For Future Jeffersonians-Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beth you lucky dog...I interviewed with you on 3/16 and haven't heard - congratulations though - I loved it too and am crossing my fingers soooooo hard! I just called the office and they said that no decision's been made on me yet which means that my interviewer wasn't able to make it to the committee meeting this week I guess...the fact you got in gives me hope though! They obviously weren't just telling us all that we weren't only interviewing for waitlist spots

Liz

Members don't see this ad.

I've got my fingers crossed for you! They meet Fridays, I heard somewhere. So maybe your interviewer will make that one and you'll here something Friday. Let us all know if you do!

AthensBeth said:
I've got my fingers crossed for you! They meet Fridays, I heard somewhere. So maybe your interviewer will make that one and you'll here something Friday. Let us all know if you do!
if they meet Fridays, and everyone was off for Spring break last week, how did you hear yesterday?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm, maybe my interviewer was able to meet the Friday after our interview day. They made the decision then but didn't send it out? I don't know.

i interviewed on a wednesday, and my interviewer was 10 minutes late to our interview because he was at an admissions committee meeting that ran late making decisions on the last batch of applicants. maybe they meet on different days each week?

With this financial aid stuff, I just completed the entrance interview. Is the office supposed to send more paperwork?

The Jefferson Ad Com meets on Wed of each week. Dr. Calahan calls accepted applicants after those meetings.

Dr Turninkoff said:
I wouldn't. I was accepted to both and while NYMC was nice in terms of location and facilities, I found Jefferson to be a far better school for the money (which is a lot in either case).

thanks a lot for the input....i kind of got that impression, but wasn't entirely sure.

hey guys, im a bit confused about the health form
1. when is it due?
2. do all the immunizations have to be new? or are they asking for a history of immunizations
3. and which is our program? it didnt say medicine, just nursing and a whole bunch of other stuff that i dont htink applied to me.

thanks

I had similar questions so I called the student health office. They forgot to put Jefferson Medical College on the student health form. The lady in the office said that they have a major problem keeping track of all of the students in the allied health programs that they re-did the forms to include what program the student is in. Unfortunately, until I called they did not realize that they left JMC off of the list. She said just write JMC class of 2009 on the front of the form.

I think the forms are due in July - not sure of the actual date.

As for the immunizations I think they want new shots or serology demonstrating that you have antibodies for the vaccines they list.

thanks vcatz.....ugh i hate getting shots!!! but i think im going to get my physical done and over with so they have a record and i can get my doc to fill it out for other med schools.......

anyways, i cant get my key yet, what is the information that they wanted us to see??

Hey, is anyone going to the reception on April 14 & 15th??? I personally will definitely be going. What do you think the appropriate dress attire is?

Members don't see this ad :)
brucecat said:
Hey, is anyone going to the reception on April 14 & 15th??? I personally will definitely be going. What do you think the appropriate dress attire is?

i'm definitely going too and i'm also wondering about the dress attire - i'm thinking its probably along the lines of dressy casual?

BubbleWand1 said:
i'm definitely going too and i'm also wondering about the dress attire - i'm thinking its probably along the lines of dressy casual?

whats dressy casual? suit and no tie? or khaki's and button down?

davedavedave said:
whats dressy casual? suit and no tie? or khaki's and button down?

i imagine its no sneakers/sweats/babyT's (or just no t-shirts for the guys since i imagine you won't be donning a baby T). i was thinking jeans and a nice sweater.

I was going to wear something nicer for the reception cause it was such a nice invitation (maybe like a skirt). But I think for Friday I definitely won't go so nice. (Jeans or Khakis and a sweater)

i was curious about attire, too. i would go for pants other than jeans though - especially for the dinner thursday night. nice pants and a button up for guys are safe.

i'll be there to see you guys on that friday for the clinical tours...however, i wont be in the 05 class as I deferred my admission until 2006. however, i'm still excited to meet everyone in the 05 class and get a feel of the student body.

i cant make it to the second look cause im low on dough and because i have an exam that day and i dont want to make it up in may..........but i hope everyone has a great time and tell me what happened!! :D

JMC Admissions said to wear "business casual" attire for the admitted students day. Specifically, they said no jeans. Business casual consists of slacks and button down shirt/polo shirt for guys and mini skirts for girls (just kidding, I have no idea what consists of business casual for women). I also assume that this means no sneakers.

thanks for getting the official word!

did anyone else receive 3 identical frat emails? = woops. also, scheduling the open house for a popular college graduation weekend isn't great either; not that it's likely to affect me ...

