Football LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedQuest

Da Truth
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying next year and i know that schools require 3 letters of recommendations. So far i know that i can get 5 really good letters: 3 from professors (including thesis advisor and department chair), 1 from an Ortho doctor that i will have been working with for 1 year, and another one from my football coach when i played college football. I do not know which ones to summit. I would love to summit my football one because i did put in a lot of work and dedication to the sport my whole life. How would adcoms look at this recommendation. By the way the head coach who wrote me the LOR, his team is #1 in the BCS and if they win out against michigan they should play in the big dance:clap: . All wisdom welcomed. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

First off, the Big Dance is the name of the Basketball Tournament, not Football...

Second, I'm guessing you are referring to Ohio State and Coach Jim Tressel. I would say as long as you are putting in your other letters, I would go ahead and send his too. Only thing is, it might not be any good when Michigan mops the floor with the Buck*sses... LOL

Good luck applying :D

GO BLUE! (Family's from Michigan) ;)

Lol i find it kinda of funny that someone who played football called the championship the big dance. Anyways thats amazing that you would played D1 football and maintained premed, much respect. Unfortunately, Michigan will kick some buckeye a$$. Ohio state is bound to lose and it doesnt get any bigger than Mich-Ohio State. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by pbehzad
Lol i find it kinda of funny that someone who played football called the championship the big dance....
maybe he played soccer :p

No, he's talking about Football.

The BCS is the Bowl Championship Series, the series that Ohio State won't have to worry about after playing the Wolverines...

sorry about calling it the big dance. You guys are on top of things. Didn't know you guys were so techincal.

whooooooooverines. they lost 2 games and and i predict a close game next week but ohio state will pull it out. Sorry about that it will not be a close game i forgot that we are playing in the horse shoe in the sea of red. remember we did beat you guys last year in the big house. Michigan should have be embarrased. I just want to watch an exciting college football game.

First off, you almost lost today to a weak team, and secondly, no one has a harder schedule than Michigan.

Two tough losses against Notre Dame and Iowa were hard. But Ohio State would have lost too(and probably worse) if they had to play those teams. Your schedule was much easier this year than ours. With Red Shirt Freshman Matt Gutierrez (from NorCal's Concord De La Salle HS might I add :D) starting next year instead of weak John Navarre, we'll be right back in the hunt next year. You'll see.

Go Blue!

You guys are not going anywhere because ohio state not leaving. ohio state had the 2nd best rated rookie class last year and should have the best this upcoming year. o state has alot of freshmen that are awesome. Maurice clarret being one of them.

He's good, but overrated and injury prone. He didn't even play today did he?

"A good defense will stop a good offense anyday..."

'Nuff said.

OSU is going all the way this year....!!!!
Michigan sucks....they lost to Iowa....and Iowa really sucks (well at least they did at the begining of the year...when my SMALL school almost beat'em.....)

So did you play for youngstown or OSU?....oh and tressel is a big celeb now in ohio....and well loved (as a FB coach you beat that school up north and you will be loved here).....so i dont see how it could hurt.....esp at OSU med. school....

How many michigan freshman does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None...its a sophomore course! :laugh:

GO BUCKS:clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
THE BUCKS ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Fiesta Bowl here we come! I'm going to Arizona in January!!! 1 :D :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
Where are all the Bucks on SDN?

Don't count your chickens before they hatch Buck*sses.

They still have to beat Michigan. And I don't think they can, but we'll see.

OSU=Overrated State University
Michigan is going to go into Columbus and romp on the Buckeyes!

Back to the original question. . . If this person knows you well and can write a good letter, definitely have him do it. It can only be good for you. Just make sure that you have the other science, non-science, and shadowing letters too.

Originally posted by logos

How many michigan freshman does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None...its a sophomore course! :laugh:

GO BUCKS:clap: [/B]

Oh man, a quality of school joke from OSU again Michigan... damn, I've always heard that to get into OSU, all you need is a six pack of beer or a pulse. Both the six pack and the pulse used to be required, but not enough students were able to meet this requirement.

Go Blue!!!!

By the way, hell of a job taking Illinois to OT... BCS Number 2 my ass.

damn, I've always heard that to get into OSU, all you need is a six pack of beer or a pulse.

OSU has increased their admissions standards so much! People in my senior h.s. class with 22+ (i know, not that great but still) and decent GPAs didn't get in and it's getting more selective every year.

And really, Maurice Clarett is not overrated. He is an amazing athlete!
I don't want to make anyone mad, I'm just a girl who's really proud to be a Buckeye. No hard feelings? ;)

I've always heard that to get into OSU, all you need is a six pack of beer or a pulse

Thats the way it used to be....but now....
More like a 25+ ACT and a B ish GPA :clap:

Thinking about transfering there......but not sure yet....hafta decide soon though......:rolleyes:

By Michigan, you all are referring to the Foolverines, right? The days of Michigan dominance are over. The days of Ohio State losing their chances at a national title because of the Foolverines are over. Coach Tressel guaranteed a victory last year over the Foolverines and the Buckeyes got it without being the favorites, in the Big House even! The Foolverines are headed to the Horseshoe this time around and it'll be even better. John Navarre is the biggest choke, I mean joke there is in college football. Craig Krenzel is three times the football player he is. With our without Clarett, the Buckeyes are going to the championship game. Sorry, Foolverine fans, I guess you'll have to wait for basketball season, oh wait, nevermind.

Buckeye Fan for life! GO BUCKS and Michigan SUCKS!!!

What about my question. anymore opinions

Medquest,

I PMed you, but you should definitely send in the letter from Coach Tressel. He is well respected and very intelligent and a letter from your coach stating your dedication to a team (which is what medicine is all about) will help your cause immensely. I wish I would have had a letter from a coach, like Tressel or in my case Coach K. It'd be very impressive.

Come to think of it, I think Matt Christensen, a former Duke bball player is applying to med school too and I bet you he had Coach K give him a rec.

Good luck and go Bucks!

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
Medquest,

I PMed you,
Where is my email?!?!? :confused: :( ;)

I would definitely submit. Most people have no clue of the commitment college football requires. The letter would be very helpful in highlighting that issue and should attest to your work ethic. I kind of regret not getting one from my coach.

I dont know if you would want a letter from coach tressel, i mean he could be as dumb as those jocks at Ohio St. ;)

if the buckeyes lose... and washst and usc win-out.... washst will be going to fiesta bowl... AND USC WILL BE IN THE ROSE BOWL!!!!

GO WOLVERINES!

GO USC!!!!:clap: :clap:
University of South Carolina
Gamecocks!!!Sorry Had to rah rah rah for my school:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog
if the buckeyes lose... and washst and usc win-out.... washst will be going to fiesta bowl... AND USC WILL BE IN THE ROSE BOWL!!!!

Actualy....wont texas go if OSU looses? thats what they were talking about during the game today....

Originally posted by Dr. Dodger Dog

GO WOLVERINES!

Actually if Ohio St. or Miami lose, Wash St. probably wont go because Oklahoma will surpass them in the final BCS ranking due to the Big 12 Championship which would give them a higher strength of schedule. Now Texas lose today hurts and the fact that OU wont play K-state may hurt, but OU should jump Wash St. OU wins out and Miami/Ohio St. lose, OU will be at the Fiesta, and Wazzu in Rose.

BOOMER SOONER!!!

Hey logos, there are two teams that play in the Rose Bowl, you know. LOL

:D

Sorry.....thats what I ment.....not texas...but oklahoma.....got the 2 confused for a bit there.....

Yeah.....talking about the fiesta.....

Two teams always go to the rose bowl....a BIG 10 team and a sucky team from somewhere or another :laugh: !

OSU already has a win over Wash St. and you're assuming OU will make it out of the Big 12 Championship without a loss. Plus, OSU losing to Michigan, the #10 team in the nation isn't as bad as OU losing to the Aggies. Iowa would jump up, they're going to the Rose Bowl regardless of how OSU does. But, you won't have to worry your little heads too much, there are only two unbeatens, and those two will be that way next after next weekend as well.

Down with the BCS, it's a dumb system!

Wow- I can't believe I haven't read this thread earlier.

Just let history speak for itself...

quoted from your very own buckeye nation...trust me i don't have a subscription.

"Schembechler??s 1969 arrival in Ann Arbor marked the rivalry??s zenith. His very first team shocked No.1-ranked Ohio State 24-12, costing Hayes (his former boss) a national championship. It was this game that ignited a 10-year war that pushed animosity between the two programs to an all-time high.

In 1993, 1995 and 1996, Ohio State came into the Michigan game undefeated each season, but needing a victory to reach the Rose Bowl. The Wolverines upset them each time."

