For all those who've recently taken an MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HotDoc212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, for those of you who are retaking the MCAT I was wondering if you could share anything that you felt was different on the actual AAMC vs the practice tests. For example, I'm hearing the new ones are getting calculation heavy in PS. Anything else that you guys think shocked you or anything that you're doing differently in your approach this time?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the MCAT for the first time on December 6th. Notes:

1. As you mentioned, the Physical Sciences did seem heavier on arithmetic and algebra, I will agree with that. PS was my worst time crunch, which was also the case on practice exams. Here are tips: Look at the answer choices before beginning the number crunching. If the answers are spread far apart, then round like crazy to make the math go faster. However, sometimes the answers are not spread so far apart, so this is not universally applicable. Second, save the very slow questions for last. I am fairly certain that all questions are worth an equal amount (except for trial questions which are worth zero), so you should knock off the 30 second questions and come back to the 3 or 4 minute questions.

2. The real MCAT is much more anxiety provoking than the practice exams. On the upside, this means you will not get bored or tired (if you are like me). On the downside, this means you need to practice your deep breathing, muscle relaxation, and mental fortitude. The real MCAT is stressful in so many ways I didn't expect: They pat you down, they make you empty your pockets, you have no water bottle, stuff like that. It is quite reminiscent of being in prison.

3. There is no Trial Section in January, you will not have a Trial Section. The computer will allude to its existence, but then it just won't be there. This is normal (for December and January).

Sorry jumping in on this - what are you allowed to do during break sessions? Can you eat or drink during them?

Sorry jumping in on this - what are you allowed to do during break sessions? Can you eat or drink during them?

So when you go on break and you sign out, you can go to your locker to eat/drink anything, and you can go to the bathroom. I think the only condition at my test center was that you couldn't leave the building. Then when you come back you get scanned by the metal detector, sign in, and have your fingerprint taken.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, for those of you who are retaking the MCAT I was wondering if you could share anything that you felt was different on the actual AAMC vs the practice tests. For example, I'm hearing the new ones are getting calculation heavy in PS. Anything else that you guys think shocked you or anything that you're doing differently in your approach this time?
I cannot stress enough that MCAT is the same critical thinking exam that the AAMC exams are. What's a bit different is obviously different content on exam day. The only significant change has been in BS and AAMC 10/11 are testament to that (compare them to earlier AAMC exams).

Also, PS sections could be different depending on test day. Don't fall into a trap thinking you can ONLY expect a calc-heavy section. You might get a conceptual-heavy PS on your exam. Prepare as you are for the AAMCs, go through every topic on the AAMC content outlines, practice all the relevant questions and address your weaknesses (most importantly).

Don't let this testing period psych you out. Admittedly you might be taking the last of the current MCAT but its the same exam that was administered to people earlier this year, last year, the year before that, etc etc. Be confident in your abilities and studies and I wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. My test is scheduled for Jan 23rd, and I just wondering what order you would take AAMC 8, 9, 10, and 11. I've taken the ones before but I want to space out the rest. Any ideas?