This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanJ2124

nj
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to see what you guys think about this.

I currently volunteer in the Emergency department at a hospital, and usually my duties include cleaning patient rooms, preparing IV kits, etc., but here's the thing, most of the time, it feels like there's nothing for me to do. On the one hand I can appreciate that a slow day in an E.D. is a good thing, it means less people are sick/injured, but on the other, with nothing to do, I can't help but feel like my own boredom sort of leads me to want something to do (i.e., have some patients come in), which as I think about it, is very interesting feeling. Its almost as if I am wishing someone ill.
Now, this all goes away on a busy day, I'm too preoccupied to think about how many people are actually coming in, but still, I wonder if doctors, nurses and other hospital employees ever get that same feeling that I have.

What's your take on this? I'd love to hear about your experiences!

I too used to volunteer in the ED, and literally at least half the time I would just wander around doing nothing. I must live in a safe area or something, because nobody ever comes in! haha

Since it was completely worthless I changed areas into something cooler.

I am currently working in the ER, night shift!

I share your point of view. It is interesting how it works in the ER. We curse the busy days for being too much work and curse the slow days for being boring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I imagine this gets even more interesting when you work in private practice, and not only do you avoid boredom when people need medical assistance - you actually get paid when they do. Direct financial incentive for you to wish others ill. Kind of makes the whole profession seem rather ghoulish right?

I'm not so sure. The truth of life is that people get sick, people are injured, people die. Hoping that you have the opportunity to put your talents (or at least, your motivation) to good use is totally benign. It's not that you actually hope people get sick. Rather, you understand that it's a part of life, and hope that you get the chance to participate in their care, because you derive meaning from doing so.

I imagine this gets even more interesting when you work in private practice, and not only do you avoid boredom when people need medical assistance - you actually get paid when they do. Direct financial incentive for you to wish others ill. Kind of makes the whole profession seem rather ghoulish right?

I'm not so sure. The truth of life is that people get sick, people are injured, people die. Hoping that you have the opportunity to put your talents (or at least, your motivation) to good use is totally benign. It's not that you actually hope people get sick. Rather, you understand that it's a part of life, and hope that you get the chance to participate in their care, because you derive meaning from doing so.

That is such a wonderful way to think of it, not as wishing others ill but wishing you can help others. There are obviously those that could always need help, and I agree that it is satisfying to feel that you are useful in this world.

Well done!

I used to wish for codes to happen while I was working as a PCT on tele. I mean, I didn't want them to happen, I just wanted to be there when they did. Same when I was an EMT wishing for calls. It's common.

Thanks for posting! I feel like you have a really good insight on this! And I definitely see how that can be the case. I'm sure now that what I was feeling was that, and not that people would get sick.

I did some first responder work a couple years back. People used to "brag" about getting the cardiac arrests and other cool calls. It's normal.

:thumbup: Couldn't have said it better myself.

It also helps if work/patients are spread out more evenly across a shift, instead of the normal scenario: sitting around bored to death doing nothing for hours then getting slammed w/ 3 or 4 at once.

You always end up missing something interesting/educational since you can only be w/ 1 patient at a time.

I'm an ER tech, and while I do appreciate the volunteers that help out in the ED, it absolutely drives me nuts when they walk around doing nothing. Now I have no idea how your ER is, and like you say it might be not that busy a lot. However the ER I work in is always constantly busy. I can't stand telling the volunteers that I need beds cleaned, mostly because I don't feel comfortable ordering them around, however if I don't tell them a lot of them will simply turn a blind eye to a dirty room. I noticed this is mostly a problem with the younger volunteers such as the 16 and 17 year olds trying to get into college, compared to the ones in their 40s and 50s who are volunteering because they WANT to be there. For the most part, I do appreciate the work you guys do in the ER.

For the ER I volunteer in, we are not allowed to clean rooms or change bedding. Mostly its just taking patients from one room to another. So, I walk around most of the time wishing I could clean or something!

I also feel uncomfortable asking a Tech or Nurse who seem busy if I can do anything. It doesn't help that the answer is normally no.

You didn't (or will) become a doctor just to sit around in the ER all day, so wanting people to come in isn't a bad thing...

Thought%20for%20Food%20Logo-thumb-550x316.jpg

Whenever I'm bored in the ER, I either make stretchers or sheepishly ask an MD or PA if I can shadow them for a half hour or so.

The ER shift is always boring for me since there's only so much bed cleaning and restocking someone can do until there's none left. :(

It is funny to see a bunch of hopeful premeds jump for joy when a trauma alarm sounds though. :laugh:

Try doing the night shift during major drinking holidays. :eek:

Honestly I work on a Ortho/Neuro floor in a hospital at night. All I do is discharge people, bring them food or stuff, update the boards and some other stuff. I easily spend at the minimum half an hour just hanging around doing nothing. Not that I'm complaining tbh, I'd rather an easy shift than one where I'm running around the hospital.
I mean honestly you're a volunteer, you have no training or responsibilities. You shouldn't expect the nurses to ask you to look after patients or do anything that requires any medical training.

Worked as a research intern for the trauma department, and I would hope for a trauma to arrive in the ED so I could go down and check it out. I'm pretty sure anyone that's ever worked in trauma/emergency medicine has the same feelings.

Worked as a research intern for the trauma department, and I would hope for a trauma to arrive in the ED so I could go down and check it out. I'm pretty sure anyone that's ever worked in trauma/emergency medicine has the same feelings.

While in the ER we all do hope to save lives, some of us secretly want codes to come in just so we can help save the day or just see something cool happen

How do you guys convince the ER staff to let you watch a trauma case?

Status
Not open for further replies.