate bar because i need the burst of energy after verbal...since that seems to kill everyone

thanks everyone :D

Last edited: