Food during shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderbread12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering what other residents are eating while on shifts? I usually have *insert protein bar* but find myself usually too busy to eat anything more substantive without feeling like I'm abandoning ship . I've lost quite a bit of weight since starting residency as a result and I'm getting sick of just random protein bars

Any easy, go to meals that y'all eat during shifts?

Members don't see this ad.

Sliced apple and ham sandwich are still my go to's. Get a nice lunch box and don't bring food you need to heat. Even if it's just a few bites while your charting you're body will thank you

Reactions: 4 users
There is always time to eat. A dehydrated, hungry Doctor cannot provide optimal care. Don't martyr yourself. The patient's will just keep coming.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trail mix and beef jerky for the win. Especially when it's your custom made trail mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with above - pack a lunch. It's better and healthier than the chicken nuggets and diet cola you can get from the cafeteria. Plus, you can eat it between seeing patients without having to leave the ED.

While I also agree with Cerebrus' point, it's harder to do this during intern year, but you should be able to find time for it by 3rd year.

Reactions: 1 user

Last edited by a moderator:
Pop tart & Gatorade

Learn it.

Love it

Live it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I always bring my own coffee- I tend to prefer whatever I have at home to hospital coffee (hospital coffee- no matter the hospital, always tastes bad). Also, I like to bring an apple, protein bar and kraft sharp cheddar cheese sticks. A bottle of water helps but I hate drinking a lot because I hate taking bathroom breaks at work- restrooms stinks at work. I like to pack some floss too, I can't stand food being stuck between my molars...haha

(hospital coffee- no matter the hospital, always tastes bad)
Yeah, but sitting on a hot plate for 6 hours makes that stuff rocket fuel. More effective than a 2am trip to taco bell.

I play at being ketogenic on occasion (which keeps me away from all of the tasty crap the staff brings in).

Nespresso
Coffee with coconut oil in it
Celery and peanut butter / almond butter
Nuts
Diet Mt Dew and Beef Jerky (overnight meal of champions).
Almond Milk or Coconut Milk based protein shake

Keeps the blood sugar stable, lots of energy.
I bring in a fair amount of salads but it can be hard to take the 10 minutes to eat it like a civilized human.

On overnights I like to occasional play "iron chef overnight" and make something ridiculous sous vide, etc... usually you can steal 10 minutes @ 0300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
pbj
clif bar
trail mix (sub for greek yogurt if AM shift)

i only do 9s but i'm a little bitch when it comes to not eating

pbj is the only thing that doesn't give me nap time afterwards. can eat one handed while doing clicky-clicky

Intermittent fasting. Look it up. Lots of benefits. It's a little hard to do with the schedule changes, but I'd much rather prefer to eat a gigantic meal than little bites of food all day.

Funny timing. Just got an email from admin that we can't eat in the department anymore. Guess I'll be joining the fasting group

Funny timing. Just got an email from admin that we can't eat in the department anymore. Guess I'll be joining the fasting group

Tell the admin to piss off and keep eating. That's not an easy rule to enforce 24/7 anyway.

Reactions: 3 users

They get an hour for a leisurely lunch but the docs can't sneak in a 5 minute snack? F them.

Wander up to the C-suite or the "Executive Dining Room" next time you're at the hospital at noon and just slap the food right off their table.

Wander up to the C-suite or the "Executive Dining Room" next time you're at the hospital at noon and just slap the food right off their table.

Your billings did pay for that food...

That's unacceptable. F-ing suits.

Last email I saw about no food/drink in the department lasted 3 months with people only semi-following it during the monday through friday day shifts only. Its silly to expect no breaks for a 10 hour shift.

"You're a resident, they don't pay you enough NOT to eat" - one of the best pieces of advice I received in training.

Reactions: 10 users
Am I the only one who hates protein bars? I've never eaten one that didn't taste like cardboard in some form or another ...

Am I the only one who hates protein bars? I've never eaten one that didn't taste like cardboard in some form or another ...

Plus, they cause stomach cramps and a massive #2. Save on five minutes eating a bar instead of a meal, pay for it on the other end by ten.

