SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

For all you veterans

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by GATORade, Apr 25, 2002.

1. GATORade

GATORade Retired 7+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2001
    All right, now that a majority of you guys can consider yourselves vets in the application process, how about some critical dos and don'ts. There must be some things you would have done differently if you knew what you know now. Any suggestions?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cambrian

Cambrian Colonel/Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2001
    La Jolla
    This is not comprehensive but something on the top of my head:

-get your stuff in early (application, letters of rec, essay, etc).
    -carefully and thoroughly write and rewrite your personal statement. I cannot stress how important this essay is, especially with schools whose secondaries are just contact questions and request for money.
    -let someone edit or proofread your personal statement. But don't let them make drastic changes to the content, especially if it concerns personal matters. Only you can know yourself best.
    -write a letter of intent to a school that you kow you will definitely go if you are accepted.
    -apply to schools that are "out of your league". Considering how random this process is, you'll never know.
    -Make sure that everything on your online AMCAS application is accurate.
    -Make sure AMCAS submits your application properly.
    -if you can, make your secondary responses more personal.

-turn in anything late.
    -hassle the admissions office people. They have a lot of power
    -list things that you are already present on your primary application in your secondaries.
    -let your college premed counselor take control of your application. As in my case, my counselors don't know diddly squat what they are talking about.
  4. johnM

johnM Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    DO read
    <a href=";f=1;t=010171" target="_blank">The new revised official guide to applying to medical school </a>
  5. Aeromonas

Aeromonas Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2001
    Start filling out AMCAS as soon as you can and submit it early b/c last year it took them three months to process mine. Also, start you personal statement now and make sure it's honest and original.
  6. poindexter

poindexter Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    Know where the schools you are applying to are located. This sounds silly, I know, but sometimes medical schools are in completely different locations than their undergraduate campuses (ie Northwestern and Cornell). This detail can easily be overlooked and could potentially make a difference depending on your location preference (ie liking Evanston or Ithaca but not feeling comfortable in Chicago or NYC). Could mean wasted $$$.
  7. GATC

GATC Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I agree with cambrian all the way. Your personal essay, I think, is foremost in the application. Everyone has numbers, but this gives insight into your personality and intentions. Also, like my friend here touched on, don't lean on the premed advisors. The ones at my school don't know crap and all they do is discourage.
    Good luck