Quantcast

For all the Canadians already in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi there,

Just wondering what solutions everyone else has found for converting their Canadian dollars to US dollars.

I've tried using my debt card in ATM's here, but I haven't been happy with the exchange rate. Today I used a Bank One ATM and the rate was just over 80 cents to the US dollar, meanwhile its trading it at 85.11 :mad:

Katalio

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

What not just get a credit card or a check card in the states? it's much more convenient.

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an account in the US, but I want to transfer money from from my canadian account to my US account to take advantage of the present exchange rate. The problem I've had in that ATM's here are screwing me.

Canadian26

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which bank do you deal with? You should be able to make transfers online with most banks as far as im aware. Maybe the best bet would be to physically go the bank and get them to do it for you. The problem ive had in the past with dealing directly with the bank, was that they place holds on the money for a given number of days which really sucks if you need that money right away.

SomeGuy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Royal Bank bought out a SE USA bank and is somewhat integrated with it. You won't be able to find any branches, but it might just be what you're looking for.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usbanking/rbc-access-usa.html

Your best bet might be to just call up a bunch of banks or visit their websites and see who gives the best rates.

Remember: You get a slightly favourable exchange when you exchange a money order or cheque rather than cash.

In my experience with Canadian banks, RBC consistently had the best rate for changing US$--->CAD$, possibly that's also true the other way around, not sure.

SomeGuy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Royal Bank bought out a SE USA bank and is somewhat integrated with it. You won't be able to find any branches, but it might just be what you're looking for.

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/usbanking/rbc-access-usa.html

Your best bet might be to just call up a bunch of banks or visit their websites and see who gives the best rates.

Remember: You get a slightly favourable exchange when you exchange a money order or cheque rather than cash.

In my experience with Canadian banks, RBC consistently had the best rate for changing US$--->CAD$, possibly that's also true the other way around, not sure.