I'm ordering delivery or bringimg a full meal 80% of shifts and just living off water and diet cola the other 20%.

Basically I know there is going to be some moment every day where either all my patients will be awaiting something at once OR there will be a moment where I just have so many charts stacked up that I go "no one new gets seen. Time to power discharge and decompress the ED." In both of those situations I eat like a man who has not seen food in days and can inhale the food while either hiding in the ER lounge (like 15 yards from the ER) or flat out eat it at my seat while charting.

Chicken parmesan platters from the pizzeria, Thai food, burritos are all common mid shift meals. I make my interns take lunch breaks. Unless someone suddenly strokes or codes the world will keep on going without exploding if I either hide for 7 minutes to eat or I type and eat for 10 (typing slows me a bit haha). These eating breaks are FAST, but vital.

Obviously the nursing directors hate me with a burning passion but I eat so fast they rarely catch me.

Jimmy John's Beach Club + Sea Salt & Vinegar Chips + Diet Coke... :)

Premed here

If you let some of us minions come and shadow, you can command us to go get your food and you don't have worry about leaving. It works pretty well if you are finding yourself too busy to grab food!

Reactions: 2 users
Unfortunately i eat anything I can get fast. I'm not a good example :(

Wondering what other residents are eating while on shifts? I usually have *insert protein bar* but find myself usually too busy to eat anything more substantive without feeling like I'm abandoning ship . I've lost quite a bit of weight since starting residency as a result and I'm getting sick of just random protein bars

Any easy, go to meals that y'all eat during shifts?
I'm just curious if protein bar still works :)

I actually don't mind not eating a meal during an ED shift. Especially if I'm busy, I don't really notice it. Always try to make the effort to stay hydrated with lots of water, and usually have some form of caffeine whether it be coffee or energy drinks. I get absolutely zero satisfaction with any type of protein/granola bar, and I'll enjoy having a hot meal at home far more than a leukwarm sandwich crammed down between charts.

It's on the slow days however where we are just sitting around that hungar starts to attack

I fast on shifts I've lost 50lbs so far since getting out of residency.

Why do they say you can't eat in the ED? what's the rationale besides jhaco, etc?

I rarely ate anything more than a bar during residency. 8 hours shifts. As an attending, I typically get enough time to eat a real meal (leftover pasta, chicken, whatever) which is a huge win. Quality of life = better. With that said, sometimes it's still too busy to eat and you push it off till the end of your shift.

Eat a better meal before you go to work! Try a bagel, 2 eggs, some fruit, coffee. This will hold you for hours.

Jacho has no rule against food or drink in patient care areas and any self important jerk that says otherwise is lying to you

https://www.jointcommission.org/sta...details.aspx?StandardsFAQId=1229&StandardsFAQ

You're right, Joint Commission does not have any rules. However, they enforce OSHA regulations that state that food cannot be stored or consumed in places where body fluid splash is a risk (bloodborne pathogen rule). This includes patient care areas and also nurse stations if the nurses bring i-STAT machines, samples, etc. into the area. It is up to the healthcare facility to determine where drinks are allowed. The Joint Commission will enforce the facility policy based on OSHA guidelines.

05/17/2006 - Requirements for covered beverages at nurses' stations. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

You're right, Joint Commission does not have any rules. However, they enforce OSHA regulations that state that food cannot be stored or consumed in places where body fluid splash is a risk (bloodborne pathogen rule). This includes patient care areas and also nurse stations if the nurses bring i-STAT machines, samples, etc. into the area. It is up to the healthcare facility to determine where drinks are allowed. The Joint Commission will enforce the facility policy based on OSHA guidelines.

05/17/2006 - Requirements for covered beverages at nurses' stations. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

Body fluids can be anywhere

In fact, I have some in me at this very moment

As a resident I rarely ate anything. As an attending I usually bring food and eat something proper at some point during the shift. So much better this way. I’m glad the hospitals I am at now don’t give us sh**t for food in the doc area.

