For 4th year DO students applying allopathic GS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plinko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious how the other DO students out there are going about applying to both DO and MD GS programs. I applied to way to many programs (approx 60) believing my application was not that strong. I really didn't want to be left with nowhere to go next year; that and the fact that fifteen people at my school didn't match anywhere gave me all the more incentive. Now I'm finding that I don't have the time or money to go on all the Osteopathic GS interviews--I applied to twelve two weeks ago and have nine offers to interview as of yet. I am taking the USMLE Step 2 in a week, and I've been told whether or not I interview at any of the MD programs depends of my performance--I didn't take Step 1. Although I have had one interview invite at an MD program. My question is this, how are you guys going about deciding between the MD and DO match? It appears that I will get in somewhere in the DO match, but I of course am less certain about the MD match. Should I get ten interviews or so for MD programs I'm not sure what I would do. I hate the idea of getting into some run of the mill DO program (something like my last choice) and then get yanked from a good program I would have been accepted into in the MD match on account of it. Basically, I am stuck with deciding what criteria to use to pull myself from the DO match and was wondering what others were using.

Members don't see this ad.

i am kind of in the same boat. but the state i live in requires us to have the osteo internship year. so i have also applied to some of those programs as well. and i guess that adds a year of training, but it also gives me a year of flexibility if things dont work out this year and i can apply more broadly to allo programs

At this time I'll rank my favorite DO programs accordingly, and if I don't match then I will go through the MD match. If that doesn't happen, then the joke's on me.

I feel your pain. I'm a DO who matched into MD radiology last year. Went though the same thing.

I don't know what your stats are (having Step I would have made things easier) but if you think you are competitive for MD surgery, you should apply for as many realistic programs as you can afford to. If you can get to 10-12 MD interviews, statistically, you should match. Of course, there is always a chance you won't.

I would recommend going on all of the interviews you are offered. I know it's expensive, but this is your future. Then, you just have to "play it by ear". If you get good vibes from the allopathic programs, you can take a shot. On the other hand, you might find that you like some of the osteo programs just as much.

I know this sucks. But things worked out for me and I hope they work out for you.