Food for Thought

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GassiusClay

PGY-2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just finishing up my internship and started having second thoughts about gas (yes, anesthesia). I don't know if I am just dumb or is something really going on in my head.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are programs in the midwest (mainly Chicago) that would take a switch. I was disappointed by Step 3 since I sort of got sick during the night after the first day and sort of second day. So I went from 99>95>91. Sucks big time pride and everything. How will this affect me if I try to switch?

Thanks to everyone. Anyone can PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a US grad, did a good internship, and have the support of your IM PD, with those scores, you'll be able to get a great IM spot. It's all about finding an open program, and resigning your anesthesia program without creating a huge blowback.

You should talk to your IM PD. They will be able to advocate for you, and see if any spots in programs you might be interested in are open.

You should check your anesthesia contract, and see what it says about resigning.

You should start your anesthesia residency and see how it goes. Maybe you'll love it? Maybe not, but then you can resign half way through the year and look for an open IM PGY-2 spot.