Food during shift? I was told by my admin that I'm not allowed to eat or drink during shifts and that this is a policy handed down by the feds. Apparently docs eating during shift drives patient satisfaction down and length of stay up. You mean this isn't true?

I eat a meal almost every shift as an intern with 12h shifts, I also have a gift of inhaling a meal in under 2minutes. If I'm too busy, then steady flow of granola bars all day and lots of water.

This might be the most explanatory thread I've ever seen for why the burnout rate in EM is so high.

I'll bet I don't eat on fewer than 1 out of 50 shifts. I can't remember the last one. What kind of a job doesn't give you 15 minutes to eat a meal? A crappy one. If doctors stop taking crappy jobs, there won't be crappy jobs. If the PPH at your shop is so high there isn't 15 minutes at some point between hour 3 and hour 6 of an 8 hour shift to eat, the place is not adequately staffed. What else is being dropped if you can't even put calories into your body? Probably a lot of important patient care and career lengthening positive interactions with patients and co-workers.

And why aren't your hospitals feeding you? The last (only) hospital I worked at that didn't feed me had the right to put me in jail for the rest of my life for not following orders.

How's this for an interview question?

"What percentage of the time do your doctors not have 15 minutes on shift to eat a meal?"

"Oh, about 3/4 of the time."

"Okay, thanks for the interview. Good luck with your search."

That's exactly how one job interview I had went.

"Oh, your new hires work all nights? How long does that last?"

"The first five years."

"Okay, thanks for showing me around your ED. It was great meeting you guys."

No kidding. Total deal breaker. How desperate do you have to be to agree to work all nights for 5 years? How desperate do you have to be to take a job where you'll rarely be able to eat lunch? You're not a med student any more. You're not even a resident. Most emergency departments in this country are desperate for doctors. You don't have to put up with this kind of abuse.

I eat a meal almost every shift as an intern with 12h shifts, I also have a gift of inhaling a meal in under 2minutes. If I'm too busy, then steady flow of granola bars all day and lots of water.

Reality is, life as an attending is about 20x as busy as an intern in the ED. I usually give interns a 1 hr break on an overnight shift. Enjoy these days while they last my friend.

Pretty simple, EM physicians value money above all else. Every non-military hospital I have ever been affiliated with would have been perfectly happy to give EM physicians an hour off for lunch and 30 minute breaks every 2 hours. Of course, the salary would have been reduced proportional to the reduced RVUs.

In our group, we could say we want to lessen the stress, give meal breaks, and see fewer patients and to do that hire more physicians to carry the load. However, it is rejected every single time because people don't want a cut to their salary. It is a choice; this isn't the Disney Channel; you can't have everything.

Pretty simple, EM physicians value money above all else. Every non-military hospital I have ever been affiliated with would have been perfectly happy to give EM physicians an hour off for lunch and 30 minute breaks every 2 hours. Of course, the salary would have been reduced proportional to the reduced RVUs.

In our group, we could say we want to lessen the stress, give meal breaks, and see fewer patients and to do that hire more physicians to carry the load. However, it is rejected every single time because people don't want a cut to their salary. It is a choice; this isn't the Disney Channel; you can't have everything.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is a conscious choice. This is the cool thing about owning your job- you can see 1.5 pph and get out on time or you can make $350 an hour and get pounded every shift. Both have their pluses and minuses. But it's nice to be in control of the decision.

I don't have a problem with that, as long as it is a conscious choice. This is the cool thing about owning your job- you can see 1.5 pph and get out on time or you can make $350 an hour and get pounded every shift. Both have their pluses and minuses. But it's nice to be in control of the decision.

It really comes down to payor mix. When you can see 1.5pph x 8 hr shifts x12 shifts/month and make $350k per year --> you have a good payor mix. Most places aren't this way. In order to meet annual income expectations, they have to see more patients an hour.

That said, I completely agree with you WCI. When I chose my current job, the two factors I placed the most weight on were:
1. patients per hour
2. reimbursement per patient

As a result, I rarely get overwhelmed, and I make a comfortable living. :D