For All PA Residents Going to Medical School in PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bacchus

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A great piece of legislation was yesterday for us that will save some money during medical school. The PA House of Representatives passed legislation that extends the age of coverage under a parent's health insurance to 29 years old as long as you're a dependent, don't qualify for governmental care, are unmarried and a full-time student or resident of PA.

I hope this saves some of you the 1000-2000 dollars a year for a school's coverage.

Link: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...alth_care_for_young_adults_passes_in_Pa_.html

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably clarify some of the requirements since they sound misleading...here is the clarification anyway:

To qualify, the individual must be unmarried, have no dependents, and be a resident of Pennsylvania or a full-time student. The individual cannot have other health-insurance coverage nor be eligible for government-provided health benefits.

Great news though. I didn't feel like forking over $2K+ for PCOM's insurance.

If you're a dependent I'm pretty sure you can't claim dependents. But thanks for the clarification. I pulled everything from that site but might have not wrote it all down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Too bad this doesn't apply to students in PA but parents in NY.

Aren't you automatically considered independent when you begin attending a professional school?

Aren't you automatically considered independent when you begin attending a professional school?

Yes, you are. Which is why I re-posted that section from the article. If you read it carefully, it says, "Must have no dependents". It doesn't say that you "must be a dependent". See the difference?