For any former screw-ups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaggieD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping somebody who was accepted with a checkered past could enlighten me a little. 6 years ago I graduated high school and went to a community college. I had no maturity or motivation. I failed almost every class and was academically dismissesd. So I joined the Army for 4 years. This proved to be the kick in the @ss I needed. Now that I'm discharged, I'm back in undergrad, doing really well. Cum GPA a year since re-entering college is 3.85.
BUT, I was wondering how in the world my app is even going to get looked at. I just did some math and made an Excel spreadsheet that listed all my grades. Right now I have a 2.14 cum GPA. This is despite the fact that for the last 2 semesters I've had 3.91 and 3.94 term GPA...that tells you how bad my community college record was back in 1996. And it's mathematically impossible for me to bring it up over 3.0 during undergrad. Now, I know some schools will see my reformation, but I can't help wondering if they are just going to junk my app automatically without looking at the trend. Did you have to apply to a huge number of schools? Am i strictly limited to DO schools? It's funny, my current academics (all my pre-med reqs) are stellar - I don't have any problems with school now. It's just my past that continues to screw me. Has anyone else ever gone through this?
Anyway, sometimes I despair and think that its hopeless. I would really appreciate it if you could give me your take on it.
Thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is definitely possible for you to overcome your initial educational experiences. It will take a lot of work, but it sounds like you are on the right track. I would go ahead and start a dialogue with the schools you are interested in. Go meet with the admissions rep.'s. It will be good to make them familiar with your goals and work ethic. They can also give you advice about what the adms. comm. will want to see from you.

I would not get discouraged. There are plenty of doctors who took a longer route to medical school...With your current accomplishments, I think an acceptance is within your reach. Just make sure you start talking to schools early in the process. Putting a face and story with a name never hurts.

Casey

MaggieD, you've got mail... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, Maggie, no need to fret. My story is much the same as yours....went to undergrad as a Business major and barely managed to obtain a degree with a sub-2.4 gpa. Worked a few years and decided I really hated working in the business world. Went back to school, kicked arse, took names, but managed to pull my gpa up to only around a 2.71 at the time of application to med school.....applied to 24 schools, got 9 interviews, and multiple acceptances. You are not a slave to your past. Forget it and move on. Do your best and apply to an adequate number of schools when the time comes. Those that can't see you are more than capable despite a less than perfect past are those you need not be worried about. Those that see you as a human, imperfect in many ways but still capable, are the ones you are looking for. Just continue to show how capable you are and everything will be just as you want.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mongoose:
•Hey, Maggie, no need to fret. My story is much the same as yours....went to undergrad as a Business major and barely managed to obtain a degree with a sub-2.4 gpa. Worked a few years and decided I really hated working in the business world. Went back to school, kicked arse, took names, but managed to pull my gpa up to only around a 2.71 at the time of application to med school.....applied to 24 schools, got 9 interviews, and multiple acceptances. You are not a slave to your past. Forget it and move on. Do your best and apply to an adequate number of schools when the time comes. Those that can't see you are more than capable despite a less than perfect past are those you need not be worried about. Those that see you as a human, imperfect in many ways but still capable, are the ones you are looking for. Just continue to show how capable you are and everything will be just as you want.•••••Just curious, what was your MCAT score?

They look at more than just your cum.GPA. On the AMCAS application you post your BCMP and non-science gpa's for freshman through senior year. So, they will be able to see an alarmingly positive trend. IF you write a personal statement that discusses your inability to shape your contributions to society during your first attempt at college, whatever happened to you in the ARMY that led you to crystallize your goals, and how differently you approach academia and as a result have excellent grades, etc...-they will be able to have many of their questions answered prior to considering you for an interview.

I had a similar story. I didn't fail anything, but I had a mile long road of C's mixed with the occassional B for two years. (2.54pga) I dropped out, did my thing, reentered and kicked ass. I was really nervous and not quite sure how things would go. Would they see my cumm.GPA and reject me off the bat? Would they really read my PS and take my 'individual story' into consideration? etc...Things worked out pretty well. I really worked on my PS a lot and made sure that whatever red flag raised would be answered in a reassurring way. I had pretty good mcat, but nothing to feel completely at ease about (9/12/11/R)..especially when applying to the UCs.

I applied to 11 schools and was ultimately accepted to 4 (2 were transitions of waitlists and 2 were outright acceptances). I received 6 interview invites and attended 5. 5 schools rejected me preinterview.

I think that if you put the time into your PS (wihtout harping on those years of Fs), do well on the mcat, and get some letters of rec that comment on your perserverance and your personal traits that make you stand out..you will be fine.

Best of luck.

I belive if you have not reached a certain amount of credits, you can talk to your current school to dismiss your old transcript/record.Not 100 % on this but you may not have to show old records if you dont transfer previous credits.
good luck

Hey, Mongoose,

Just curious what else you had on your record that got you multiple offers with a 2.71 GPA?

I must have one of the most circuitous paths to be a doctor than most.

High school, 1979, 1.89. Serious messing around at a JC with a 2.1 after 3 intermittent years. 3 years later went back to the JC, got my act together and transferred with a 3.0 to UCLA. 3 years at UCLA finishing with a 3.2. 3 years later returned to the JC, did the pre-med requirements, 3.2 GPA. Podiatry school, 4 years with a 3.52. Now, hopefully, medical school

So I went from a 1.89 GPA in high school in 1979 to a 3.52 GPA in podiatry school in 1998.

But, the real question remains....do I REALLY want to take anatomy AGAIN!!!!