Yeah I definitely got a ton of the medical fraternity emails. Oh well.

Who is all going this weekend to second look?

Count me in...still haven't figured out what to wear though. Not in the mood to be business-y :p

is everyone here going for both days of second look or just the clinilcal tour day?

i am from the philly area and may just goto the clinical tours day instead of the dinner the night before since i'll have to skip lab to goto that.

Hey, i'm new to this thread...but i'm most prolly goint to jeff next year.
I'm attending the second look but I live in NC and they still havent found me a host :(

anyone else on the same boat?

Flying up from RDU (in NC) Thursday after work, thus not going to the dinner on Thursday (I think you have to be more dressed up for that then on Friday). How many people attend this thing on Friday? I'd assume 200-300? Also, I lost my invitation, what time does it start (and location) and end? Thanks.

The schedule is as follows:

Thursday
5-7pm dinner (Jeff Alumni Hall Cafeteria)

Friday
8:30---Buffet Breakfast (Bluemle Life Sciences Building-Room 105)
8:45-9:45---Fin aid overview
Break
10-11am---Advances in Neurosurgery, Learning resource center
11-11:45---JMC Curriculum update
12-1pm---Lunch with faculty & students
1-3pm---Clinical tours
3:15-4pm---International Opportunities
4-5pm---Cultural Diversity at Jeff

Hope that helps! :)

mtndoll said:
The schedule is as follows:

Thursday
5-7pm dinner (Jeff Alumni Hall Cafeteria)

Friday
8:30---Buffet Breakfast (Bluemle Life Sciences Building-Room 105)
8:45-9:45---Fin aid overview
Break
10-11am---Advances in Neurosurgery, Learning resource center
11-11:45---JMC Curriculum update
12-1pm---Lunch with faculty & students
1-3pm---Clinical tours
3:15-4pm---International Opportunities
4-5pm---Cultural Diversity at Jeff

Hope that helps! :)

For those of you going to second look this Thursday, just out of curiosity, who's staying with student hosts? i'm staying at one of the co-ed medical frat houses, so that should definitely be interesting haha. see everyone on thursday!

I'll certainly be there on Thursday. But they STILL havent found me a host! But in any case, I'm kind of excited about Jeff.

rdavid, you're from NC right? I've been checking the unc/ecu thread 40 times a day...I interviewed at unc in october, still havent heard a word... :mad:

What are most of ya'll doing about housing? I got another letter from the Jeff Housing department encouraging the on-campus apartments. Do we get to see these on Friday? Any advice?

i'm holding off on sending in a housing application until later. i didn't read the fine print too closely, but i didn't want to commit myself to a full-year lease of on-campus housing without seeing all theother options out there. unless on-campus housing is month-to-month. anyone know?

lightnk102 said:
i'm holding off on sending in a housing application until later. i didn't read the fine print too closely, but i didn't want to commit myself to a full-year lease of on-campus housing without seeing all theother options out there. unless on-campus housing is month-to-month. anyone know?
the on-campus housing is a year lease but you can send it in now anyway - you don't commit to anything until they actually find you housing. if you send it now, you'll be one of the first offered housing - once they find you something, then you can say whether you want that or not.

Finally, I can legitimately add my name to this thread - I just got that glorious call today and I am definitely coming to Jeff this fall or next! Originally, I planned to defer, but I'm having second thoughts now...still not sure though...anyone know about defering, Yan, didn't you say you're deferring? Mind if I ask your reason and what you had to do to request it? I still can't quite believe this is real, I'm just so, so happy and relieved...hope you all had a great time at the second look, I couldn't have afforded the trip even if I had heard earlier, so oh well...anybody know about how far Jeff is from PCOM? Also, no one ever touched back on the needing a car for years 3 and 4, is this true?

Liz

congrats liz!!! i know you've been wanting this one for a long time now! :thumbup: :D

krebse said:
Finally, I can legitimately add my name to this thread - I just got that glorious call today and I am definitely coming to Jeff this fall or next! Originally, I planned to defer, but I'm having second thoughts now...still not sure though...anyone know about defering, Yan, didn't you say you're deferring? Mind if I ask your reason and what you had to do to request it? I still can't quite believe this is real, I'm just so, so happy and relieved...hope you all had a great time at the second look, I couldn't have afforded the trip even if I had heard earlier, so oh well...anybody know about how far Jeff is from PCOM? Also, no one ever touched back on the needing a car for years 3 and 4, is this true?

