For all SDNers taking April 2003 MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by solid snake, Jul 13, 2002.

1. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member

What are you guys doing in terms of prep now? Studying? Or to early to stress on it now?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. exigente chica

I just got my books last week. The EK physics and some flash cards. I am sudying a little every nite, so I can get in the habit for the school year!
    I think the sooner the better, with my course load this semester, and yours..you should start as soon as possible. Do what you can with what you know. The verbal is the best to study now, since we haven taken the other classes!
    "The early bird catches the worm"

4. Street Philosopher

Wow studying for the April '03 test already! It's still very early, but it's not such a bad idea to start thinking about it. Scheduling your classes wisely is probably the best thing you can do for the test right now.

Might I suggest you stock up on MCAT materials in the meantime? Check my signature! :D

5. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I have to agree with Street Philosopher it is way to early to start studying. I have bought the EK books, and plan on reading the Wall Street Journal, NYT everyday starting in the fall. I will seriously begin studying in January along with TPR prep course.

6. solid snake

solid snake Senior Member

How many hours are you guys taking in the fall while studying for the MCAT?

7. JulianCrane

JulianCrane The Power of Intention

I bought the Princeton Review big book and do a chapter every week. Just reviewing gen chem and bio this summer.

8. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    I am not starting to study until January, so in the Fall I am taking 15 hours (Biochem w/lab, Genetics w/lab, Cell and Molec w/lab, and Technical Writing). In the Spring I will probably only take 12 hours at the most with two of those classes possibly a science class minus the labs.

9. jankanator

Medical Student
    Wow, I guess it would be a good idea to start thinking about MCAT studying . . . as of now I will be taking the April '03 MCAT along with p-chem . . . this is not what I wanted to do, but it's really the only option . . . who else thinks a mental breakdown is coming!?

10. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    I took three (4 credit hour) courses that spring semester when I was studying for the mcats. The Kaplan course is equivalent to 2 courses anyway (;)), so any more schoolwork and I couldn't have handled it too well. It's also a good time to take independent study courses....I made it so I didn't have to write those 40 pages (total) until right after the mcat. Ouch, what a semester!

11. meatloaf king

meatloaf king Member

Took 16c.h. of lab classes (O-ChemII, Analytic Chem., Physics II & Chemical Forensics) while I studied the Kaplan Materials on my own three months in advance of the test and worked 30 h. a week (gotta make rent.)
    Would I do it again?
    Would rather have thumb screws applied. - good thing I was happy with my scores.

12. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member

I have collected MCAT study materials - Kaplan and EK with the audio osmosis and the AAMC tests. I am doing verbal passages and Am brushing up on basic human biology. I am taking one class this summer and will be taking 3 in fall and 3 in winter. Unfortunately, I will also have to take 3 classes in spring 2003 to complete my prereqs! :(
    I am a non-trad student and have been out of school for quite some time now. I think I HAVE to start studying now to be on par with other students. Verbal soesn't seem to be my strong point either...
    But it is nice that this preparation keeps your brains busy and sharp - We'll need that in med school!

13. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

if u r studying for the APRIL 03 test now, u must be one of the most ANAL AND OBSSESSIVE person in the world!

I started studying for the april test maybe 4 weeks before the test date!

y stress urself out almost 9 whole months before?!! pathetic

14. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member

dr kevin40,
    In case you did not see my post properly - I am non-trad and have been out of school for a long time. I have not covered most of the topics on the MCAT. I have also not completed the prereqs. If I started studying 4 weeks before the test date, that would be a BIG mistake.
    Your case might have been a totally different one, and you cant compare it with other's cases. It is not pathetic, it is called Planning.

15. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

sorry eng to doc. my post was also not directed towards u in particular. in ur case, then perhaps it is wiser to study early. but there were a few others who said they were gonna start studying now, or in the fall?! i wasn't able to discern any special circumstances in their case

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.

Pre-Veterinary
    Maybe some people are more motivated/need more help than you did. Damn, get out of their business.

I think if you studying now and a little each week is a great idea. You can prolly memorize the Kaplan book by the time it's time to really start studying and you would be a lot better off. Kudos.

18. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

jalby

aiiite. i ain't gonna start **** cuz u gonna go to SC and i might be going there too in another yr. where did u go for underg?

19. Jalby

Pre-Veterinary
    So wait, your not going to start SC next year?? I thought you were going to be an MS I there.

20. exigente chica

Dr Kevin,
    I hope you got a great score on the MCAT..if not you don't have room to talk.

And yes, I DO happen to be one of those ANAL people who do things like that. Some people don't feel they are as prepared as others for the test or need more help than perfect people like you. I think it's good that we can see our weakness and work on it. The MCAT is a big deal and as a MSTP canidate, it's more important for me..they want >33.
    And, I will be taking my usual course load of 20 hours..so I think I may have a litte bit more time now, than later.

THANK-you!:D

21. Jalby

Pre-Veterinary
    Now that I know your not going to SC this year, **** off. You seem to have quite the inferiority complex going, especially since you named your name after you MCAT score. Good luck trying to compensate for whatever is missing.

22. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

exigente chic, well good luck w/ that. i don't see the point of studying that early but wahtever, if u r anal or need to do it then i guess go ahead. it just seems pointless to devote THAT much time (MONTHS OF PREP) to one single test.

jalby, i wasn't even aware that i had said anything to get u pissed off. whatever man. i don't rmemeber telling u my mcat score so how would u know what inamed my handle after

23. futrfysician

futrfysician Senior Member

play nicely. Its called tolerance and understanding. Sure one freak may (ooops, did I say freak?) feel that prepping for an exam for months is inappropriate, but there are plenty that are cruel and heartless and lack even basic interaction skills to get information from a bass. But whatever!! :)

Everyone be happy and play nicely!:)

And speaking from experience, if you feel that that is what you need to do, then do it. If you feel the need to do Kaplan or TPR to make a qualifying score (don't let anyone tell you there isn't one because virtually all schools have a cutoff) then do that as well.

Point is, you do what works for you, not what some ace with a 30 tells you.

24. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Engg to Docc why do you not wait to study until you have taken most of the pre-reqs? It will be pretty nasty trying to study for Organic for the MCAT w/o the class. Anyways good luck!

25. Engg to Doc

Engg to Doc Member

efex101,
    Here's my case: I have already taken Orgo, but I did it in a foreign country. I am taking it again, just to satisfy my 'prereq' requirement. I am hoping it will all come back, I used to be strong in orgo... But that was 6 years ago! If I can't handle it, I'll make a decision by Feb 2003 to postpone the MCAT as you suggested. Thanks for your concern.

26. efex101

efex101 attending
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    It will probably come back quicker than you think. Also is some foreign countries (I went to HS in Europe) the courses are much more rigorous than at some schools here, so you never know, maybe you know more than those of us who took Organic here...

27. Dr Kevin,

Dude. You took the MCAT twice after getting a 36 the first time....and you're calling these people neurotic/pathetic? You got some ballz.