For all those interested in applying to Waterloo

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UWSO2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a message from the VP of the Opt. Student Society. I'll be there giving tours of the clinic, so hope to see some people there!

"Pre-Optometry Night" behing held
Thursday January 17th, 2002 in Rm. 347 in the Optometry building. Anyone
interested in the Doctor of Optometry Program and the Graduate Studies
Program in Vision Science is more than welcome to attend.Optometry
Students, Graduate Students and Faculty will be present to answer your
questions and give tours of the school. Refreshments will also be served.
Details, including the time, will be sent in another email in the new
year. Don't forget to mark your calenders!

Sincerely,
Sophia Zaidi
UW Optometry Student Society
Vice-President"

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there

I was just wondering how hard it is toget into US OD schools for Canadians.

I am hoping to go to Waterloo but I only have a 3.7 GPA. Is this sufficient for the US?

Thanks very much

Hi Kidflip,

Thanks for the question. You're going to have to convert your GPA into a percentage mark in order for me to tell you how competitive your application will be.

Are you in the US right now? Or are you somewhere in Canada?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Freddie

My percentage GPA is 86%. I don't think I have a shot for waterloo as I would love to go there. I am currently in Toronto, (UofT) actually in my final year. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW Freddie, do you have salary figures for OD's in Canada ie Salaries for Associates, typical net incomes for private practice. Is there going to be an increased demand for OD's in the near future? I hear currently the market in Ontario is pretty saturated with OD's putting downward pressure on the salaries.

Thanks again for your response Freddie, I really appreciate your input and expertise on this board!

Go Leafs Go! :)

Additional question for ya!

Hey Freddie what time does the Optometry night start at Waterloo? I'm going to make the trek in! :cool:

Hey Kidflip,

PreOpt night starts at 7:00pm. The talks should last until about 8pm, and then you'll get some "refreshments" (don't get your hopes up though :) ), followed by some time to mingle (15 minutes), followed by some guided tours of the school, preclinic, clinic, grad student offices.

As far as your application goes. I'll be very honest with you when I say you stand a very good chance of getting into UW. This is assuming that your prereq average is in the same ballpark. But honestly, I have several friends that have been accepted into MD school in Ontario with averages slightly below yours.

Although UW is an excellent school, I would urge you to make sure that you have considered all your options. There are about 17-18 (? I'm not sure exactly) OD schools in the US. Each school has it's own personality and what it can offer students. While there are some obvious advantages to going to UW .... applying to US schools as a backup should be a consideration if you are a diehard wannabeOD. From what people in my class tell me, as long as you have an 80% from a Canadian Univeristy you are virtually guarenteed to get accepted into an OD school in the US. This being said, don't forget that the tuition is nearly 6-7x higher in the states!

Hope to see you Thursday (I'll be giving tours of the clinic). I'd be happy to answer any qestions you have on applying, getting in, UW etc.

I'm going to look over someone's application later this term .. .and would be happy to do the same for you if you want.

PS: Just in case, here are some quick directions on how to get to the school from Toronto (I'm from Scarborough)

Take 401 West (for about 40-50 minutes)

When you start seeing the highway markers indicating Kitchener/Waterloo is 17km's away, move over to the far right and exit at the upcoming exit. This will be highway 8 (Marked Kicthener/Waterloo/Cambridge).

Follow 8 (Kitchener/Waterloo) for about 5-10 minutes until you see signs for Highway 86 (Marked Waterloo). Go onto 86 Waterloo.

From here you have 2 options .... option 1 will bring you through the main UW campus, option 2 will lead you to the Opt building without going through campus (because the school is located north of the main campus).

OPTION1: From highway 86 exit at Univeristy Avenue West (This is the SECOND University Avenue Exit ... the first is for University EAST)

Follow University Avenue until you reach the University of Waterloo (on your right hand side). The entrance is just after a railroad crossing.

From there turn right (the main road runs in a circle .. so it's not easy to get lost :) ).

Follow "Ring Road" around campus until you reach the North end (where there's stop signs). Turn right.

Continue through the intersection (you'll now be leaving South Campus and be headed towards North Campus) and at the stop sign turn right.

You'll see the parking lot by now (costs $1). Now just make your way to the front of the building directly oppsite where you car is facing).

OPTION2: Take Highway 86 and exit at King Street.

Go south on King Street until Columbia (there's a McDonald's on the south-west corner). Turn Right onto Columbia.

Follow columbia for 5-10 minutes and the school will be on your right hand side right after a set of railroad tracks. Park in the first lot on your right ($2 dollars) and you'll see the main clinic entrance.

Thanks Freddie

I appreciate the help and thanks for the directions. I'll see you there! :p

Thanks Freddie

I appreciate the help and thanks for the directions. I'll see you there! :p