for cali residents who've been accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for those of you Cali residents who have been accepted, what schools do you think would be good choices for those of us who are cali residents and are applying now?

Members don't see this ad.

all of them.

now go kick *ss and take names.

a few schools that have a reputation for picking cali residents: nymc, drexel, vcu/mcv, finch, penn state, temple, and gw. i know there's more, but these are the ones i can think of at the top of my head. my advice, if applying from cali, apply to a crap load of schools, i did 45, yeah, i know that sounds outrageous. its cuz our own state schools are super super difficult to get into. gluck.

Members don't see this ad :)
New to this. So I understand why CA schools are difficult to get into (overwhelming # of applicants) but any other reason why we have to apply to as many as 45 schools? Shouldn't it be like 6 (for the UC med schools) on top of the average of 15-20?

Thanks.

:scared:

medworm said:
New to this. So I understand why CA schools are difficult to get into (overwhelming # of applicants) but any other reason why we have to apply to as many as 45 schools? Shouldn't it be like 6 (for the UC med schools) on top of the average of 15-20?

Thanks.

It's because you won't have any advantages at any of the other schools to which you apply. Most people can apply to a couple state schools that they know they have a great chance of getting into, so they can just apply to the schools they are really interested in. Now, 45 is probably overkill, but I would say 20-30 depending on your scores.

Add MCW, Albany, SLU, Creighton.

medworm said:

Thanks.

Because you are still competing against fellow applicants from CA at everyone of those schools, I think.

I didn't recommend the four Ohio schools (in another thread)without good reasons. In general, they are all good schools and (I believe that) matriculants pay out of state fee only for their first year. Good luck

For the class of 2006, Medical College of Ohio at Toledo accepted 12 applicants from CA. Cinci did so for 11. The MSAR didn't give those info directly. I had to read between the lines. I don't remember how I did it though. But the note is still with me now.

I got into MCO last week and still waiting to hear from Cincinnati - and the amount of money you're going to save going to an Ohio school is great.

Yep, comparitively speaking I will be paying the same going to an Ohio school out-of-state compared to Cali in state. Excluding UC-Davis of course (cheap cost of living).

So far Toledo, Ohio is not that bad for grad research and basic living. Beyond that cinci is probably better, but a little more expensive to live in.

Good luck to everyone.

SaltySqueegee said:
Yep, comparitively speaking I will be paying the same going to an Ohio school out-of-state compared to Cali in state. Excluding UC-Davis of course (cheap cost of living).

Adding to the mix, Ohio State is a great school. Loved my visit there. Some schools will give you a break for tuition. Unfortunately, OSU is 60k for your first year if you're out of state. Then you can get ohio residency and come out with ~125k debt. I had a heart attack when i heard the 60k figure...but I guess it's not that bad when you average it out. Sucks if you're accruing interest on that from MS1 though.

finnpipette said:
Adding to the mix, Ohio State is a great school. Loved my visit there. Some schools will give you a break for tuition. Unfortunately, OSU is 60k for your first year if you're out of state. Then you can get ohio residency and come out with ~125k debt. I had a heart attack when i heard the 60k figure...but I guess it's not that bad when you average it out. Sucks if you're accruing interest on that from MS1 though.

Yeah, same here. Average debt is ~90K (including living costs, etc.) but almost crapped my pants when I heard $48K for me for first year.

Um, yeah... can I get my Out-of-state tuition my last year instead of the first? Yeah, thanks...

I don't know if you went to a California school for undergrad, but my school has a list of all the allopathic institutions and their rate of acceptance of their students at those institutions. Go to your career services and see if they have that kind of information available.