Food for thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is interesting that you posted this based on your responses in the previous thread. I am not white so I don't know why you would rush to judge others you have never met. Regardless, I am not seeing the connection here between white priv. and recommending against unfunded programs with poor outcomes. I may be misunderstanding your post though so I apologize if that is the case.

Jon Snow has some interesting opinions about this "white privilege." It will be fun when he posts. ha. I teach grad students, so I tow the party line on this to a certain degree, but I think it can get quite distorted and out of hand.

Regardless, this obviously does not give refuge or a "good excuse" to charge people 3 times the average psychologist salary in tuition and then provide them with largely subpar (or clinically narrow) training and and 1:2 chance of matching to an predoctoral internship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Racho,

Thank you for posting this. I don't know why this has to be related to previous threads. Some people sound like broken records. If it is then, fine. If it isn't then, fine. I am thankful for this link and I think that it is important information for anyone in our profession to hear. I will be sharing this with the multicultural group at my school. It is nice to see something different in this forum and this makes me hopeful that some of us can share information in the future.

Best.

Jon Snow has some interesting opinions about this "white privilege." It will be fun when he posts. ha. I teach grad students, so I tow the party line on this to a certain degree, but I think it can get quite distorted and out of hand.

Regardless, this obviously does not give refuge or a "good excuse" to charge people 3 times the average psychologist salary in tuition and then provide them with largely subpar (or clinically narrow) training and and 1:2 chance of matching to an predoctoral internship.

I think these programs perpetuate white privilege and inequality. "Predatory" lending practices usually target minorities at a higher rate. Schools like Devry have a very high percentage of minorities, and many are saddled with debt that they cannot even discharge with bankruptcy. Argosy also has a high percentage of individuals that default on loans. Consequences of default are severe and include taking away your professional license, damaging your credit, affecting your interest rates on loans, and garnering your wages. I can't think of a better way to perpetuate inequality.

We talked alot about white privilege in my graduate school coursework and in diversity classes. It also comes up a lot during groups you run with minorities. I find it interesting though that Asian Americans command higher median salaries than White people in this country. I think female subordination is a huge problem in most parts of the world, but people ignore this part more.

Last edited:
Wow! This video is about an hour long. It is really great and makes several very good and very interesting points. I am going to see if I can find a transcript. Still, wow!

I think these programs perpetuate white privilege and inequality. "Predatory" lending practices usually target minorities at a higher rate. Schools like Devry have a very high percentage of minorities, and many are saddled with debt that they cannot even discharge with bankruptcy. Argosy also has a high percentage of individuals that default on loans. Consequences of default are severe and include taking away your professional license, damaging your credit, affecting your interest rates on loans, and garnering your wages. I can't think of a better way to perpetuate inequality.

We talked alot about white privilege in my graduate school coursework and in diversity classes. It also comes up a lot during groups you run with minorities. I find it interesting though that Asian Americans command higher median salaries than White people in this country. I think female subordination is a huge problem in most parts of the world, but people ignore this part more.

I am glad you enjoyed it. LOL, yes it's long but very informative. I was actually discussing this video with a colleague who is working on her internship essay 3, this morning.

Interesting that some of you made the connection to the previous thread. I wasn't even thinking about that other thread when posting this. If I thought it was related, I would've posted it there and not create a new thread. Just saying.
On that note, I am tired of the other thread. Moving on...I hope you can too ;)

Oops meant to reply to other poster. Dang cell phones lol.

Sent from my cell. Please excuse any typos.

White privilege and for-profit professional schools have as much overlap as the structure coefficients of a varimax rotation...

Racho,

You and that phone crack me up! Oh, I found his BOOK! I am going to order it! He is amazing. I never heard someone before tell it like it is in the way that he did.

Again, Thanks!

You might as well go ahead and make this your signature :laugh:

I sort of thought you would have posted the video in the other thread if you were trying to make some sort of point... some of y'all got some SDN tunnel vision! :p

White privilege and for-profit professional schools have as much overlap as the structure coefficients of a varimax rotation...
Hello,

Okay I acknowledge that you know something that I don't know. Should I phone a friend or will you enlighten us?

With a smile.

MT

You might as well go ahead and make this your signature :laugh:

I sort of thought you would have posted the video in the other thread if you were trying to make some sort of point... some of y'all got some SDN tunnel vision! :p
phillydave,

I second the motion that Racho makes the phone error disclaimer notice er signature line! Too funny!

MT

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Okay I acknowledge that you know something that I don't know. Should I phone a friend or will you enlighten us?

With a smile.

MT

Why sure neighbor. Structure coefficients represent the simple correlation coefficients between variables and eigenvectors that are individually considered and therefore, in contrast to pattern coefficients, do not consider or control for the communalities between other predictors and DVs.

Why sure neighbor. Structure coefficients represent the simple correlation coefficients between variables and eigenvectors that are individually considered and therefore, in contrast to pattern coefficients, do not consider or control for the communalities between other predictors and DVs.

Yes, that is amazingly appropriate! Well done AND witty. Kudos.

MT

Racho,

You and that phone crack me up! Oh, I found his BOOK! I am going to order it! He is amazing. I never heard someone before tell it like it is in the way that he did.

