Food for Thought: Applying to non-PTCAS schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slow_twitch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I see on here many that are looking at PTCAS schools because I understand its nice to send everything to one source and then you can just start clicking on schools you want that info to go to. I only bring this up because I admit I was initially against sending applications to non-PTCAS schools because it was extra effort with separate applications and extra money to send transcripts. I would think because these schools are not a part of PTCAS, many would continue to be like me and wont want to apply. I got past the not wanting to and I was accepted to a non-PTCAS school and a few PTCAS schools but the acceptance rate is where i am going with this for those who are worried about your chance to get in or just want better odds in this process of applying. Looking back too, focusing on the non-PTCAS program sooner would have saved me money.

The PTCAS schools had 750-1000 applicants and the school I go to hasn’t had more than 250 in the past 4 cycles, while all of them still accepting the roughly 40-60 students. The difference though is that to apply you had to write additional essays and it did take the work but for some, the much better odds of 25% versus 5% could mean the difference. It just gives your application a greater chance of being looked at and being evaluated fully compared to schools that get 1000 applications and look for the easy ways to eliminate half right away. Those schools are where you’re back to playing the numbers game. I get the numbers game is important to a point but not to the level some PTCAS schools take it because they have to or they would never get through that many applications.

Basically, I am just trying to give other angles for some of those people who have a passion for this field but are worried about getting an offer or being noticed in the vast sea of applicants. Numbers are important but they are not everything so this can be a way to get around part of that and help make it happen for you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely. I am finishing my undergrad at the University of MN, which surprisingly doesn't use PTCAS, and the acceptance rate is 30%, which is on the higher side for PT programs for sure.
I have actually decided to go somewhere else for school (ironically used PTCAS), but just wanted to say that for someone like me who was a pretty average applicant, it allowed me to know I wouldn't have to beat out 800 kids for an acceptance

I agree also.. and the reality is that many of the PTCAS schools also want additional essays and application fees! So it definitely makes sense to consider non-PTCAS schools too cause you're going to have to do the work anyway... Might as well apply where you have a higher chance.