Liz

Congratulations on getting in! If you'd like to defer, call/email Grace Hershmann. She's very understanding and will be happy to talk to you about making the decision and what to do if you end up deferring.

You could probably get along without a car during 3rd and 4th year. If you end up doing a rotation out at Geisinger or Pittsburgh, you could probably carpool with someone.

Jefferson is kind of far from PCOM (at least in my mind). PCOM is in the western part of the city, along City Line Avenue. It's not far from St. Joe's University. Jefferson is Center City, so it's probably around 10-15 miles away. It's probably accessible by SEPTA, though.

thanks guys...I'm going to miss my Mazda...I have a friend that will be attending PCOM this fall and we were considering trying to live together, but I really want to be within a 5 mnutes walk of campus and she doesn't want to be farther than a couple minutes drive, so I'll just give up on that idea right now! DMK, how difficult is it to get into the coed frat? The living situation is exactly what I'm looking for...

Liz

I went all the way to page 8 to retrieve this thing, but I think we should make an attempt to keep all Jefferson conversation here since it's the oldest and longest and most informative thread so far.

so how did everyone find the reception this past weekend?

First, I am going to state that I love Jefferson and am looking forward to school there. Now, about the past weekend. I was unimpressed with the day in general. Too much talk about things we have either heard about already (financial aid) or things that were insignificant (how to pick your rotations for 3rd and 4th year). I wish they would have focused more on descriptions of classes/labs for the first two years and possibly a tour of the labs or apartments. Also, the clinial tour kind of sucked and consisted of the doc basically teaching a class with not much a tour. That said, I thought the international opportunity part was interesting.

If you have any questions I may be able to answer some questions, I am a first year. I am not sure about the second look weekend and how it went because I didn't attend this year or last. As for general stuff on classes and labs I can answer most of your questions.

Hey I visited Jefferson not knowing what to expect, but I loved it. I got in in January, and I am so excited!! :D One of my friends told me about this site. I'm in New Orleans -- graduating Tulane in a month. I'm sad to leave NOLA, but I have a good feeling about Philli. It has major culture, and I love that!

I am also interested in the medical fraternity. The living situation (and rent) sounds SUPERB!! I am graduating on the day that they have open house. Does anyone know anything about the co-ed one??

I can't wait to meet all of yall!

W222 said:
If you have any questions I may be able to answer some questions, I am a first year. I am not sure about the second look weekend and how it went because I didn't attend this year or last. As for general stuff on classes and labs I can answer most of your questions.

Thanks 222, but I just wanted to get a better feel for the buildings/campus and life in general. Simple stuff like where is the gym, where do students eat lunch, what amount of time do you spend actually interacting with patients during your first couple years, were all topics that were not addressed. I guess I do kind of understand them trying to highlight stuff like rotations and international opportunities because alot of people there were still deciding about jeff. But, for those of us that had already decided, the whole day was kind of boring.

I agree, I would have appreciated more talks given by students -- nobody was really paying attention when students were speaking during lunch.
And I would rethink financial aid being first thing in the morning (= :sleep: ) and so long. They should maybe use that time to talk about scholarship opportunities.
Seeing apartments and learning more about the first year curriculumn and opportunities during M1 would have been great, too.
However, I did enjoy the friendly atmosphere, which is, for me, one of Jeff's biggest draws.

rdavid said:
Thanks 222, but I just wanted to get a better feel for the buildings/campus and life in general. Simple stuff like where is the gym, where do students eat lunch, what amount of time do you spend actually interacting with patients during your first couple years, were all topics that were not addressed. I guess I do kind of understand them trying to highlight stuff like rotations and international opportunities because alot of people there were still deciding about jeff. But, for those of us that had already decided, the whole day was kind of boring.

