for Canadian applicants, how do you pay the applicantion fee to schools in US $?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most schools require us to pay the application fee by check in US $ ? But how do I pay them in US $ cuz the currency exchange changes every day? This question may sound stupid, but I have not written check for organizations in US from Canada. Thanks you!

Members don't see this ad.

many (maybe not most) school requires money order, and do not accept personal cheques...

u can go to ur bank and request to buy US dollar funds money orders, depending on ur bank, there may be a charge PER money order (or if u have a monthly package with ur bank u can get it for free)

today's exchange rate is 1.085
good time to buy some US dollars:thumbup:

Of the 18 schools I applied to, all accepted personal checks (but not cheques). When the check is cashed your bank (or theirs) will make the conversion. If you want to lock in a certain rate because it's going to change, go with a money order.

Members don't see this ad :)
umm
what's the difference between personal checks and cheques? i thought it's the same thing just with different spellings?

Most schools require us to pay the application fee by check in US $ ? But how do I pay them in US $ cuz the currency exchange changes every day? This question may sound stupid, but I have not written check for organizations in US from Canada. Thanks you!

You start a lot of threads and ask a lot of dumb questions. Don't expect everyone to want to help you out because you lack the communication skills to pick up the phone and call the dental schools yourself, lack the maturity to realize very few want to hold your hand, and lack the common sense to realize you open a US checking account and pay in American Dollars because YOU ARE APPLYING TO SCHOOLS IN AMERICA.

Seriously. This has been going on for weeks now. Stop flooding the forum with 25 new threads a day that essentially boil down to "help me, help me, I can't read directions, help me."

jeninny44, a little harsh but I understand where you are coming from. Why the hostility? Is it the whole Canadian/International stealing "our" seats idea? Anyways, you could have conveyed your statement a lot more constructively.

Smooth Operator, it's because not cuz. Good luck this cycle.

jeninny44, a little harsh but I understand where you are coming from. Why the hostility? Is it the whole Canadian/International stealing "our" seats idea? Anyways, you could have conveyed your statement a lot more constructively.

Smooth Operator, it's because not cuz. Good luck this cycle.

Normally I would agree, but if you have been here long enough and read enough of SO's threads/posts, you would have to agree. He seems to ask every question that pops into his head, and that is NOT the type of dentist I think anyone would want.

Normally I would agree, but if you have been here long enough and read enough of SO's threads/posts, you would have to agree. He seems to ask every question that pops into his head, and that is NOT the type of dentist I think anyone would want.

Thank you. Smooth operator will post whatever random (and often very ill thought) question the moment it jumps into his head. Many SDN'ers are tired of seeing him flooding the messageboard with pointless threads that only petrain to helping him.