for columbia applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vandy_yankee said:
because what is past is past, and what is present is money. all the asian countries, especially china and korea, are just booming economies right now--and their neighbor japan is a huge business partner. what is past is past, but what REALLY matters to the present is $$$ and hence most of the tension/past injustice is ignored.

but, you can't deny that if the money context is taken away, the tension IS there. there's just too long a history of bad blood for it to be all forgotten within half a century. it is getting better with each passing year and with each apology (the japanese govt finally started semi-recognizing the abuse of comfort women during WW2 in the 1990s). but there is still tension, even within the japanese vs. chinese/korean communities here in the US there are unspoken tensions.

Yes its true, the tension remains. This is why I find it so perplexing that some Chinese/Korean guys pretend thier Japanese and lust after a Japanese date. Its a damd shame.

Members don't see this ad.

Okazaki said:
Actually, Japan did indeed occupy Korea for 50 years. During their occupancy, the govnmt. even tried to stamp-out the Korean language by forcing them to speak Japanese and imprisoned any who were caught speaking their native tongue. That article about China sounded very similar to the happenings in Korea too. The Japanese Gov. even tried to deny the fact that their ancient emperor and his wife were actually Korean. Recently the present emperor of Japan came out and openly admitted that the empress was indeed Korean, but won't admit that the Emperor was.

Ok, back to Columbia Asian chicks.....

Is thier anything wrong with all that. I mean unlike the others, the Japanese language is actually very pleasant to the ears......

paolorossifan said:
Is thier anything wrong with all that. I mean unlike the others, the Japanese language is actually very pleasant to the ears......

Are you asking if there is anything wrong with the idea of the Japanese trying to stamp-out an entire country's language and identity by completely taking it over?

I agree that the Japanese language does sound nice, which is one of the reasons why I learned it to fluency, but I don't quite get your, "Is there anything wrong with all that." statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has gone way off topic. I thought we were talking about good-looking girls (or the lack of them) at columbia. This thread has gotten way too serious and it hurts my head to read any more. paolorossifan, you're a weirdo man.

Okazaki said:
Are you asking if there is anything wrong with the idea of the Japanese trying to stamp-out an entire country's language and identity by completely taking it over?

I agree that the Japanese language does sound nice, which is one of the reasons why I learned it to fluency, but I don't quite get your, "Is there anything wrong with all that." statement.

No, no, no. I don't condone that or anything like that. It just sounds nicer than say Chinese or Vietnamese. Like French is nicer to hear than German, etc.

delicious said:
This thread has gone way off topic. I thought we were talking about good-looking girls (or the lack of them) at columbia. This thread has gotten way too serious and it hurts my head to read any more. paolorossifan, you're a weirdo man.

You need to get out of the Columbia threads my friends. I think you have an addiction. Wheras "Dr". Badvibes insults without reason, you have nothing of any merit when it comes to Columbia. Pay the 1000 dollars and get with the program or bug some other school.

paolorossifan said:
Wheras "Dr". Badvibes insults without reason, you have nothing of any merit when it comes to Columbia.

What?!! :p :laugh: :laugh:

Funny story, I actually did give columbia the $1000 deposit (or was it $1500 then) - but lost it when I got accepted to another school and decided to go there instead. So, for that $1000, I feel that I am entitled to participate in as many columbia threads as I desire on SDN. So help me god.

delicious said:

Hey hey hey, you have the right to like whatever school and you are free to bash any school you want, but stop the personal attack will ya, not every Columbia thread needs to turn out to be a battlefield.

delicious said:
No prob man. I mean, I'd hate to see a columbia thread actually reach a 2nd page without becoming a flame-fest about specialization records. BadVibes is on vacation somewhere right now, so i thought it would be good if I filled in for him.

Thanks for filling in for me delicious, but Im back from Europe.

Yah, Columbia blows.

About the Asian thing.....my ex-gf who was chinese told me that asian culture is very superficial and all about being the best, and showing off to other families....so going to a name-brand school like Columbia is a great way of doing that.....so most of the asians at Columbia are probably doing it for their parents to showoff to their friends

Dr.BadVibes said:
About the Asian thing.....my ex-gf who was chinese told me that asian culture is very superficial and all about being the best, and showing off to other families....so going to a name-brand school like Columbia is a great way of doing that.....so most of the asians at Columbia are probably doing it for their parents to showoff to their friends
Temple School of Dentistry Class of 2008
DMD/MPH program

