for current BU students: can you afford BU on financial aid alone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerlili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current BU students,

I was overwhelmed at my interview at the cost of the school, and was wondering if current students were able to manage paying for school without any help from their parents? My parents paid for my undergrad and i don't want to ask them since they will be retiring in a few years . . . so i was just wondering how you all mange.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For me, federal aid is sufficient in helping to pay for tuition, cost of books, and transportation. However, living expenses such as room and board one would have to look into private loans. Depending on how "bling" you want the lifestule the more one would have to take out, but it is possible to live comfortably without taking too much out.

Private loans or an institutional loan (through the school and not as high interest rate) are some options outside of money in savings, family, or a spouse who is working, etc.

Tufts is pretty pricey too, and while I know that there are a bunch of people lucky enough to have their parents paying for them, I took out private loans. It's scary owing that much money, but I could never ask my parents to pay my way on this one.