For anyone that has taken NBMEs + UWSAs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack.jaret

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning out my final 3 weeks of studying. I like the NBMEs because they show me exactly where I stand. I don't like them because they give no explanations like UWSAs do.

For those of you that have taken UWSA 2 (the one I have left) and one of the higher NBMEs (preferably 16, 17, or 18), would you mind telling me the difference between your UWSA 2 and NBME scores? Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning out my final 3 weeks of studying. I like the NBMEs because they show me exactly where I stand. I don't like them because they give no explanations like UWSAs do.

For those of you that have taken UWSA 2 (the one I have left) and one of the higher NBMEs (preferably 16, 17, or 18), would you mind telling me the difference between your UWSA 2 and NBME scores? Thank you very much.

For me, UWSA 2 > NBME 17 (by 2 points) > NBME 16 (by 6 points) > NBME 18 (by 11 points)

My UWSA2 score 2 days prior to taking NBME 16 was 2 points lower

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha I wish that was the case. 16 --> 18 --> UWSA2 --> 17

I did the same order, and my scores were:
  • (5/6) NBME 16 = 234
  • (5/26) NBME 18 = 241
  • (6/2) UWSA-2 = 251
  • (6/6) NBME 17 = 256
I also took UWSA-1 on 5/20 and scored 251.

Okay thanks. So it looks like UWSA is a pretty good predictor now?

It's impossible to say until after July 13th, when official Step 1 scores release.
If I had to guess (complete speculation) I'd say that UWSA-2 is a better predictor than UWSA-1 because of the steeper curve with UWSA-2, but previously both UWSAs used to overpredict.