Member of Xi Psi Phi Dental Fraternity

Europe was amazing!! Went to Barcelona, Prague, Slovakia, and Germany

Dr.BadVibes has now travelled to 30 countries!
Dr.BadVibes is offline Report Bad Post Reply With Quote

Putting your "extra" credentials in your online forum signature is just another way of showing off. And putting down a school that you don't go to is just another way of making yourself feel superior when you're not. I'm officially through with the pre-dental forum..if anyone needs advice..i'm sure there are others from columbia who can help out and u can pm as well. Can't participate in anymore threads where i have to justify to others how great my school is. If you don't go here...you'll just never know, simple as that. Neither of us will truly know the experience at another school unless there is great complaining from the students who go there like nyu maybe just bc of price, overcrowding etc. I've heard of very few columbia students complain so that shows you that we have a decent experience here. And for your ultimate argument about columbia selling itself on a higher specialty rate than others...they don't. Clearly at the interview they give you a list of the specialties and the number of students who go to into each and they say that 98% of students go into post-graduate programs (including GPR). You know this at your interview and the stats are even online. You have no argument. Once and for all...Columbia rules and it's a great education. :p

Hey SillyRabbit. Your level-headed contribution to SDN is important, and you shouldn't leave it just because of one person. That last post by BadVibes was pretty out-of-line, but just ignore it. Everyone here has the choice to respond to posts, and it's unfortunate that some columbia people react a little too hard to criticism of their school (this makes BadVibes seem more negative than he really is I feel). Just ignore it. People say harsh things about Harvard all the time (even very senior members of SDN), but you don't see Harvard students going nuts. They're like: "whatever, you go ahead and think that buddy." And they move on.

Don't ask me why I just spent 15 minutes reading this thread - I guess the pro vs. anti Columbia discussions are entertaining. Anyway, I only have two things to say:

1st, German is a beautiful language to yell in :mad: (I'm fluent).

2nd, short girls are funner to cuddle with when you're watching a movie on the couch - I'm 6'1'', 185 lbs but like girls who are around 5'2'' and 110 lbs because your arm doesn't fall asleep. That's just my preference based on my dating experiences

Members don't see this ad :)
delicious said:
What?!! :p :laugh: :laugh:

Funny story, I actually did give columbia the $1000 deposit (or was it $1500 then) - but lost it when I got accepted to another school and decided to go there instead. So, for that $1000, I feel that I am entitled to participate in as many columbia threads as I desire on SDN. So help me god.

1500! Damd thats alot of cash. Did they give you a refund. Which school did you finally choose over Columbia?

paolorossifan said:
1500! Damd thats alot of cash. Did they give you a refund. Which school did you finally choose over Columbia?

:laugh: Refund, yeah right. No, they kept that money and with it McManus probably bought himself a new suit or Rolex. All I got was a nice receipt. But whatever, in the end you gotta put money aside and go where you think you'll be happiest.

delicious said:
:laugh: Refund, yeah right. No, they kept that money and with it McManus probably bought himself a new suit or Rolex. All I got was a nice receipt. But whatever, in the end you gotta put money aside and go where you think you'll be happiest.

True.

OOh so tempted to start posting but I have many exams to study for so that will have to wait till a later time........

Just one thing though, its very easy for certain people to attack other people/schools when they hide behind their anonymity and have tons of free time in dental school.

SillyRabbit said:
Putting your "extra" credentials in your online forum signature is just another way of showing off. And putting down a school that you don't go to is just another way of making yourself feel superior when you're not.

Whats showing off? I like travelling and just came back from Spring break so i put it in my sig....so what?

Now if I wrote something like I have a 10 inch schlong or something like that....yah, now that would be showing off. Anyways, Im gonna miss you Trix. :(

freedyx3 said:
... its very easy for certain people to attack other people/schools when they .... have tons of free time in dental school.

...because no school's curriculum is as difficult as columbia's right? I don't see any other way to take that "free time" comment.

This is another, albeit subtler, example of what I was talking about earlier. Someone makes a not-so-positive comment about columbia, and in response, a columbia student says something that's completely unrelated and snooty/arrogant. And then it explodes into a flame-fest. Just cool it.

Is anyone pursuing the DDS/MBA program at Columbia? They have a kick ass business school and I would definitely consider this when I apply. Also, you guys know how hard it is to get into a program like that?

EyeAmCommi said:
Is anyone pursuing the DDS/MBA program at Columbia? They have a kick ass business school and I would definitely consider this when I apply. Also, you guys know how hard it is to get into a program like that?