Ohio state has GOT to be the most overrated team out there. BCS #2 and you go to overtime with a 4-6 Illinois team? That's so sad. Even all you buckeyes with a 22 ACT can figure that out.

Michigan killed that same Illinois team 45-28. You guys are totally vulnerable to the pass, and NAVARRE (GOD WILLING) will SHOCK even Michigan fans by not choking in a big game. I also admit, Navarre is our weakest link-- but when Gutierrez our freshman phenom begins to play-- watch out!

GO BLUE!

ahhhhemmm..... you mean #1 in the BCS? (since last monday or so

And OSU plays to the competition....UC almost beat 'em.....

There gonna beat michigan....and while i recognize that history is to the contrary.....this is a new coach...an new era...

(as for the history the only time osu has had a substantial winning record againsted Mich was when woody hayes was coaching....)

OH MY GOSH- you're right! #1 in the bcs . what a crock that is huH?
#1 team in the nation. that's such a joke.

hey but i got nothing against you osu fans- it's awesome to be passionate about college football. No greater game in the land.

Logos,

I'm glad you said it, I was going to if you didn't. Ohio State is #1 in the BCS, not #2.

This is indeed a NEW era. Coach Cooper bred a team 1993, 1995, 1996 that didn't care about winning. Tressel is about morals and standards, to which we can hardly say that Michigan atheletics brings to the table.

Also, OSU and Michigan...two completely different styles of offense. If you do your homework, OSU just worked the ground game all day last year against the Foolverines. Where was Michigan then, a team that hasn't really changed all that much since then?

Have you watched any of the OSU games? Apparently not since you have no clue. OSU has got the ground game, the passing game, the defense, and even without Clarett, the quarterback with twice the intelligence that Navarre has. This is the one game every year that Michigan starts talking big. Wait till they step into the Horseshoe. The BCS doesn't care about close games. If OSU played teams like Rutgers (like Miami does) they'd blow them out too.

OSU is going to do just what UConn did in the 1999 championship game (as much I hate to say it)...they're going to shock the world!

GO BUCKS, MICHIGAN SUCKS!

Oh, and another thing...

Michigan fans should want Ohio State going to the Championship Game. All Big Ten schools get proceeds from that.

And another bonus!! Michigan can use that money to pay back the NCAA for their basketball violations. No wonder why Michigan State has such a better program. I feel sorry for Amaker, that's a waste of a Duke Basketball genius mind being at Michigan.

Just something for all the Foolverine fans to think about...

First of all i am impressed that Ohio State is still undefeated. They deserve more respect than they get, but they have not played as good a team as Michigan yet. They beat Wazzu at beginning part of the season. Furthermore, Ohio St. probably isnt even best team in Big 10. Its a shame Iowa doesnt get a chance at the natl championship. The big 10 needs to get a championship game, just like big 12 and sec. all major conferences should have championships. Michigan has all the motivation in the world to kick Ohio States a$$. They can ruin their most hated enemies dreams of a natl championship, and i think even a BCS shot.

As far as OU is concerned. Assuming OU wins out big 12, it will jump Wash. St. Now is it fair, the system is flawed, but hell i am a Sooner Fan and as long as OU goes to natl championship (assuming OSU/Miami lose) i will be fine with that.

Michigan 35 OSU 14.

It's a shame also that Iowa lost to Iowa State...

Big Ten should have a championship, and the finals of football should include a tourney. The BCS is worthless. But, a win is a win. If you're undefeated, you're undefeated. That's a hell of a feat in the Big Ten--despite what Big Ten haters out there say, the Big Ten is the by far the best conference in football, just like the ACC is the best in basketball.

Also, just because you play in a conference championship, doesn't mean you're playing in any more games than a team that doesn't have a conference championship to play in. If your team is really good enough, they should make it through the conference championship.

Plus, again, Big Ten should now support the Buckeyes and pull for them to win and go to the Championship game. The conference gets money, which is used to help pay for things like athletic scholarships, ha and NCAA violations (re: Michigan).

they seriously have to get rid of the BCS and do playoffs man. Use the BCS to just seed teams.

Let's just take these scenarios- michigan beats osu- and they jump usc due to the quality win factor. Texas drops out of top 8 and OSU also does.
Anyways, whether Osu wins or loses- it's not the point of this specific post- the point of this post- is look at the quality of games we'd get and the entire country would love to see this happen!

