For all Pharmacy Techs...questions about your job.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirius77

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently working towards my pharmacy technician license. I was wondering if some of you that are already working in this field could perhaps provide me some information about your job:D :

1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy?

2. Which job enviornment retail, hospital, mail order, etc. do you work in?

3. How long have you been there? How long until you got licensed?

4. What are some of your likes and dislikes pertaining to the job?

5. What was your starting pay? What is it currently?

6. What computer system do you use? Do you like it or could it be better?

7. What are some of the Pros and Cons specific to where you work, or specific to the corportate company you work under?

8. What advice would you give to someone just getting licensed, or thinking about getting their CPhT?

9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? What would you have done different? I promise this questions is not trying to get you to admit faults I am just trying to get some good insight into the field.

I know this is a questionaire related to your job. But, in the end I believe if people are willing to share their insight and experiences with each question. Us newbie CPhTs, or future CPhTs, would be very thankful for your comments and suggestions. Please feel free to add anthing else that you think would be helpful to new pharmacy technicians.

Thanks,

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy?
CVS

retail
since last July
love everything, especially learning about drugs
$6.30...$8.50
I have no idea what it's called, but it's easy to use....lot's of checks and balances to make sure everything is right
7. What are some of the Pros and Cons specific to where you work, or specific to the corportate company you work under?
not enough pay, but isn't that always the case..and the experience makes up for it
8. What advice would you give to someone just getting licensed, or thinking about getting their CPhT?
go ahead and do it
9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? What would you have done different? I promise this questions is trying to get you to admit faults I am just trying to get some good insight into the field.

good luck

Hi,

I am currently working towards my pharmacy technician license. I was wondering if some of you that are already working in this field could perhaps provide me some information about your job:D :

Corporate chain called Longs Drugs (found on the West coast only)

Retail

Been with the company since 1999, pharmacy since 2000, licensed 2001

I like helping customers who really need it (eldery, etc), and learning about meds, and interaction w/i the body, I really dislike insurances who don't care or want to help you (like Medi-cal....we're all trying to help the same person!!!), or simply don't understand what you're trying to explain to them. It is also frustrating when people fail to read their insurance info, and don't understand co-pays, deductibles, prior authorizations, etc and get mad at you.

12.00 -> 15.00

Don't know, but it's relatively easy to use.

My store is flexible with hours, so I can give them my schedule and work whatever hours I need to which has been a blessing with school. On the flipside, the DM regulates everything we do, I mean they want us to give everyone generic automatically even if we know they get brand. I work in a well to do area and a lot of people will pay the extra for brand, so obviously our generic count is lower, but the DM does not factor that in. They make these ridiculous policies, that I believe will eventually drive people away.

Do it!
9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? What would you have done different? I promise this questions is not trying to get you to admit faults I am just trying to get some good insight into the field.

I would probably work for the same company initially, since that is where I started, but I think I would've tried to get a job somewhere else later on (as I have contemplated that many times).

I know this is a questionaire related to your job. But, in the end I believe if people are willing to share their insight and experiences with each question. Us newbie CPhTs, or future CPhTs, would be very thankful for your comments and suggestions. Please feel free to add anthing else that you think would be helpful to new pharmacy technicians.

Hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

CVS

Retail

I started out working for Osco/Sav-On January 2004; it was bought out by CVS this past July (2007). I was licensed even before I started working at Osco (in Indiana).

I enjoy learning about the different kinds of medictions and how they work/what they do, I like looking at all the different pretty varieties of capsules, I enjoy helping nice customers.

I don't like mean customers (I don't think anyone does). I don't like how even though CVS has a "new" computer system, it still doesn't meet the needs of pharmacists/techs completely; I wonder, do they actually have or consult pharmacists/techs when designing these programs? I don't like having to deal with insurance companies for customers who believe it is my responsibility to have an in depth knowledge of their insurance plan.

Starting: $7.50 Currently: $12.00 (with move to las vegas)

Rx2000--could be a lot better. I have to admit that it is better than the circa 1986 computer systems used by Osco/Sav-On; however, there is much lacking in this program. I think it is a great program for small stores that do maybe 100 scripts per day and are much more able to keep track of their regulars; for our store that does around 350-400 (which isn't even that much!), it is much more difficult to do things efficiently.