The program is granted to anyone who makes it into Columbia's Dental school, or any D-school that grants a DMD/MBA degree for that matter. Even Temple has one aswell. It's not something you apply for before getting into the d-school. Once you get in, you have to take the GMAT's sometime before your 2nd year and obtain a score good enough to enter into the program. You then take the business courses your second year and then rejoin the next generation of dental students into your 2nd year of D-school while your original classmates advance to their 3rd.

Okazaki said:
The program is granted to anyone who makes it into Columbia's Dental school, or any D-school that grants a DMD/MBA degree for that matter. Even Temple has one aswell. It's not something you apply for before getting into the d-school. Once you get in, you have to take the GMAT's sometime before your 2nd year and obtain a score good enough to enter into the program. You then take the business courses your second year and then rejoin the next generation of dental students into your 2nd year of D-school while your original classmates advance to their 3rd.

Really?? At Temple, the DMD/MBA program is designed to be finished within the 4 years. I know some students have had it extended into a 5th year however cause they started it late. I know one guy in my class has already started it and plans to be finished in 4 years.

Im currently doing the DMD/MPH combined degree and have already started it, so Ill be quite ahead going into my second year which means that Ill be able to finish both degrees in the 4 years with no problem...personally I think if one is committed to be finished within 4 years and to not interfere with your dental degree, it can definitely be done with some planning

Dr.BadVibes said:
Really?? At Temple, the DMD/MBA program is designed to be finished within the 4 years. I know some students have had it extended into a 5th year however cause they started it late. I know one guy in my class has already started it and plans to be finished in 4 years.

Im currently doing the DMD/MPH combined degree and have already started it, so Ill be quite ahead going into my second year which means that Ill be able to finish both degrees in the 4 years with no problem...personally I think if one is committed to be finished within 4 years and to not interfere with your dental degree, it can definitely be done with some planning

So those students begin their 2nd degree courses right into their first year? I was going by what we were told during Brian's presentation. I specifically asked him that question. The answer was the same at Columbia... and I know that UMDNJ's med school does it that way too.

Oh and BadVibes,...

Do you know off-hand the author of the Biochem book are you guys using at temple? Was it really a ball buster when you took it last semester?

Dr.BadVibes said:

Columbia MBA= really good.
Temple MBA = not so good.
Who would argue against this.

Okazaki said:
So those students begin their 2nd degree courses right into their first year? I was going by what we were told during Brian's presentation. I specifically asked him that question. The answer was the same at Columbia... and I know that UMDNJ's med school does it that way too.

I think for the MBA, you wouldnt be formally accepted into the program until 2nd year....I dont know how my classmate is doing it now....perhaps he is paying his way for the first year

As for the my MPH....we started it this semester and Temple is footing the bill

Okazaki said:
Oh and BadVibes,...

Do you know off-hand the author of the Biochem book are you guys using at temple? Was it really a ball buster when you took it last semester?

DONT BUY THE BIOCHEM BOOK!!! Profs give all the notes in handouts!

Was it hard? yah, but only because there was so much material....it definitely is the course that needs the most attention first semester

paolorossifan said:

Actually Temple is well known for its MBA and Law schools...but yah, I wouldnt argue against you....Columbia's MBA is one of the top rated in the nation...if you were going into a dental career where you will use your MBA to get a job, there is no question about it....Columbia would be the obvious choice.

But keep in mind that at Columbia, you have to pay extra for your dual degree whereas at Temple, its free.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Actually Temple is well known for its MBA and Law schools...but yah, I wouldnt argue against you....Columbia's MBA is one of the top rated in the nation...if you were going into a dental career where you will use your MBA to get a job, there is no question about it....Columbia would be the obvious choice.

But keep in mind that at Columbia, you have to pay extra for your dual degree whereas at Temple, its free.

I hate to admit it, but your right. That was something that really impressed me about T. They ought to give us a break and pay for our MPH/MBA's. Even Louisville pays for a M.Sc.

Dr.BadVibes said:
I think for the MBA, you wouldnt be formally accepted into the program until 2nd year....I dont know how my classmate is doing it now....perhaps he is paying his way for the first year

As for the my MPH....we started it this semester and Temple is footing the bill

Thanks for the feedback about the DDS/MBA degrees everyone. I do have a question for you Dr. BadVibes: is it a lot of work for you to have to complete regular dental school work and take classes for your Masters in Public Health? Would you recommend dual degrees?

delicious said:

did you get a receipt?? hm..am i the only one who didn't get a receipt?