(1)Miami vs (8)USC
(4)Georgia vs (5)Notre Dame

(2)Washington St. vs (7) Michigan
(3)Oklahoma vs (6)Iowa

then what do you predict?
Miami vs Notre Dame
Michigan vs Oklahoma

Miami over Oklahoma?

Regardless- this would be the best 3 weeks in all of sports.

anyway.. to the original question.

make sure he, your coach, und erstands what should be in the letter. definietly give a background cover letter, saying what is importnat in the letter, etc. Remember, he has very little experience wr iting such letters.

Oh, you think Michigan would beat Notre Dame this time around?

Actually, the point of this post is whether or not the former football player at Ohio State, who is probably laughing his a$$ off at us fools over this arguing, should use a letter from Coach Tressel. Whether you're a Lloyd Carr or Bo S. fan or a Woody Hayes, John Cooper, Jim Tressel fan, the bottomline is he absolutely, 100%, without a doubt, use that recommendation.

Let's not use the SDN network for rivalry, at least not yet.

i agree. i was stating that the point of MY post, not the point of the thread was just to argue the point of having a playoff system rather than argue why michigan is going to beat osu.

to the point of the thread though- Yeah totally use the freaking letter! The fact that you are asking if you should use the letter makes me think you're just telling us about that letter to showcase that you played football. Nothing wrong with that, alot of people on SDN make statements to show off- myself included. But come on, anyone in their right mind knows that a recommendation from THE head coach of a nationally known football program is ONE TO USE. Now if you had a recommendation from the PING PONG CLUB coach- then I'd reconsider. But playing football, maintaining your studies, and acquiring that discipline that is so very rare in college kids--it IS something to highlight in your application.

so if we have to have a 4 page thread going on whether or not to use the recommendation- then I wonder what's going wrong with this world.
but the only reason this thread is 4 pages- b/c of harmless and fun college rivalries.

Originally posted by DukeBluDevl02
Logos,

This is the one game every year that Michigan starts talking big.

If OSU played teams like Rutgers (like Miami does) they'd blow them out too.

First of all, to all of us up north, the michigan/ohio state rivalry is secondary to the michigan/michigan state rivalry. We honestly don't even think about the Buckeyes, because we've seemed to have beaten them the vast majority of times over the past 10 years (can't remember the actual numbers, but it's very much in favor of the blue.) Last year, yes, the bucks did win. But even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Second, if OSU played teams like Rutgers???? Try Cincinnati and San Jose State. Have a little respect for your team, and actually schedule some hard out of conference games. We play teams like Washington (they were good) and Notre Dame. You don't even play a hard conference schedule.

But, I will be watching the game, and looking forward to this one. If the bucks do beat the wolverines, then yes, they do deserve a shot at the championship. But this is the game where we find out.

And Navarre really does suck.

M

Well spoken, even from a Michigan fan ;)

I didn't even go into Ohio State (though I've been a Buckeye fan all of my life) and hardly any other Buckeyes stepped up to support me. I hope I get more support from fellow Blue Devils when bball season approaches and the Twerps starting calling us their "rival" again because we ruin their season every year, and would have last year too, but were stopped in our tracks by IU. Oh, well, college rivalries are great! I hope I continue the fervor even when I'm in med school!

In all honesty, I wish your team luck against Ohio State, but I don't think this year is the year either for them. If Michigan does lose, ya'll should definitely throw your support to the Buckeyes as the conference will certainly get money that goes to all of the schools.

Now we should start a debate about which area of the country is the best...MIDWEST all the way baby!

Medquest:

I thought the letter from your coach was agreat idea until I read it.

• From the office of Jim Tressel

• I write to you on behalf of a young man in our football program. I don't give this compliment out lightly, but he has been the best water boy our team has had in my tenure as the head football coach. When a player gets thirsty, which they do frequently, Mr. Quest is always there with fresh water bottles. In the event one of your doctors is thirsty, I can strongly recommend that Mr. Quest could keep them well hydrated. Please accept Mr. Quest into your program.

Sincerely,

Jim Tressel
    Head Coach
    Overated State University
    Director of Soft scheduling

So Medquest, I'm not sure that letter will really help you out much. :)

Seriously, it is incredibly impressive that you played D1 football and completely pre-medical classes at a high powered university. That letter should not only be in there, it should be the focus of your LOR file.