for gals -- fashionable white coats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find a high quality, more fashionable white coat for the wards? For the past two years I have been using this ugly, boxy mens' coat (they gave them to us at the white coat ceremony.) It would be nice to have something that was a bit more fitted along the torso, and didn't hit at the widest part of the hips. Has anyone else had this problem?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I'd mention that if you do find a more flattering style of coat, make sure you get it in a slightly larger size than actually fits. I was just fitted for mine, and I was advised that during rotations your pockets would be STUFFED with mini-guides, equipment and whatever else you need to get you thru the day, and that many times you are required to wear your coat buttoned, so leave a little extra room :)

why don't you just spend 10 bucks and have it fitted at a tailor or dry cleaner. They should be able to alter the coat with no problem.

check out http://www.allheart.com/nursesuniforms.html, or your local uniform store.
I personally have this coat: http://www.allheart.com/nursesuniforms.html. I am quite fond of all the pockets, and the slightly longer length of other "short coats". I'm not necesasrily a fan of the rounded collar or the "pin-tucked" design on the breast pocket. I liked it enough that when it came time to get a new coat, I ordered the same one from allheart.com

The white coat I was given at our white coat ceremony was rediculous -- sleeves were too long, shoulders too wide, etc. Since I had specifically gone, tried on, and found a coat that fit (and then was given one completley different) as I was instructed AND since I am NOT A MAN I thought it was rediculous to expect me to wear a man's coat. I complained enough to get authorized to go pick out a new coat. Anyway, the coat above is the one I picked out after trying on a bazillion coats. It certainly is the most flatterning. I agree to get a coat slightly bigger -- mine is a 14 though I wear a 10/12 suit coat and a medium shirt. However, I got it for the extra room (esp good with big sweaters in the winter) and ability to move my arms around, not because I've ever been expected to button it.