For Any NYCOM student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josephmedman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Xx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can some NYCOM student at least tell me what Anatomy guide to use for this upcoming fall anatomy course. 54 views and not a word from anyone? really?

You're worried about fall 2010 anatomy now?? Relax bro. Stay away from the material and try to enjoy yourself while you still can. In terms of anatomy notes, I can't help you. However, I can point you in the direction of the resources we used and give you advice about how to use them.

1. An atlas - IMO the Theime atlases are the best to look at. I also love Netter, but it is difficult to study from. When you actually get into the labs, you'll see that a lot of people like to use atlases with actual pictures of cadaver dissections. There is one out there that is excellent but I can't remember who publishes it.

2. A text - NYCOM has recently made Gray's anatomy text the required reading. It is a good book and most of the lecturers use pictures from it, however IMO it is still inferior to Clinically Oriented Anatomy. Buy one and read the whole thing as you go. Don't slack off in this respect.

3. A dissector - Grant's

4. Lectures

Unfortunatley, regardless of the books you read or atlases you look at, nothing substitutes for practice. Spend as much time in the lab as you can. Good luck and don't worry about Gross. It's a HUGE subject, but it's segmented in such a way that learning individual regions of the body will help you understand it as a whole.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these:

1. Yokochi's atlas
2. Clinically oriented anatomy text
3. The vids - either the wisconsin u or michigan u anatomy dissection videos (google anatomy videos)

Grant's dissector for when you actually start dissection - review it prior to each lab.

As stated above, there is no substitution for actual lab, but these should prepare you well so you have some idea of what you're looking at and the clinical relevance and functional importance of structures.

Why does an attending need anatomy notes?

He/she was probably just hired by NYCOM to teach anatomy next fall, just need to learn it first.

heh. well if they were hired they'd have access to nycom's online resources so they could just look it up themselves... but i'd be more than happy to look it up for them for the right price. :p i didn't know nycom anatomy notes were such a hot comodity. i guess i retract my advice now, I thought it was an incoming student asking.

He/she was probably just hired by NYCOM to teach anatomy next fall, just need to learn it first.

Yeah I thought that at first too. But don't you think that the school or the department would give him a copy of the curriculum with each lecture objectives and give him copies of old lecture notes?

He's probably an incoming med student who was screwing around with his status or whatever.

Which is better...Gray's Anatomy or the Clinically Oriented Anatomy text?

I already have Rohen's and Netter's anatomy atlases. I was planning on doing some reading up on anatomy before I start next Fall (I deferred my 2010 admission).

Which is better...Gray's Anatomy or the Clinically Oriented Anatomy text?

I already have Rohen's and Netter's anatomy atlases. I was planning on doing some reading up on anatomy before I start next Fall (I deferred my 2010 admission).

None. Don't read up before you start.

Mind me asking why?

You won't retain much of it and whatever you do retain will end up becoming an insignificant amount compared to the volume of material you will be bombarded with.

Plus, your next 2 years are pretty much filled with constant learning and memorization day in and out. Enjoy all of the free time you have now.

You won't retain much of it and whatever you do retain will end up becoming an insignificant amount compared to the volume of material you will be bombarded with.

Plus, your next 2 years are pretty much filled with constant learning and memorization day in and out. Enjoy all of the free time you have now.

And you have no idea WHAT to focus on or what will be important once you start - you're gonna end up memorizing a bunch of pointless stuff (at least pointless in the grand scheme of things).

Just enjoy whatever freedom you have left! You'll end up getting burnt out early, and your life officially ends on that first day of class.

Mind me asking why?

Look, if you're just itching to read up on stuff...do biochemistry. At least with that subject you stand a chance of retaining something before class starts, and most people find biochem to be a real handful first year. Frankly, gross anatomy is taught in a fashion that is way too abstract to get much out of trying to study it at this point. You really need to have a cadaver in front of you to efficiently study anatomy IMHO.

And while we're at it, I think any version of Gray's Anatomy generally sucks as a text. Thieme tends to be a lot better than Netter's for limb anatomy and general musculoskeletal stuff, but Netter's has the edge for visceral anatomy. I personally never used Rohen's, but I wish I had in retrospect.

Look, if you're just itching to read up on stuff...do biochemistry. At least with that subject you stand a chance of retaining something before class starts, and most people find biochem to be a real handful first year. Frankly, gross anatomy is taught in a fashion that is way too abstract to get much out of trying to study it at this point. You really need to have a cadaver in front of you to efficiently study anatomy IMHO.

And while we're at it, I think any version of Gray's Anatomy generally sucks as a text. Thieme tends to be a lot better than Netter's for limb anatomy and general musculoskeletal stuff, but Netter's has the edge for visceral anatomy. I personally never used Rohen's, but I wish I had in retrospect.

Gray's anatomy for Students is useless for gross anatomy/lab - I do however find it extremely helpful when studying for the anatomy LECTURE exams.

I also HATE Thieme - each anatomy group got a free copy for use in the lab, and I find it to be utterly worthless compared to Netter's and Rohen, which I swear by. And those Netter's flash cards are like a godsend for me!