Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

For Chicago---Ross or SGU

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by dknykid1980, Mar 25, 2002.

1. dknykid1980

dknykid1980 Senior Member

Hey all

I was just wondering. If i would like to one day obtain a residency in the chicagoland area which school ROSS or SGU would be more advantageous to attend? I know that both students from both these schools have grads in chicago, but does one have an edge over the other?

later

thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Cuts

Cuts Member

What you are actually trying to ask is if one would have more opportunties available to them if they graduated from SGU or from Ross... the Chicago part is irrelevant. The short answer is SGU... been around longer, better rep.

4. Hirurg

Hirurg Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Go with SABA. They have clinical sites in Chicago. That is what will determine the future for residency position. I am MS1 at SGU. The school indeed is the best of them all (Carib) and better than some US school. But no spots in Illinois. Saba has several hospitals in Chicago contracted, look at their web site for info. <a href="http://www.saba.edu" target="_blank">www.saba.edu</a> (I think!)
    Good luck.

5. Cuts

Cuts Member

I disagree. I don't think doing 3rd & 4th year clerkships in a particular city necessarily increases one's chances of Matching in that city. In contrast, going to a more prestigous med school ("prestigous" among Caribbean schools anyway) would most definitely increase one's chances of Matching... again the particular city is irrelevant.

6. TXSPE

TXSPE Junior Member

SGU better than some US school??? tell me which ones!!!!!!

7. txspe

hey i know for a fact that SGU has better board scores than FInch and MCP hahnemann!

nevertheless, ROSS has the 3 highest board scores EVER for the USMLE.

so it seems that SGU all around may be better. However, if you can kick ass at ROSs you can do really really well. It also probably has to do with the fact that at Ross your on a letter grade basis (A,B,C, etc) compared to SGU's pass or fail system. Thus Ross would be more competitive...and i would say more better.

later

8. roadie

roadie Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by TXSPE:
    <strong>SGU better than some US school??? tell me which ones!!!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I am a first year at SGU. A couple of days ago, we had a guy that sits on the board of the USMLE give a lecture. He told us that this last year the pass rates on step 1 were as follows:

US allopathic first time takers 91% ave pass rate
    US osteopathic first time takers Mid seventies(I can't rember exactly, I think is was 74-76% and I was really suprised it was that low)
    SGU first time takers 94%

Based on the percentages we are 3% above the US average so we must be doing better than quite a handful of US schools. I will be the first one to admit, however, that someone at the worst US allopathic school for the most part has an edge come residency time.

9. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cuts:
    <strong>I disagree. I don't think doing 3rd & 4th year clerkships in a particular city necessarily increases one's chances of Matching in that city. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I disagree with your disagree. Letters of recommendation and who you know can play a big part in matching. Having letters to residency directors that know the letter writers are probably more effective than unkown letter writers.

10. lilic

lilic Junior Member

will biking or rollerblading be faster if i wanna get from grenada to chicago?

11. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member

i was just scrolling through this message board and i had to respond! while its true that SGU is probably the most respected foreign caribean school, lets not get carried away!! it is NOT better then ANY U.S. medschool! You can say whatever you want about board score numbers, bottom line is that ANYONE at SGU would leave in a second if offered a spot at either FINCH or MCP HANNEMAN. Lets not forget that someone from Finch or MCP will have a better shot at their choice of residency also. If SGU or ROSS were a better school, then none of this would be the case!!

12. roadie

roadie Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by grkbuckeye:
    <strong> You can say whatever you want about board score numbers, bottom line is that ANYONE at SGU would leave in a second if offered a spot at either FINCH or MCP HANNEMAN. Lets not forget that someone from Finch or MCP will have a better shot at their choice of residency also. If SGU or ROSS were a better school, then none of this would be the case!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unless i can't read my own post, I think this is exactly what I said. I am not saying that sgu will be the best option as far as securing a residency, in fact I said the exact opposite. However, when comparing quality of education, by the numbers, sgu has an edge over a handful of us schools. If I was offered a transfer opportunity to any one of those us schools that has lower scores would I take it? absolutely. Do I think that I will be a competant physician coming from St. George's? Absolutely

13. roadie

roadie Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nobadwords:
    <strong> It also probably has to do with the fact that at Ross your on a letter grade basis (A,B,C, etc) compared to SGU's pass or fail system. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Although not significant, I thought that I would mention that SGU does use a letter grade scale, not pass/fail.

14. Werry

Werry Member

SGU and Ross prescreen those that take the biards, that is why their scores are so high. It is very desceptive on their part.

15. roadie

roadie Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Werry:
    <strong>SGU and Ross prescreen those that take the biards, that is why their scores are so high. It is very desceptive on their part.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I will let someone who attends Ross comment on that school, but I can tell you how it is done at SGU. At the end of our second year, we take a comprehensive exam, which is supposed to predict our abilities on the USMLE. There is a misconception that if you fail this exam, you cannot take the USMLE. This is not entirely true. You can still take Step 1 if you fail the exam as long as you have a 2.5 GPA. That is not a mistake, I said 2.5. So, if you fail the BSCE (the exam I am talking about) and you have below a 2.5 GPA, then you will not be allowed to take Step 1. So, you are correct to say that SGU screens people. However, the number of people that are not allowed to take the test is very, very small. The board pass rate is very represenative of the class as a whole, not just the top 50% or whatever. Also, since I know this is bound to come up shortly, the attrition rate at SGU is nowhere near what it is at other caribbean schools. Usually over 90 percent of matriculants sit for the boards with their class. Attrition rate is usually about 8%. Definately higher than most US schools. Not even close to most foriegn schools.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. doctamon

doctamon Member

It is pretty well known that US schools also do a bit of screening of those taking the USMLE 1. Those falling behind are usually offered tutoring and "encouraged" to wait to take the test.

18. soopa

soopa Senior Member

I recommend a Beechcraft King Air 350 Heavy turbo prop. a very reliable aircraft!

19. jenjas

jenjas REDSOXNATION

That is so true.....I am an sgu student (5 weeks left in the caribbean), It has been a long ass haul. I don't know what it is like in US shools, but I have had some of the worse teaching in my life at SGU. Neuro was a joke, Path was a complete waste of time, and who teaches pathophysiology but nursing school? I don't like SGU, but I had no choice. If I could do it all again, I would have gone to ROSS, Cheaper. Trust me, there is no difference b/w caribbean medical schools. You are from the Caribbean PERIOD. And SGU does screen their test takers. You have to pass there inside exam. It is decieving. And I highly doubt, that this school is any better than US schools. I would give my left......to go to the lowest ranked US school. I have taken some of the poorest written exams here in my life, and musice 101 was taught better than pharmacology. Bottom line SGU students are scrappers. We are used to bad lectures and notes, we read 3 test books what US students get in nice powerpoints.

disgruntled SGU student