For all those with no acceptances...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCAT Score (only for those with no acceptance)

• <30

Votes: 14 28.6%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 5 10.2%

Votes: 4 8.2%

Votes: 6 12.2%

Votes: 3 6.1%

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 2 4.1%

Votes: 1 2.0%

• 40+

Votes: 6 12.2%

• Total voters

Heimerfink

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's your MCAT score? I'm just wondering if this will make me feel better or worse.

Members don't see this ad.

Heimerfink said:
What's your MCAT score? I'm just wondering if this will make me feel better or worse.

Having no acceptances is not simply based on your MCAT score. There are plenty of other fields of your sucktitude that adcoms can choose from, GPA, ECs, PS, LORs, secondary photos, secondary essays, interview skills, mood of the interviewer, time of day of the interview, lazy eyes...etc. etc.

I object-- I don't think the less than 30 option is fair.... a 28 or 29 is a HUGE difference from a 20 or even 25!! You can't just lump us all together like that...

Plus, as Rayhan stated, it's hard to conclude ppl have no acceptances due to a low-30's or sub-30 MCAT score when the national average for matriculants is ~30. It could be related to GPA, timing, crappy interviews, A LOT of things!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the standard deviation for the MCAT average of matriculants?

ReDox said:
Does anyone know the standard deviation for the MCAT average of matriculants?

I don't have my MSAR on hand, but I'd wager probably +/- 2

I wasn't trying to imply that the ADCOMs admit based on MCAT score alone. Obviously they don't since this poll isn't filled with sub-30's. I was just curious to see how this would pan out - like if someone who got close to a 40 wasn't accepted.

Heimerfink said:
I wasn't trying to imply that the ADCOMs admit based on MCAT score alone. Obviously they don't since this poll isn't filled with sub-30's. I was just curious to see how this would pan out - like if someone who got close to a 40 wasn't accepted.
Yes, people with MCAT scores over 40 can be rejected if that's all they have to offer. You want to work on being as well-rounded as possible in lieu of being extremely good in one single area (ex. MCAT score) and sub-par in the other areas (UG GPA, meaningful ECs, strong LORs, well-written essays, good interview skills, etc.)

strawberryfield said:
I don't have my MSAR on hand, but I'd wager probably +/- 2
you know its funny, I got all the way through the cycle this year and I have never even looked at an MSAR

Well, it looks like some people already voted dishonestly.

Mister Pie said:
Well, it looks like some people already voted dishonestly.

yeeeeaaahhhh I noticed the 4 ppl with 40+ MCAT... riiiigggghhhhtttt

strawberryfield said:
yeeeeaaahhhh I noticed the 4 ppl with 40+ MCAT... riiiigggghhhhtttt

There are lots of reasons why someone with 40+ might not get in... bad social skills, bad letters of rec, no clinical experience, the committee might be 100% blind to stats and chose the people they liked the best. Here is a guy from my home state that didn't get in with a 40+ (but at OHSU, I 100% believe it):
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4545

jillibean said:
There are lots of reasons why someone with 40+ might not get in... bad social skills, bad letters of rec, no clinical experience, the committee might be 100% blind to stats and chose the people they liked the best. Here is a guy from my home state that didn't get in with a 40+ (but at OHSU, I 100% believe it):
http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=4545

Oh, It's not that I wouldn't believe that someone who got a 40+ would get rejected, because I would believe that! What I DON'T believe is that there were 4 people HERE on the pre-allo SDN forum today that got 40+ since 11 am and didn't get in! 40+ is something like 99th percentile.... I'm saying the POLL is skewed because people are not being truthful... ;)