Dr.BadVibes said:

Myself along with several classmates went to the mba/dds presentation a while ago. I kinda thought those extra three alphabets would make my business card look cooler. There are several down sides to a dual degree. In columbia its not free. It takes an extra year to graduate and even if you obtain an mba, other than better knowlege of operating your private practice, you will have no use in utilizing your mba unless you plan to leave the scope of dentistry by which you will be working more hours and getting paid less. So all in all obtaining an mba is useless, but on the other hand if its free and you can graduate on time, by all means go for it.

nnjh said:
Myself along with several classmates went to the mba/dds presentation a while ago. I kinda thought those extra three alphabets would make my business card look cooler. There are several down sides to a dual degree. In columbia its not free. It takes an extra year to graduate and even if you obtain an mba, other than better knowlege of operating your private practice, you will have no use in utilizing your mba unless you plan to leave the scope of dentistry by which you will be working more hours and getting paid less. So all in all obtaining an mba is useless, but on the other hand if its free and you can graduate on time, by all means go for it.

In order to get into the MBA program do you need to have good undegrad grades? Or is it GMAT/Dental school grades. I've let my grades to the toliet after getting in and now I think I'm going to regret that.

paolorossifan said:
In order to get into the MBA program do you need to have good undegrad grades? Or is it GMAT/Dental school grades. I've let my grades to the toliet after getting in and now I think I'm going to regret that.

Since you're already in the school, all you need to do is get an acceptable score on the GMAT sometime before your second year.

I just got a reply from Columbia today. Waitlisted.
Makes my decision easier now.

t12kim said:
did you get a receipt?? hm..am i the only one who didn't get a receipt?

no, no, you've misunderstood. I gave them my deposit, then withdrew. You gave them your deposit, but will be attending. I imagine the money you gave them will go your tuition. :luck: I honestly can't remember if it was $1000 or $1500.

... said:
nothing personal, I guess we all want a diverse class. however, what is so weird with columbia has many asians? they have the grades, they should get in.
So...you're against affirmative action?

paolorossifan said:
What superior logic here...

Dr.BadVibes said:

what's wrong with showing off ur edu? if you got it, flaunt it.

all cultures in the world, generally speaking, have superficial charac. almost everyone is the same, including you dr.bv. 50cents flaunts his muscles, b. spears her breasts, d. trump his $$/power. but, they're cool, since they're on mtv, right? Getting into Columbia is an achievement just like getting ripped, breast implants, and amassing wealth. So what’s the diff btwn bragging abt one’s edu and displaying one’s 8-pack during spr break???

I like how you plugged this irrelevant statement in just to provoke Asians.

Dr.BadVibes said:
Dr.BadVibes said:
Also, it gives opportunities for superficial people like palorissfan to brag to others and
make himself feel better.
Dr.BadVibes said:
Ill be honest...Im quite suprised that someone as superficial and elitist as yourself is not a Bush and Harper supporter.
you label other ppl as superficial too liberally, don’t u think? Look at this quote from the India forum:

Dr.BadVibes said:
Im not trying to get anybody riled up....its so true. My mom always sees me going out with non-Indian girls and gets mad at me.....but I tell her that 99% of Indian girls are so sheltered and protected by their parents, they really dont have any life experiences and thus have very little personalities and they become like the people in this thread....clueless losers with horrid sense of humours.

Also, I tend to see Indian girls (and just Indian people in general) always hang out with other Indian people....now there is nothing wrong with having friends within your culture, but gimme a break...its almost always exclusively Indian people hanging out together. ANd the result? Indian people are just not cultured outside of the Indian culture....

sorry, I guess its a personal preference, but to me, there are other wonderful cultures out there other than the Indian culture, and that shows with my friends and girlfriends....its always been a cultural mosaic with me.
?? you pick friends based on how much life xp, how much culture they have?? What abt more substantial qualities, like loyalty? What if an Indian girl is low on xp/culture, but loves you and is willing to perform the sati ritual for you. Will you brush her aside b/c she doesn’t know where Katmandu is?

Halitosis said:
what's wrong with showing off ur edu? if you got it, flaunt it.

all cultures in the world, generally speaking, have superficial charac. almost everyone is the same, including you dr.bv. 50cents flaunts his muscles, b. spears her breasts, d. trump his $$/power. but, they're cool, since they're on mtv, right? Getting into Columbia is an achievement just like getting ripped, breast implants, and amassing wealth. So what’s the diff btwn bragging abt one’s edu and displaying one’s 8-pack during spr break???

I like how you plugged this irrelevant statement in just to provoke Asians.

You really got a problem with me, eh Halitosis?

actually there is something wrong with that....first of all getting into Columbia dental is no more of an accomplishment than getting to any other dental school......we all know that getting into schools such as SUNY-Stony Brook, Cali Schools, Texas schools are way harder to get into than Columbia....do those guys have a right to brag either?