Pros: flexible hours; relatively nice people to work with; very close to home.
Cons: getting raises is much more difficult with CVS compared to Sav-On.

I would get that license and especially CPhT right away. The license you pretty much have to get anyway (if you want to become an actual tech); you should get the CPhT as soon as possible too: if for some reason you want to change jobs, I would think it would make you more marketable to employers (in my opinion; don't know for sure because when I got my CPhT, I wasn't getting enough hours at my current job and was planning to go somewhere else; however, right after I got it, someone quit and I was able to pick up her hours).

When I moved out to Las Vegas, I probably would have tried applying to other companies instead of just transferring with the company I was working at. I may have got a better deal that way, but then again, the company that I work with has always been so good about working with me, that I don't know if I actually would have taken the chance if another place did call; I just think I probably should have at least tried and then see what would happen.

Other tips: I think, especially if you work in a busy store, that the first few weeks/months will be a nightmare--just stick with it, as it will get better and you will learn it eventually. The first couple months at my new job I would come home crying because I felt so incompetant and unable to do my job, but it got better. I also worked at a incredibly busy store and started during flu season, so it was quite a nightmare.

Try to get along well with the people you work with! It is so important to have a good working environment in the pharmacy--we already have to deal with difficult patients, it is so disappointing when there are also difficult co-workers!

Don't let the mean patients' comments get to you personally. There will always be those people, and you just have to deal with them and not take it personally.

Insurances are very difficult (at least I think so), you've just got to learn them and the best way is to work with them--when you get a card you don't know, don't give the job to someone else; sure, ask for help, but make sure that you are the one who is actually the main person working on the card. You can make copies of the cards with the pertinent information you'll need to identify it, that helps too.

1. I wrote for Rite Aid.

retail

Worked there a year and 1/2

I have pharmacists that like their job, always willing to help people.
the patients are usually nice, respectful, patient.
I've learned a lot about insurance companies, healthcare issues, and drugs
there will always be a rude customer here and there
telling random people where other things in the store are (yes, the cereals are in aisle 2), is really annoying.
the cycle of fill drug, count drug, check drug, bag drug, ring up drug...can tired you out.

NexGen. It's a good system. But requires a lot of steps and clicking. Near the end of the day, it gets really slow

Pay isn't great. The cons are written in 4.

Learn the calculations

9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? What would you have done different? Yes, I'd work here again. I'd ask for more pay... lol

Local chain

Retail

Only for a month... I'm the new girl, unlicensed and uncertified. :oops:

There's a lot of camaraderie where I work, the people are really great.
It's been very helpful in learning about the drugs (what they do, the brand/generic names, etc).
The pharmacists have been extremely helpful whenever I ask them questions!
Dislikes:
Running the register. Neither my forte nor my interest.

$8.00/hr.

Well, I'm in the same boat as you, pretty much. I'll probably try to get certified by this summer, but I don't think I can be licensed for awhile yet. Either way, 'go for it' seems to be fairly good advice about that. :)

1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy? HMO

2. Which job enviornment retail, hospital, mail order, etc. do you work in? Clinical

3. How long have you been there?2+ years How long until you got licensed?9 month program at a Community College

4. What are some of your likes and dislikes pertaining to the job?I like the skills that are needed to perform the job (not everyone can do it). The pay is good and I get to wear a white coat

5. What was your starting pay?15 What is it currently?$17+

8. What advice would you give to someone just getting licensed, or thinking about getting their CPhT? My motto in whatever you do is credentials..credentials...CREDENTIALS!! get em all

9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? Yes What would you have done different? Nothing I promise this questions is not trying to get you to admit faults I am just trying to get some good insight into the field.

1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy? I have worked for Walmart, Caremark and Aetna

Walmart was retail, Caremark was mail order, and Aetna was Medicare Part D coverage

I was at Walmart for 5 years, at Caremark for 14 months and Aetna for 3 months. I didn't get licensed but got certified in 2000.

