For August Retakers who haven't sent in AAMCAS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chemgirl27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
For all you August retakers who haven't sent in your AAMCAS application, when are you planning on sending it? Is there a deadline? I'm planning to give it in this week, but I was just wondering if there is a certain date it should be in by, even thought the adcoms are only going to be reviewing our applications once the August MCAT score comes in. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

hahah this thread is made just for me. i dont' think there's a specific time. but i wanna send mine in this weekend or the first week in august just so ibeat all non-SDNers b/c either way its not like i'll be getting interviews or many secondaries til my score comesin october

I'm submitting TMDSAS next week. I have to wait to get my FAP approved before I submit AMCAS, so I'm looking at the first week of August for that.

what exactly is the deal with submitting an AMCAS application if you have a low score? Do medical schools automatically reject you even if you state that you will be taking the August MCAT? Because once you get rejected, they wont consider you until the next cycle i assume. This is why I am putting off submitting my AMCAS application until after i receive my August scores. Is this a bad idea? Does anyone know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad :)
The AMCAS FAQ section is really non-specific on what their deadline is. It says the AMCAS Deadline is the date when you have to pay the application fee, yet it didn't say what day that was. It really pissed me off. I still don't know what the date is. I'm just now figuring out it's taking people a month to get AMCAS "verified" so I guess I'll have to complete everything within the next month. All I have to do is write my PS, which I think will be easy. My school sent my transcript on Tuesday, but it hasn't been received yet per my AMCAS info.

You're right, I do not think any deadline is specified. However, individual Med schools do speciify their last application date. Neverthless, my question is still regarding whether it would be a good idea submitting the AMCAS application now even though my score is not competitive at all. Would I risk getting rejected?

ihatethemcat said:
You're right, I do not think any deadline is specified. However, individual Med schools do speciify their last application date. Neverthless, my question is still regarding whether it would be a good idea submitting the AMCAS application now even though my score is not competitive at all. Would I risk getting rejected?

I think if you marked "I plan on taking the August MCAT," the schools won't dismiss your application based on your previous MCAT score. They may have you do a few secondaries and wait til late October when they get the scores to offer an interview or not.

If anyone knows when the deadline to pay the AMCAS fee, let me know!!! I can't find crap on that site! I only know the school deadlines, which AAMC clearly stated in FAQ is NOT the AMCAS deadline.

ihatethemcat said:

i hear that most schools will just hold onto your app if you marked the "taking august MCAT" box. some may look at it, but i doubt any will flat out reject you because of your first score because they know you have another one coming. but if you are going to submit now, make sure you check the august mcat box. if you are going to be applying no matter what your august score is, it wouldn't be a bad thing to submit the AMCAS now. you can even just put 1 or 2 schools on the list (ones that you would apply to regardless of the score) and then add more schools after the test if you felt good about it or after your scores come out. good luck!!

Thanks,

I actually recieved an email from UT Medical (tennessee) and they said that they would not reject the application, as long as you mark the August MCAT slot. I am still awaiting emails from a few other med schools. I also heard that some schools take the average of your MCAT scores, but so far I cant find any. If that was the case, I'd have to start thinking about plan B: shooting myself.