For current optometry students...are any of you considering residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phillygirl98

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I was just wondering..for all of you currently in school...do any of you want to go on and do a residency? Do you think it's helpful for jobs after graduating? My optometrist had suggested it to me once before...I didnt know how common it was and if it's a good idea. Like is it worth the year of taking a cut in pay and studying more before getting out in the real world and working right away.. Thanks for ur comments!
:)

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't optometrists have to enter a residency like physicians and pharmacists?

A residence is not required for OD's. But I don't think they are req. for Pharm.D's either. I know they have to do rotations/externs, but residencies post. graduation??? OD's have to do rotations/externs in certain area's practice during their 4th year, a residence after graduation is optional.

I plan to do one. For most a residance will make them more marketable if they are looking for a job or partnership in a private/group practice, but if they are looking at a corprate job, I don't think it will matter. I want to do one because I would like to specialize in certain field. There are tons of generalist out there, but few who are experts in a ceratin area. My father is an OD so I will have have a job either way, but I think a residence will make me a better doctor. I plan to practice as a general OD to, but if I have a specialty under my belt, i may alos be able to help other doctors if they have a patient with something out of the ordinary.

Last year we had over a dozen ODs from all scopes of practice (private, OD/MD, research, chain, industry...) come and speak, all but one made a point to say, "Do a residence," during their individual speech. That spoke a lot to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to do a residency as well. Rpames...get back to studying for color vision!!!

Eyegirl.

Eyegirl, 'you do not learning, you are memorizing!!!' We are now in Developmental Neurobiology, not Color Vision.

rpames said:
A residence is not required for OD's. But I don't think they are req. for Pharm.D's either. I know they have to do rotations/externs, but residencies post. graduation??? OD's have to do rotations/externs in certain area's practice during their 4th year, a residence after graduation is optional.

I plan to do one. For most a residance will make them more marketable if they are looking for a job or partnership in a private/group practice, but if they are looking at a corprate job, I don't think it will matter. I want to do one because I would like to specialize in certain field. There are tons of generalist out there, but few who are experts in a ceratin area. My father is an OD so I will have have a job either way, but I think a residence will make me a better doctor. I plan to practice as a general OD to, but if I have a specialty under my belt, i may alos be able to help other doctors if they have a patient with something out of the ordinary.

Last year we had over a dozen ODs from all scopes of practice (private, OD/MD, research, chain, industry...) come and speak, all but one made a point to say, "Do a residence," during their individual speech. That spoke a lot to me.

Residencies are not going to make a difference if you want to go into private practice, or commercial practice. In my opinion, the only places they will make you more "marketable" is in industry, academia, or in the VA system.

ONe thing they will certainly NOT do is earn you any more salary.

Jenny

JennyW said:
Residencies are not going to make a difference if you want to go into private practice, or commercial practice. In my opinion, the only places they will make you more "marketable" is in industry, academia, or in the VA system.

ONe thing they will certainly NOT do is earn you any more salary.

Jenny
Jenny, I disagree. I think you will be a much better OD having done residency. You also will have, I think, more potential to be hired for more $$. I was hired by a very successful OD/MD group and I don't think I'd have been considered for the spot were it not for the residency. You also learn to deal with more, and work faster (ie. 40-50 pts. a day). So, my feelings are if you do not do one you are missing something.

wow my thread is still alive... :laugh: anyway yeah I think I'm going to do one...I know it's a long time off from now but I talked to my optometrist and she recommended it basically like do one if u want a good job. I figure why not..I think the more knowledgeable and marketable u can make urself the better. Heck I might change my mind when it comes that time so who knows. :p

jchod said:
Jenny, I disagree. I think you will be a much better OD having done residency. You also will have, I think, more potential to be hired for more $$. I was hired by a very successful OD/MD group and I don't think I'd have been considered for the spot were it not for the residency. You also learn to deal with more, and work faster (ie. 40-50 pts. a day). So, my feelings are if you do not do one you are missing something.

I did a residency about 14 years ago and it was a good thing. You will learn a lot doing them. I recommend them. But I don't recommend them for people who think they will earn more money because of them. I have never been hired, nor have I ever hired someone for MORE money because they did a residency. While a residency may help you land some jobs (academia, federal service, OMD offices) it is unlikely to garner you any higher salary.

Jenny