Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

for future do's that attended tcom spring fling

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by WHOOP8002, Mar 28, 2004.

1. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am a future TCOMer. I was just wondering what people thought of the spring fling this past weekend. I thought that it was time well spent. The students and faculty were more than helpful in answering out ?'s. It was nice to ask them anything without having to worry about getting accepted because we have already made it. I did expect the tour of the apartments to be just a little bit more informative. I also noticed that most of the students were already married. Is this normal for medical school or does TCOM have a higher than normal amount of married people? Well at least there is TCU. :love:

2. DireWolf

DireWolf The Pride of Cucamonga
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    About half of my class (OSU-COM) is married or engaged. I think this a little high compared to other med schools. Not really a big surprise considering it is Oklahoma.

3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Considering our class' average age when we started school was almost 27, it really isn't that odd that we have so many married students (regardless of the state) :)

4. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Point well taken. I just thought I'd take a cheap shot at Oklahoma for its young marriages and subsequently high divorce rate. :p

5. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the state of Texas is the same way. I once met someone that got married when she was 15 and divorced at 18. :wow: That was obviously the end of my conversation with her. It seems that early marriage is more common in the south. By the way, I'll be going for OSU in the final four!!!!

6. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Welcome aboard. Lucas and Allen vs. Jack and Elder. Should be a classic.

7. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Are most of the students at OSUCOM from Oklahoma? Almost the entire class at TCOM is from Texas. I met a bunch of people that attended my undergrad university at TCOM. I wish there was just a little bit more diversity at texas med schools.

8. DireWolf

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    By law, OSU can only accept 10% of the class from out of state. So there are usually only 8-9 out-of-staters in a class of 88-90.

9. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My wife and I thought the weekend was really a good way for her to get to know a little more about what lies ahead. Although I am more of an introvert ( I felt a little out of place with all you smart people :D ), she did get to know a few of her classmates. I was really glad to hear that the students that are there really help each other out more than the "power struggle" that we had heard about at some schools. I guess that is why most people that got in to TCOM ranked it very high. I recall my wife talking about how close the students seemed when she interviewed. And it appears that after Spring Fling most students are really close and try to help one another.

I also thought the "tour of neighborhoods" was a little fast. We were told that right behind the school there we "lots of little houses for sale". Yes that is true. However last week we went with a realtor and found that most houses behind the school were in the 200K and above range. Those are about 2100 sq ft. We did find one that was only 1000sq ft that was a mere $195,000 that was built in the 1940's and needed a lot of work. The cheapest house we found behind the school was a 900sq ft for $110,000. So we moved our search out to I-30 and West Loop 820. It took us about 15 minutes to drive from the school to a house that we are looking at. But it is a house built in the 1990's and is ready to move in for under $90k. Anyway I thought there would be more of a info packet on housing. Oh well, we still had a good time and are looking forward to getting moved!!!

10. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Those tiny houses cost that much!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wow: :wow: :wow:
    I guess anything in that part of town is overpriced. Well, I am only looking at apartments because I am single and don't plan on living in Ft. Worth for more than a little over 3 years considering I will try to do as many rotations out of state as possible. I have a ? that is unrelated. What is the average age for students matriculating into TCOM? I just turned 24 so I am older than some.

11. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

My wife is 26. I think that there were several student older than that at the Spring Fling.

12. lilmo

lilmo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Unfortunately I couldn't make it down from sunny Kansas to the Spring Fling last weekend. What all did I miss? Were the students and professors cool? I'm soooooo sad I couldn't go:( Any young single people?

13. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think there were 5 single people (including me) in a room of 100 people. :( Well, at least 5 people that raised their hand when asked if they were single. Are you a Kansas resident? Congrats on getting into a Texas school!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    24 is actually on the average/young side I think--quite a few students are older than that. You will find a lot of diversity in age at TCOM, as well as cultural diversity. While it is true most are from Texas (we are a state school, after all), the student body is quite diverse, I think. It would be really nice to have more representation from African-Americans, but other than that, it looks a bit the UN here. :)

For those of you looking for love in all the wrong places...welcome to Ft. Worth! I'm not on the market myself, but I have to say it looks like kind of slim pickin's for the dating crowd. Maybe your class will be different, though. TCU does seem to have a good number of young elilgibles--might try studying in their library....??

15. WHOOP8002

WHOOP8002 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Sounds like a plan. I'm sure that most DO schools lack single people due to the average age of the students in these programs. I'm not sure if I want to marry another doctor anyway.

16. lilmo

lilmo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i thought all doctors married other doctors. . . . . . . . . .looks like i might have to hit up my friend felipe after all:)

anyways, i'm actually a texas resident due to my family's residency. i've never lived in Texas, but i'm really looking forward to checking it out next year. i'll be moving to keller, what does that area have to offer?

17. jtorres

jtorres Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

for all the single guys: FHM magazine ranked ft. worth in the top ten for beautiful single women. dallas was not far behind. me personally, i am very taken but not married. but all you eligible men should not feel concerned about a lack of women. i will tell you from personal expericnce that FHM magazine tells no lies! :D

18. STAC

STAC Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I just wanted to tell you congratulations and welcome to TxCOM!!!:clap: :thumbup: :clap:
    It was an awesome weekend for my wife and I!!! Everyone was really cool and very laid back. I enjoyed meeting some of our fellow classmates and talking with the first years. We are so excited about moving to Fort Worth! I am glad that the school is located in such an expensive, nice area. It is a beautiful area! Much better than being down in a ghetto somewhere like UTHouston or UTMB!!!

I am 100% sold on going DO and attending TCOM! It is probably the best decision I have ever made. The city, the students, the professors, the curriculum and everything else is going to be great! I think we are going to have a fun class!

Don't worry about being single...you will have tons of fun and the UNTHSC & TCU is loaded with students to go out with when you get there. The downtown bar scene was packed with people on Friday and Saturday FYI. Welcome!!!:thumbup: :) :thumbup: