for graduating med students, a gift for the significant other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscles

student of the month
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
with graduation nearing the corner, I have been reminiscing about how I have really put my wife through the ringer over the past 4 years and was thinking of something nice I could buy her as a token of appreciation for her support. Anybody else out there thinking of doing something similar? Money is a little tight right now but I'm thinking something from Tiffany's...

Members don't see this ad.

You're so amazing! I was not planning to get anything b/c I was unthoughtful, but I'm definitely getting him something. I think all girls love Tiffany's things. I personally like a Hermes handbag (never gonna happen...I would have to sell my first born).

Muscles, I think your wife is a lucky woman!

with graduation nearing the corner, I have been reminiscing about how I have really put my wife through the ringer over the past 4 years and was thinking of something nice I could buy her as a token of appreciation for her support. Anybody else out there thinking of doing something similar? Money is a little tight right now but I'm thinking something from Tiffany's...

nah... get her a gift certificate to a really nice spa.... she'll LOVE IT! I've gotten a few of those and appreciate them MORE than jewlery or flowers!

Members don't see this ad :)
nah... get her a gift certificate to a really nice spa.... she'll LOVE IT! I've gotten a few of those and appreciate them MORE than jewlery or flowers!

Really? you'd take a spa over tiffany's. I always thought that tiffany's was the gold standard of gift giving

Really? you'd take a spa over tiffany's. I always thought that tiffany's was the gold standard of gift giving

nah... whenever I get expensive jewlery, I always feel bad b/c I never wear it... my cartier watch (worth 3K) is in my closet...I hate wearing expensive jewlery just to show off.... and I don't like jewlery period.... a spa gift certificate is much more fun... I find it more enjoyable... anyways if you get her jewlery you run the risk of getting her something she dosn't like and spending lots of cash on in....

Get her a bowling ball with your name engraved on it! (Homer Simpson reference)

Depends on her likes. Jewelry works with most women, and it needn't be the name brand, which will be a LOT more expensive that pieces of comparable quality. For example, in Costco, you can buy very fine quality diamonds, sapphires, pearls, emeralds, etc. for much, much cheaper than Tiffany's. Some antique stores have stunning traditional looking jewelry that's much cheaper - I got a pair of beautiful Victorian diamond earrings for my sister's graduation from an antique store for a very good price.

If she likes a particular author, TV show, composer, perfomer, you could get her a comprehensive CD/DVD/book set.

There's also always perfume, purses, potted plants (rose?).

Sorry in advance to be such a wet towel.

You might have put your wife through the ringer with med school, but it's nothing compared with what you will put her through in residency, fellowship and early faculty--including financial pressures, stress and work hours. This is especially the case if you have kids or if you are planning to have kids.

My wife strictly forbade me from giving her any expensive trinkets or accessories as our finances are locked together. Given all the things we need to spend our money on (mortgage payments, student loans, child expenses, nanny, etc.), my wife has become exceptionally conservative financially (any time I buy her an expensive gift, she'd eventually make me return it).

This has left me in very much of a bind when it comes to finding her a gift. Turns out that the gifts she values most are those that I make with my own hands or a trip/excursion for us to have some quality time together. Some of the most well-received gifts include:
1. A hand made gift card (pretty goofy I know) with an itinerary for a romantic getaway at a New England B&B.
2. Tickets for a respite at Peter island (British Virgin Islands).
3. A weekend promise to spend time together and not turn on my computer.
4. A home-made DVD movie of some of our happiest moments (quite easy to make with iMovie or Adobe Premiere Elements).

The unfortunate truth is that marriages with physicians are more predisposed to failure for a multiplicity of reasons. Not being happy almost never has to do with a lack of trinkets. What most marriages need are consistent displays of love and commitment (demonstrated especially by committing to spend TIME together). I think special occasions call for a special commitment at getting back to the basics. My wife never got misty over a trinket, but she has over a sloppy and stupid appearing card made with colored construction paper, tinfoil and gluestick (took me a whole day to make it too).

i like #1 and #4. Actually, I always do hand-made or hand-written notes as opposed hallmark. I never thought of home-made DVD's though; I will definitely make one of these and give it to her though, I'm sure she'd love it.

As far as my original question though, I ended up going with a very nice necklace from Tiffany's. I agree that med school is nothing compared to residency and there are some tough days ahead, but I really wanted to do something nice, something to show her how appreciative I am of the past 4 years; basically, med school went really well for me and I have a great residency lined up and I am convinced that none of it would have been possible if she hadn't made the sacrifices she did on my account. Was jewelry necessary to accomplish this - no, but I wanted to do something special to mark the occasion; the jewelry combined with grendels #4 above should about do it.

Thanks!