I can answer one of those questions at least. The gym is basically a floor below the area we had the reception and lunch at second look day. We saw it when we were on our tour on interview day.
I can say one thing about 2nd look day however. Could they have fed us anymore? If I were choosing on food, I would definitely pick Jeff.

rdavid said:

I was one of the 1st years helping out at second look, and I can understand where you're coming from. The problem is, most of what you want to know depends on the individual student. I eat lunch in the student lounge, but I also live off campus. Other people go home, and some people don't eat lunch at all. There are 3 mandatory clinical office visits during your first year, but, again, some people have a lot more patient exposure (I know of someone who's been out to JeffHOPE 8 times now), and a few people opt to have less (especially if they're married and have kids, etc). Med school, in many ways, is the exact opposite of college - the basic science curriculum is standardized between students to the point where you don't get to choose your classes or what time you go to class, but your experience outside the classroom is very individual. There isn't much of that universal "college experience" that everyone talks about in undergrad.

There probably would have been more student talks if second look day didn't overlap with so many things - diversity week, final exams, end of the year stuff, preparing for Step I, etc. Since all student groups are student-run, everyone was really busy. I did think that it was a shame that they made Dr. McManus talk about JeffMentors when everyone was focussed on eating lunch - it's a really good program, and Dr. McManus is a great faculty advisor. I was also surprised that they didn't have more talks about things like JeffHOPE, JeffYES, JeffMOMs, JeffELECT, Move for Health, SNMA, etc, but they probably ran into time and space constraints. Plus, that's what orientation is for, anyhow.

Hope that helps!

Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone who is going to be living off-campus has had any experience with Philadelphia Management (the realty company). I found a few of their apartment buildings that I wanted to look at, so I e-mailed two of their leasing agents a few days ago. I still haven't heard back from them. I just wondered if anyone else has had any experience with them, either positive or negative. I am sort of rethinking living in one of their buildings if this is the kind of service they give their residents. Thanks for any feedback.

Hi guys,

My name is Olga C Nin, but everyone calls me Kiki. I am from Puerto Rico and I currently live in Miami. I am very excited about this coming August but I agree that during the interview day they didn't talk much about class schedule or showed us the labs. Anyone knows how many students per cadaver for anatomy? What is a tipical day like? What are the hours of class time, labs or meeting times?

afr0dite01 said:
I can answer one of those questions at least. The gym is basically a floor below the area we had the reception and lunch at second look day. We saw it when we were on our tour on interview day.
I can say one thing about 2nd look day however. Could they have fed us anymore? If I were choosing on food, I would definitely pick Jeff.

hi there,

how was the gym at jeff?

does jeff have a pool to use? basketball courts? squash?

etc?

thanks!

just got my housing package today.......is there anything in phili that is cheaper than the $540 for the three bedrooms? i like the residences, but I'd like to live off campus and share an apartment with ppl........or is the three bedroom the cheapest there can be?

Kikinin said:
Hi guys,

My name is Olga C Nin, but everyone calls me Kiki. I am from Puerto Rico and I currently live in Miami. I am very excited about this coming August but I agree that during the interview day they didn't talk much about class schedule or showed us the labs. Anyone knows how many students per cadaver for anatomy? What is a tipical day like? What are the hours of class time, labs or meeting times?

Hi -
Just so everyone knows, student tour guides are NOT allowed to bring people into the anatomy lab. The course coordinator for anatomy has a rule that anyone who doesn't have a legitimate reason to be in the cadaver lab (i.e. as an anatomy student, as a 4th year TA, or teaching the course) cannot be allowed into the lab, even under supervision. It's out of respect to the cadavers who donated their bodies, and to their families. Plus, some people aren't prepared to go through the lab, so it's not fair to ask them to go in. The histology lab, while not off limits, is very boring - everyone locks their microscope and slides in cabinets, so there's nothing to see.

6 students per cadaver, divided into teams of 3. Each group switches off dissection session, and then comes in to teach the other group what they dissected. You need about 3 students per dissection session, to help flip the cadavers onto their stomachs/backs, lift up the legs, etc.

There is no typical class schedule. You receive a schedule at the beginning of each block that details your day-by-day class schedule. There are some days where you start at 10, and finish by 12, and other days where you start at 8, and your last lecture ends at 5 or 5:30. You might also have lab from 8-12 or 1-5, and small group around twice a month, although that also depends. Generally, your lecture schedule will be heaviest right after an exam, and gradually lighten up right before the next exam. You have an exam every month or so. Your schedule is probably not the same from week to week, which was a big transition from college, where your weekly rhythm stays the same throughout the semester.

Hope this helps! Good luck, and hope you all have smooth transitions to med school! :)