for anyone who has interviewed or will interview at yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osler Penfield

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how long it took from the time your yale online status check said that ur app. was complete and in review until u got notification that u were invited to an interview.
thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it was about 2 weeks... but keep in mind that I applied MD/PhD so the timetable might be a little different.

Members don't see this ad :)
To all SDNers who applied to Yale:

Can you guys please pretty please post stats and EC's if you got the interview from Yale? I want to know if it is worth it for me to even dream about applying to Yale? Thanx a bunch! :)

Snudge

By the way, it is my number one choice if you haven't noticed. :D

I assume from the responses to this post that there haven't been many interviews at Yale thus far for SNDers. It is also my number one choice. I think they are really running behind this year. I guess we just have to be patient. :(

to those whose first choice is yale: may i ask WHY yale? What makes it your first choice? Please share your interests in yale. tia

I'm interviewing at Yale on the 28th. I was pretty surprised to get an interview there, since my GPA is only average; I have a 3.6 overall. I did well on the MCAT though (37-39Q), so that helped some too, I suppose. I have a fair amount of ECs, but nothing extrodinary. The usual research (no publications), clinical experience (I translate at a local clinic), volunteerism (tutoring, etc.). I'm part hispanic, which I did note on my Yale secondary, so if they chose to count me as a URM, that probably helped some too. I've been active in the hispanic community at my university, and have spent quite a lot of time in Mexico, nearly a year between high school and college and last summer I got a grant from the Hewlett foundation to design and implement a project in early childhood literacy at an orphanage on the Baja. I suppose if there was one thing on my application that would stand out, that would probably be it.

I honestly don't know if I count as a URM, so I just tried to answer Yale's ethnicity questions as honestly as I could. Anyone know about this?

Anyway, good luck to all those who are dreaming about Yale. I'm with you on that one, although I'm trying to get over my bitterness about their rejecting me for undergrad. :)

Hi there. :)

I interviewed at Yale on October 17th. The time between the completion of my file and my receipt of the invitation was actually pretty quick, about two weeks...but I would not say that my own personal experience reflects the standard trend at Yale, I believe I was just fortunate. In fact, at the interview, Dean Silverman described the tremendous difficulty that Yale has had in organizing the heaps of disordered paperwork that AMCAS is sending to them dribble by dribble.

The interview experience was definitely one of the best I've had, especially in terms of the student body. . . the support and enthusiasm that students demonstrated toward their school was incomparable. Really amazing! :)

My background, if it helps:
Biochem major, English minor at Barnard
College
GPA: 3.94 overall, 3.93 science
MCAT: 11, 8, 11 S
I think that my mediocre MCAT score in conjunction with the interviews that I've had offers some encouragement that it's NOT only about numbers! Although my GPA counterbalances my MCAT somewhat, I really think that my extracurrics and involvement are what have caught the adcoms' eye. Serving the community has always been a high priority of mine, so I tend to be pretty active...with the exception of questions regarding my favorite subjects or my thesis research, during my interviews the majority of the conversation has centered on what I do and have done with my time.

So take heart everyone, you'll get there! Please let me know if anything turns up with Yale...I'll be wishing the best for you! :)

Morninglight, what other interviews did you have? I have very similar stats as you...same MCAT score (and same distribution too ) and 3.99 GPA from a top university in Biochem and Art History. Also interesting ECs such as extensive clinical work in Third World countries. Since Yale is my top choice, I was vey worried that my MCAT was too low for them. Your having gotten an interview there gives me hope. What other schools offered u an interview?

Hi Osler,

As I said before, I've been really fortunate....I was just praying for an interview at my state school!

I've been invited for interviews at the following schools (in addition to Yale):

Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Einstein
UConn

I'm still waiting to hear from Mt. Sinai, Harvard, UPenn, and Hopkins. I was granted interviews at GW and MCP Hahnemann, but I withdrew my application from these and other schools when I was accepted to UConn.

