For a 3.4/30, which of these schools would be the best bet

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by J.Pearlman, Aug 30, 2002.

1. J.Pearlman

J.Pearlman Member

U of Vermont, St. Louis, Tufts, Jefferson, Rochestor, Boston U., Mt. Sinai, Loyola, U. of Pittsburg, George Washington, Einstein.

I have a 3.4 (ov.gpa)/3.4 (sc.gpa)/28 mcat/NY resident/loads of EC's. I am already applying to a lot of schools so I can only choose 3-4 more from the list above. Thanks a lot.

Also, if timing of application is a factor for any of these schools, let me know since I AM applying kind of late.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr. Kermit

Dr. Kermit Senior Member

I applied to Tufts, Jefferson, Sinai, Pitt (PA resident), GW, and Einstein. I was offered interviews at Tufts, GW, and Einstein, put on hold at Jefferson, and denied at Sinai and Pitt. With Pitt, they sent me a secondary, cashed my check, and rejected me two days after it was cashed! I had a 3.56 and 30. Good luck.

4. greniedgal

greniedgal Member

Wow...Pitt rejected and Hopkins accepted you? (and you were in state for Pitt??) :eek:

5. omores

omores sleep deprived

Resident [Any Field]
    I think Dr. Kermit meant Hopkins undergrad, not medical school.

6. greniedgal

greniedgal Member

Yeah, I totally misread...my bad. ;)

7. Silvertip

Silvertip Member

J.Pearlman-

DO apply to SLU! I applied with a 3.1/32 MCAT (two different undergrad degrees) and was accepted outright this year during my first application cycle. Also, I felt that the administration and facilities at SLU were really in the favor of the student. U.Vermont/Loyola did not invite me for an interview. Best of luck.
    :confused: :) :confused:

8. ocean11

ocean11 Senior Member

Howard University....

9. basha

basha Senior Member

Isn't Howard primarily an african-american school, meaning if you're not Black or a minority, then your'e chances are very low of getting accepted. This is why I didn't apply there.....if anyone can tell me elsewise, I'll apply there too ( and also.....meharry, rite?)

10. Su4n2

Su4n2 Senior Member

where is SLU, what's the full name?

11. basha

basha Senior Member

saint loius univ., dont apply there though cuz ur jus decreasing my chances.....o wait, SLU really stands for Southern Louisiana Univ, and u can apply there since i forgot to....jus kidding!!!

12. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member

Just curious, is your MCAT a 30 or a 28? In the title you said 30 and here you said 28. Not that it makes a huge difference.

13. I vote for SLU, Tufts, and GW. I interviewed at all 3 with a 3.62 and 29 MCAT, and accepted (off waitlist) at SLU and Tufts.

14. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Applied to all the schools on this list (plus 14 more) except Einstein and Loyola. With a 3.5 cum GPA from Stanford and a 30M MCAT (12v,8ps,10bs).
    My results:

Rejected pre-interview: Pitt, Boston (took forever to notify me)
    Put on hold forever and finally rejected: GW
    Rejected post-interview: Rochester
    Accepted: SLU
    Waitlisted: Vermont, Tufts, Mt. Sinai, Jeffferson

I was an August MCATer with my apps all complete when the scores came out. I think some of those WL's might have been acceptances had I not been an August MCATer.

You do need to clear up the confusion about whether your MCAT score is 28 or 30. That and the distribution could be a factor in which schools to apply to. But based on what you've said so far, I vote for Vermont, SLU, Jefferson and either Tufts or Mt. Sinai. Best of luck.

15. warpath

warpath Officer Cadet

Hey SMW,
    which school do you go to now? I'm at Wash U. I don't know if you remember, but we met at the Jefferson interveiw.