? for current COMP MSI's and II's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fred Durst

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours are spent in the classroom each day?

How many hours do you spend outside of class?

What is the deal on the lap top?

Members don't see this ad.

For your first semster, count on being in class from 8 to 5. That way when you get the nice early out days, or the odd ball late start days you will be very happy. The second semester eases up some, but not much. I think the second years have much more time out of class, but they also have a lot of group projects/presentations to work on.

Expect class from 8-5. Some days are less, none are more.

I then work out for an hour, eat, and start studying. I am usually at school studying in the evenings at least until 1 or 2 am. So I study about 7 or 8 hours a day depending on when we get out of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nebaker,
Are you at KCOM or do you go to COMP?

Also, what is up with the laptop? Does anyone know how close the Pomona metrolink station is to the school?

Nebaker,
Are you at KCOM or do you go to COMP?

Also, what is up with the laptop? Does anyone know how close the Pomona metrolink station is to the school?

I can answer the last two questions, at least from my personal standpoint.

Laptop- the big wigs tell you it is mandatory. I wouldn't go that far. It is nice to have because a fair number of professers do put their lectures on powerpoint presentations and make them available to download. There is also a number of various things/projects assignments in the second semester that need to be accessed by computer and that makes it easier if you have yours handy.

Metro link- pretty close. I'd say 4 blocks or so.

Fred,

I am at KCOM.

I got a laptop becaue everyone made it sound madatory. It is in no way madatory but it has been really nice to have. I use it all the time to go through power point presentations for professors, no matter where I am studying.

It is also a HUGE distraction to have a class, especially with the T1 connection at every seat. I find that in many cases, SDN is much more interesting than the lecture material.

nicole
:wink:

Hey Red-capped Fred,

To answer your question, we usually have class from 8-5, with very few days where we begin or start late. So, when those days come around, we're really excited. It gives some of us a an extra hour or so to study or just take a break. Currently we're in the Neuro System, and looking at the rest of the schedule we'll have class beginning at 8 everyday.
In the first semester, expect to have an exam every Monday. Towards the last 2 months it gets pretty crazy. I remember having to prepare for 13 exams in that time period. It was definitely a killer, but luckily I got through it.
If you have any more questions just post and we'll be happy to answer your questions. About the laptop issue go to <a href="http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001652;p=33#000813" target="_blank">http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001652;p=33#000813</a>

I just replied to a post about that issue.

Hey there, (not sure if you got this reply in the pre-do section)

I'm currently an MS-I at COMP and we are in the middle of our second semester. The first semester, we would spend anywhere from 5-8 hours at school in class/lab.. probably averaging more about 6-7 hours. We have periods in our schedule where each week we would have an exam.

During the second semester, we don't have exams as frequently since we have started all our systems-based courses. I think we do spend quite a bit of time in the classroom.. probably 6-8 every day, but it seems like we will sometimes get a half-day on Fridays for what it's worth.