And why would you brag? Do you have some sort of inferiority complex that you need to compensate with your education, your clothes, your car?

I dunno about you, but I dont look at the guy pumping gas and say to him, "hahaha, I got into dental school and Im better than you"....that dude is pumping gas for a variety of reasons.....why assume you are better than them? For all you know, that guy pumping gas can volunteer with impoverished children in his spare time, while you go around flaunting your Columbia student card trying to impress ladies at the clubs.....so tell me....who deserves the respect then?

By the way, I would say the exact same thing to 50 cent, Britney Spears and Donald Trump right to their face.....the fact that you think breast implants and muscles are an achievement just shows your character to a tee and probably showcases what the majority of Columbia students are all about.

Halitosis said:
you label other ppl as superficial too liberally, don’t u think? Look at this quote from the India forum:

?? you pick friends based on how much life xp, how much culture they have?? What abt more substantial qualities, like loyalty? What if an Indian girl is low on xp/culture, but loves you and is willing to perform the sati ritual for you. Will you brush her aside b/c she doesn’t know where Katmandu is?

You actually looked through my 2000+ posts??? whoa!!!

Anyways to answer your question, I like to be surrounded by people that are well-cultured and that especially holds true for somone I would date....but that is just a personal preference....

Has anyone recieved any mail from Columbia requesting the $500 due by May 1st?

Dr.BadVibes said:
.....the fact that you think breast implants and muscles are an achievement just shows your character to a tee and probably showcases what the majority of Columbia students are all about.

I wouldn't classify breast implants as an achievement, but muscles who someone has exercised and worked hard to get should be looked at as an achievement. The phyical appearance and health that comes from taking care of your body requires discipline, and if respecting someone's hard work is a detriment to my character in your eyes, then you need your vision checked.

Again as a non majority Columbia student I'd like to make it known that I do not think breast implants are an achievement.

MasterTLT said:
I wouldn't classify breast implants as an achievement, but muscles who someone has exercised and worked hard to get should be looked at as an achievement. The phyical appearance and health that comes from taking care of your body requires discipline, and if respecting someone's hard work is a detriment to my character in your eyes, then you need your vision checked.

Again as a non majority Columbia student I'd like to make it known that I do not think breast implants are an achievement.

point well taken.....what I was trying to get at are muscle heads who think that showing off their muscles makes them better than others...

There is a difference between gaining muscles for health reasons or to gain them to impress girls....

MasterTLT said:
Has anyone recieved any mail from Columbia requesting the $500 due by May 1st?

NO???

PIZZAM said:

If you were accepted, YES a deposit of 500 dollars is due on may 1!!!

this is true

Make sure you send it in to reserve your spot!!

onetoothleft said:
If you were accepted, YES a deposit of 500 dollars is due on may 1!!!

this is true

Make sure you send it in to reserve your spot!!

Thanks, I guess I was just a little worried that I missed some mail or at least a reminder to send in the $500.

Dr.BadVibes said:
point well taken.....what I was trying to get at are muscle heads who think that showing off their muscles makes them better than others...

There is a difference between gaining muscles for health reasons or to gain them to impress girls....

Amen, I've been trying to impress the girls with my golf game, but without any luck. It's so hard these days to find a woman that really appreciates a good short game.

MasterTLT said:
Thanks, I guess I was just a little worried that I missed some mail or at least a reminder to send in the $500.

Amen, I've been trying to impress the girls with my golf game, but without any luck. It's so hard these days to find a woman that really appreciates a good short game.

hey, MasterTLT. I believe you are a pretty good golfer. we should definitely play sometime at columbia. mine is 5. u?

t12kim said:
hey, MasterTLT. I believe you are a pretty good golfer. we should definitely play sometime at columbia. mine is 5. u?

If I can find room in the car I'm going to bring my clubs and would love to play if we can find a course. I read something about a golf benefit event through the dental school so there must be somewhere to play, though I have no idea how we can get off Manhattan island and get there.

I currently don't have a handicap as I haven't played much the past two years since my school cut the varsity golf team, and I've been busy with research and classes to finish my engineering degree. I'm hoping to play a lot this summer and am currently hitting lots of balls in the backyard when the weather is not freezing cold and raining. I usually shoot around 75 if I have my game in order, but as anyone who doesn't get to practice knows that's rarely the case.

MasterTLT said:
I did not get that mail either, but I emailed dr mcmanus and he said we had to send it. I just sent mine via online banking :)