Food for thought to come up with research proposal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PumpkinKing

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to apply for a grant that'll allow me to pursue my own research proposal. I think it'd be a great way for me to spend my upcoming summer after M1, on my own schedule and at the same time staying productive.

This has been on my mind for some time I just cant seem to come up with an idea good enough for myself. Can anyone share the kinds of research ideas other people have come up with or brain food for how to come up with these ideas? Maybe journals or something to look into that have a student PI's?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Find a PI in a topic you're interested in and is willing to help you out with this.

Reactions: 1 users
Find a PI in a topic you're interested in and is willing to help you out with this.

Already on that. He said he'll think about this for me and let me know, so now I'm looking for other routes.

Good suggestion though, thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found a unique research idea while trying to create an algorithm for the discussion section of a case study. I always write down questions, but usually someone else has answered the question, I don't think it's interesting, or it's way more complicated than I want to deal with. This idea jumped out at me. I had to make sure I really understood the statistical analyses of the related studies so I could convince a physician mentor that it was a good idea even though no one else has done it yet. Now he's completely on board and excited too.

My suggestion is to look at your interest area, try to find things you think could be improved and write down questions. Look at the cutting edge literature and try taking it in a new direction or combine it with something else related.

As an M1 you will not be able to take a project from conception to completion lol why don't you just help other people who actually know what they're doing?

Reactions: 2 users
As an M1 you will not be able to take a project from conception to completion lol why don't you just help other people who actually know what they're doing?

I guess I can. I just wanted to go overseas this summer while still getting some research done and the most feasible way I see that happening is to do my own small research.

I think it's possible, I just feel like I'm not seeing what's right in front of me.

I guess I can. I just wanted to go overseas this summer while still getting some research done and the most feasible way I see that happening is to do my own small research.

I think it's possible, I just feel like I'm not seeing what's right in front of me.
No. Not being a dick but true research is not easy and only comes with years of experience and hard work. I echo the advice given by others to jump onto another project and learn from it, so you can do your own later as an ms4 or resident.

Reactions: 2 users
To echo what others have said here...find a mentor.

To do meaningful research you have to: (a) have a good idea, (b) have funding, (c) have approval from oversight bodies like the IRB (for humans) or IACUC (for animals), (d) have experience designing experiments in a way that will ultimately be publishable, (e) have enough time and/or support from others to see a project through to completion.

As a student, you may have a good idea but you'd have a hard time managing the other aspects on your own unless you have A LOT of prior research experience. If you want to go overseas, find people who are doing international research and see if they have room for you on a trip. That's the best chance you have of doing anything meaningful.

Reactions: 1 user

A project requiring a grant isn't small bruh.

find a mentor, and jump onto an established project. starting something from scratch is very difficult and you won't have enough time.

Indeed.

Funding bodies don't give you money for a good, interesting idea.

They do it for a good, interesting idea that can actually be done, and you prove that by a having a hypor5thesis to test, showing preliminary data, that you have a research infrastructure that can support your project, that you know something about the subject, that you can assemble a team that can help you with the project, and that you can do it in a reasonable time-lime.

A project requiring a grant isn't small bruh.

This is what you really want, isn't it???

I just wanted to go overseas this summer while still getting some research done

Reactions: 1 users
No. Not being a dick but true research is not easy and only comes with years of experience and hard work. I echo the advice given by others to jump onto another project and learn from it, so you can do your own later as an ms4 or resident.

Not to be a dick, but this entirely on the research project, your arbitrary definition of 'true research' notwithstanding.

There are types of research that don't require an IRB review. http://www.american.edu/irb/noreview.cfm You don't have to have significant experience to do what it is you want to do, however, you do need to be extremely self motivated. (And have faculty support).

Your reasoning for doing a mini-project - so you can travel - sounds immature. I'm sure there are other things you can do with your MS1 summer that would allow you to travel, for example, volunteering for a week at a summer camp for disabled kids. But really, you'll have to be a responsible adult in a few years. Do something that will promote your career instead of looking for something easy.

There are types of research that don't require an IRB review. http://www.american.edu/irb/noreview.cfm You don't have to have significant experience to do what it is you want to do, however, you do need to be extremely self motivated. (And have faculty support).

Your reasoning for doing a mini-project - so you can travel - sounds immature. I'm sure there are other things you can do with your MS1 summer that would allow you to travel, for example, volunteering for a week at a summer camp for disabled kids. But really, you'll have to be a responsible adult in a few years. Do something that will promote your career instead of looking for something easy.

Thank you for the link, I'll definitely look into it.

But seriously man, save your pep talk, there's too much of that going around on this board. What the hell gave you the idea Im doing this mini research so that I can travel, purely for leisure? And what business is it of yours how I choose to spend my free time after busting ass in med school.

I'd like to make the most of my summer, which includes volunteering for a couple of months abroad in a Spanish speaking country with plenty of free time. I am doing it for my career obviously, to pick up my Spanish and enjoy myself a bit too. What part of accomplishing something out of self-motivated research thereafter sounds immature to you? Save it, please.

Thank you, and everyone else for their help in this forum.

Indeed.

Funding bodies don't give you money for a good, interesting idea.

They do it for a good, interesting idea that can actually be done, and you prove that by a having a hypor5thesis to test, showing preliminary data, that you have a research infrastructure that can support your project, that you know something about the subject, that you can assemble a team that can help you with the project, and that you can do it in a reasonable time-lime.

This is what you really want, isn't it???

Chill out man it'll be as grand as I can think up. You really belittling my attempt to try to figure something out and get into it?

No one's giving me this money freely. I'd have to work for it, and then work with it.

I've gotten in touch with a Professor at my school who might have some meta analysis work for me to perform.

Trying not too get my hopes too high up but I don't think I can help myself.

Thanks to all those who shared with me. Chill out the rest of you, geez. I'm just human.

I'm trying to educate you into the reality of Science, and how it's funded. I'm all for thinking of a project, but you don't get money to research it merely by having a cool idea.

Chill out man it'll be as grand as I can think up. You really belittling my attempt to try to figure something out and get into it?

No one's giving me this money freely. I'd have to work for it, and then work with it.

As I say to my 10 year old: "These words came out of your mouth".

What the hell gave you the idea Im doing this mini research so that I can travel, purely for leisure?

I'm trying to educate you into the reality of Science, and how it's funded. I'm all for thinking of a project, but you don't get money to research it merely by having a cool idea.

As I say to my 10 year old: "These words came out of your mouth".

What the hell gave you the idea Im doing this mini research so that I can travel, purely for leisure?
m.

I won't argue with, Goro. There's a difference between my statement and how it was interpreted, and you should've been able to see that with your wealth of knowledge. My primary motivation and goal is to improve my Spanish and volunteer. I don't need any part the grant to do that.

Then you don't need to do research. Your goals below are admirable. Me gusto decir: Tener un otra idioma es tener un otra alma.

m.

I won't argue with, Goro. There's a difference between my statement and how it was interpreted, and you should've been able to see that with your wealth of knowledge. My primary motivation and goal is to improve my Spanish and volunteer. I don't need any part the grant to do that.