With Walmart I liked everything except for rude customers. At Caremark, I liked the pay and the benefits that were offered but I hated being on the phone all day! At Aetna I liked learning about everything there is to know about Medicare Part D but I hated being on the phone all day.

At Walmart I started at $7/hr and ended at $12.50/hr. At Caremark I started at $14/hr and ended at $14.50/hr. At Aetna, I was salary and making $27,500/yr

At Walmart, we used Connexus, and I liked it because it was a lot better than the old system we had before.

The pros about working at Walmart was I loved working with my coworkers and the pharmacists were really nice and fun to work with. I just hated working for greedy Walmart, their benefits sucked. At Caremark, I liked that incentives were offered for working overtime. At Aetna, I loved working with my coworkers and my supervisor was the nicest and most understanding sups I have ever had. Plus, Aetna had great benefits.

Don't let the anger of customers, doctors, nurses, etc bother you. Just let it slide off your back and get the job done.

Honestly, I wouldn't change anything. Every job I have in pharmacy was a learning experience.

d
c
1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy? Target

2. Which job enviornment retail, hospital, mail order, etc. do you work in? Retail

3. How long have you been there? How long until you got licensed? A couple of months

4. What are some of your likes and dislikes pertaining to the job? Coworkers are nice, a lot of nice customers, good discounts...Dislikes are rude customers and we have no manager so we're pretty unorganized

$12.00

6. What computer system do you use? Do you like it or could it be better? PDX

7. What are some of the Pros and Cons specific to where you work, or specific to the corportate company you work under? A lot of useless stuff about the Target "ClearRx" system like colored rings, etc

8. What advice would you give to someone just getting licensed, or thinking about getting their CPhT? Focus on math for the PTCE

9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now?
Yes, but probably not the location...

1. Do you work for a corporate pharmacy Walgreens, CVS, etc. or a locally owned pharmacy? Rite Aid currently, Brunos before that

2. Which job enviornment retail, hospital, mail order, etc. do you work in? Retail

3. How long have you been there? How long until you got licensed? I have been with Rite Aid for 5 months (was with Brunos for 4 1/2years). I was licensed immediately after I was hired.

4. What are some of your likes and dislikes pertaining to the job? Honestly I love my job and the only real complaint is that it is hard to deal with customers at times. Even still it is becoming less of an issue to me.

5. What was your starting pay? What is it currently? Started at Rite Aid at $10/hr. It is still that much. (At Brunos it went from $6.50 to 8.75)

6. What computer system do you use? Do you like it or could it be better? NexGen. It is a little slow at times, but it really minimizes mistakes in my opinion. It uses bioscan so you have to check behind yourself and it is really helpful in identifying drugs (it even provides the most common dosages for each drug when you are entering that in). There are a lot of steps sometimes but its for the better.

7. What are some of the Pros and Cons specific to where you work, or specific to the corportate company you work under?Well so far at Rite Aid, I have been impressed with the way they operate. They take care of their employees, and those over us (pharmacy dm, regional vp for example) are really helpful. At least at my store, we are all really close and that is a great thing. Now Brunos, dont get me started. It was fun while it lasted, but it got to a point where the company treated us as just another department in the grocery store (if that makes sense?).

8. What advice would you give to someone just getting licensed, or thinking about getting their CPhT? Definitely go for your certification if you are in it for a long term career in pharmacy. It will take some studying, and there will be more CE requirements after you are certified, but it will increase your pay and make you more knowledgeable of your job.

9. Also if you were starting over again getting licensed, and know what you know now would you work for the same company you do now? What would you have done different? I promise this questions is not trying to get you to admit faults I am just trying to get some good insight into the field. Im not sure what kind of answer you are lloking for here, but I dont have regrets about anything. I have made mistakes and will continue to do so but I learn from them and that is what's important.

Wordsworth301, that is a high level of pay to start, good for you. Where do you live? Just trying to figure out if this pay is regional or uniform through out Target Corp. Do you mind if I asked you if you are lincensed as a CPhT? If not, do you know where your salary may jump to once you are licensed?

Thanks,

Mike

My salary wouldve been $10 if i wasnt certified and I live in Southern Cal