Again, Thanks!

I know, right? LOL. I have had some very embarrassing typos occur. One happened when I was emailing someone in one of the APA divisions in response to an announcement. Luckily, he took it with humor and told me that there is some hilarious email that was circulating awhile back listing the funniest typos. I must locate it! :)

I am going to order his book too. I have seen this video a few times and I never get sick of it. There is another video I would like to post from ted that blows my mind! I will post it in a minute. It isnt diversity related but its awesome.

I don't think they have much overlap. I was trying to find a counterargument to the idea that they help increase opportunity for minorities (which I hear frequently).

I know, right? LOL. I have had some very embarrassing typos occur. One happened when I was emailing someone in one of the APA divisions in response to an announcement. Luckily, he took it with humor and told me that there is some hilarious email that was circulating awhile back listing the funniest typos. I must locate it! :)

I am going to order his book too. I have seen this video a few times and I never get sick of it. There is another video I would like to post from ted that blows my mind! I will post it in a minute. It isnt diversity related but its awesome.

Racho,

Cool, please do. I look forward to it.

MT

I don't think they have much overlap. I was trying to find a counterargument to the idea that they help increase opportunity for minorities (which I hear frequently).
I think that might have been the point....

Structure coefficients are orthogonal from each other so they have no overlap. Just trying to inject a bit of statistical humor in these trying times...statistical humor is always apropos in these situations...

Structure coefficients are orthogonal from each other so they have no overlap. Just trying to inject a bit of statistical humor in these trying times...statistical humor is always apropos in these situations...

Yeah, it was very well done!

Racho,

Cool, please do. I look forward to it.

MT

Mein, I just posted it as a new thread. Enjoy :) I would like to know what you think of it too.

Now I want to hear Jon Snow's view, haha.
Seriously? This Jon Snow must be some kind of good looking. Two women so far are waiting on his opinion.

So, Cara, what is your opinion of the video? Have you watched it?

Smiles.

MT

Mein, I just posted it as a new thread. Enjoy :) I would like to know what you think of it too.

Racho,

Thank you! I was waiting. I will go to the other thread.

LOL, your phone!

MT

I didn't watch it but I'm familiar with the concept. I think that male privilege exists so I don't doubt that white privilege does, too (although I have no way of knowing for sure because being white makes me not realize when I have it).

I didn't watch it but I'm familiar with the concept. I think that male privilege exists so I don't doubt that white privilege does, too (although I have no way of knowing for sure because being white makes me not realize when I have it).
ok, suit yourself. It was very interesting....

Sorry, I'm at that point in the semester where I don't really want to watch psych-related lectures for fun. ;)

Seriously? This Jon Snow must be some kind of good looking. Two women so far are waiting on his opinion.

So, Cara, what is your opinion of the video? Have you watched it?

Smiles.

MT

Hehe...everyone is waiting on Jon Snow.

I think he is a good speaker and makes some good points. I like the research on stereotype threat and I think it can be very powerful. I didn't watch the whole thing because it's too long right now :)

I did want to add that my waiting on Jon Snow's opinion has nothing to do with my being female. :p

I did want to add that my waiting on Jon Snow's opinion has nothing to do with my being female. :p
I think that I should be feeling some kind of threatened/intimidated/subject to harm by the way the two of you are acting. Is Jon Snow not a nice person?

I think that I should be feeling some kind of threatened/intimidated/subject to harm by the way the two of you are acting. Is Jon Snow not a nice person?

Well...he IS the bastard son of Eddard Stark. . .

12 minutes in, His math becomes awfully ridiculous. He states that an African American household making 60,000 a year is worse off financially than a white household making 15,000 a year, because of loans and other support. Time for some math. 15,000 a year is roughly 1250 a month, effectively 1000 counting taxes, depending on your state. Now subtract your house/car/light/water/everything else bills, including the loans can be upwards of 750$, Not including Television services, cell phone bills, internet, or anything beyond the standards. That is 250$ a month, for food, gas, consumables, savings, and anything else.

I'm going to finish the video, and certainly looking forward to the comments of one too unoriginal to pick a fitting net handle.

It's okay, I went for like four years on this board without getting any of the Jon Snow references.

I heard Jon Snow never cries. Too bad since his tears would cure AIDS.

Really, I am beginning to feel like I am back in high school, surrounded by mean looking "cool kids" while they wait for the high school quarterback to come take my lunch money.

Because of an interesting video posted by someone else....(cue the twilight zone music...)

I still have lunch money leftover from those kids. Its how I afford my wife's shoe habit.

Last edited:
I dont know what its like teaching there, cause I dont live there.

Last edited:

I really don't think you need to worry about anything. Everyone wants to hear from Jon Snow because it's usually a source of an interesting point of view. It's important to remember never to get intimidated on the internet, after all, it is still the internet.

I really don't think you need to worry about anything. Everyone wants to hear from Jon Snow because it's usually a source of an interesting point of view. It's important to remember never to get intimidated on the internet, after all, it is still the internet.
Thanks for being nice to me. It is difficult to be the new person sometimes.

Thanks for being nice to me. It is difficult to be the new person sometimes.

New person, old person. You can take this oldie but goody from AA, "take what you want and leave the rest."