I hope that this helps. Just go ahead and apply to as many schools as interest you. I really do believe that they look at how well-balanced your application is, and that if you've been involved and have obviously genuine motivations to enter the field, they'll take an interest in you. I certainly wasn't expecting anythign special myself, and I only still applied to the Ivies b/c I"d designated them before I received my MCAT score...and was having too much trouble with the AMCAS site to take them off! :D So keep your chin up and give it a shot!

Very best of luck to you!

:)

I am sure more than two SDNers got Yale interviews. Come out and tell me who you are. Or else, I will hunt you down. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
My SDN buddy, Mackie, got one! :)

I wish I got one - they're my first choice :(

i had my supplementary done by beginning of august, and received an interview invite on september 29, and i interviewed there on october 26. it is an amazing school - keeping my fingers crossed :)

I had my supplementary done late september and received an email on nov 11. I will be interviewing on the 28th. Hope that helps.

ps-- mcat not highly above average. undergrad at duke (gpa 3.6).

If you guys don't mind, please post your stats. Otherwise, I will go through every single post of yours in order to find your stats in my futile attempt to get a sense of how difficult it really is to get an interview (just an interview) from Yale. Help me out!!! :)

Sommer, congrats and good luck on your interview.

Bonbon,
I got your private message. Holy shi*!!! With your stats from such a nice undergrad, I don't think you need to keep your fingers crossed. Anyways, GooD LucK! :D :D :D

Snudge: one of the theories we were throwing around in a different thread was that schools interview the best stats early on and lower their standards to their average numbers and to fill in the last seats they dip to numbers below their average at the end of the interview season.

Just hang in there, hopefully we'll both be getting our Yale invites in the early spring ;)

USeF: I am not applying this year, but thanx for the encouragement b/c I will need it come time to apply. Everybody is so nice sending me private messages with their stats, but seriously, you guys have so much better stats than I could ever have. I am kinda discouraged. :( Hope you get an interview from Yale soon and keep me updated. :D

My application was completed there on 10/12, and I got an invite on 11/10. I'm totally psyched to check it out but am a little wary about the curriculum. I really want to go there to meet some students and understand how their system works.

I had e-mailed them that I would be in town in mid-November (coming from Cali) so that may have sped things up. Of course, I got the e-mail the day that I was returning home. One more plane ticket, but at this point, who's counting besides Visa? Hope you hear from them soon!

I'm another one that interviewed at Yale, and I'm still trying to sort out how I felt about it, I guess. The students were definitely happy and definitely unique. What I'm not sure about is whether or not they felt like they were becoming really good doctors or just really enjoying medical school. My interviewers were awesome, as was my whole day there, but I wish I'd gotten more of a feel for the school--it's such a unique place that it takes more than a day to figure it out,I guess. By the way, stats people :), personal message me if you want to know, but I am in contrast to most others who get interviews there, it seems, in that my #s are good but my extracurrics not so strong or particularly "unique" (traditional applicant, young, etc). But I guess, if everybody had been a chef in Afghanistan, that wouldn't be so unique either. :) OK, I'm being weird now.

SnudgeMuffin -- you may or may not want to hear this, but stop driving yourself crazy about the stats. Apply, and hope for the best, because after a certain point, it really is a crapshoot -- you may have the prerequisite numbers, but maybe one reader will love your essays, and another won't. There's just a lot of intangibles you can't control, right down to your fellow applicant pool (what might look impressive one year may not be impressive the following year. If Yale truly is your top choice, make sure they know that. Put it in your secondary. If you don't get an interview by January, email the Dean, send him a letter, whatever. At that point, you will have done all you can do, and just have to trust in faith, god, buddha, whatever.

Thanks for the advice, Lilycat. But I guess I am worried that I don't even have the prerequisite numbers. If I get in, it would be a miracle. :D

Despite Yale's attempt at creating its own "image" on its brochsure, it is as heavily number-based as other top 10 schools if not more. And premeds don't shed their personality once they get to Yale.

This is at least the experience I see from my friends who have applied and got accepted/rejected to Yale in the last two years. Don't quickly put Yale as your number 1 choice yet (actually it is always bad to get too attached to one single school because SERIOUSLY interview is very far off from an acceptance at this point).