Food for thought (and the MCAT)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soonerpillow

Dime-a-dozen schmuck
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should you eat the night before and the day of the MCAT?

On one hand, your body needs fuel: vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fats, etc. So you want to be sure to eat enough to give you body what it needs.

On the other hand, you don't want to be spending energy digestion food during the test. You want ALL your energy to go to your busy little noggin' that's trying to take a test.

So should you have a big meal the night before and then eat small nutrious things (granola bar, vitamin) the morning of and during lunch the day of the MCAT? Should you just eat normally?What do you think? What are your plans?

Members don't see this ad.

for dinner before the test:
2 shots of tequila with worm+ 3 cans of coors+ and all u can eat cotton candy...

for breakfast next morning:
2 table spoon of peptobismo+ half ramen noodle and a shot of good ol' tequila!(worm optional this time around)

yum!:rolleyes:

I am not sure what to eat the night before but be sure to eat. If I take the mcat in april I will head to the gym the day before to get a good workout and just get my blood pumped up.

For the mcat day itself:
Breakfast-
Nothing sickening. I will probably eat something light so I don't feel quesy later on. I am not sure what yet though.

Lunch-
I don't want to weigh myself down with heavy/fatty lunch so I think I will make/buy a rich leafy salad with a bottle of gatorade to get me started.

Dinner- PIG OUT AND DRINK SHOTS OF TEQUILLA LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW...(after getting my scores back, there probably will be no tomorrow.... :( )

eat high protein, moderate carb. you don't want a blood sugar slump. and whatever you do, do not drink too much water or whatever you choose to drink on the day of the test. there is nothing that breaks concentration like having to pee.

Originally posted by indo
This might actually be on the mcat: The brain only utilizes glucose as an energy source. Keep the sugar levels high I would recommend.

I wouldn't eat anything different for fear of the runs or some other GI problem. Good luck april peoples!
Actually, the brain also uses ketone bodies. But they don't teach you that in many intro bio courses ;)

What I did was drink a high protein smoothie. As a matter of fact, I started drinking that every morning the summer I took my prep class. It had cottage cheese (yeah, I know it sounds gross, but it's not), frozen strawberries and blueberries, and OJ. Carried me through lots of tough mornings.

I'm a huge believer in establishing a solid MCAT routine. That included, for me, eating the same breakfast for each diagnostic I took (PR), wearing the same clothes (black t-shirt- to hide pen marks- and, believe it or not, grey pj pants), and eating the same lunch- bagels with cheese melted on them. It *sucks* to have to find a place to eat lunch on MCAT day; if you have the menu already set, only the location will be a variable.

A few more suggestions: Don't drink coffee unless that's what you normally do. You'll be jittery enough, and probably will have a smaller bladder than normal no matter what. I made sure to bring some Pepto Bismol tablets, all my headache meds (ibuprofen as well as the meds I take when I get migraines, migraine-related nausea, or tension headaches), and several bottles of water.

Also, for women, come prepared for ANYTHING, no matter where you are in your cycle. A friend of mine started her period in the middle of the physical section, even though she wasn't due for 2 weeks!

Good luck y'all.